Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ricochet55

Aiming at a dead horse

16 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
498 battles

...and I probably missed. :)

No, seriously, I found this game late November, and I've been playing daily. I've read a lot of posts about aiming, watched some youtube videos (I got messed up early on because a video I thought was explaining dynamic crosshairs was actually one of the static ones (dynamic had only recently came out when the video was published), getting game time in when I can (full time job limits stuff). I'm currently maining non-USN BB's and RU DD's. Very early on I decided to use dynamic crosshairs only.

I was playing a couple hours tonight, aimed carefully (it was coming at an angle)... and missed. As usual.

I just then realize that I didn't seem to be making any progress in aiming, and aiming is like almost everything in BB's.

For the more experienced people here (probably everybody ;) ) what's the realistic time to put in this game before aiming becomes more consistent? (BB dispersion doesn't help either). I would much rather have BB's do 90% less damage if they hit 90% more often.

I'd like to continue this game, but from my point of view, aiming seems to be RNG whether I hit or not, and I have been trying.

Are there any high-level tips, or should I go back to MMO's? I've got nothing to lose by asking. Thanks :) 

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

I'd highly recommend trying out the early tier cruisers to get a handle on the basics of aiming. 

Aiming is pretty easy when someone is sailing broadside to you: aim at the waterline with AP and give enough lead so the enemy ship travels into your shells. When the enemy ship is turning or sailing towards/away from you is when you need to elevate or depress the reticle, not just aim where the ship is on your screen.

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles

IChaseGaming has some videos out on the fundamentals of the game if you have not seen them yet. One thing to bear in mind is dispersion. Low level BBs have terrible dispersion and miss a lot. As you play more it gets better. Really, it does

Members
5,450 posts
21,023 battles

Have you tire enabling Alternate Battle Interface? You can see it by holding down Alt while aimed at a target, its a stop watch that tells you how long it will take for your shell to reach the point of aim. Than you apply that number to the numbers on you cross hair. That just leaves the guess work, battleships seem to match the number or they sail a bit slower, cruiser can be a mixed bag but tend to be a bit faster than the shell flight time, destroyers are almost always faster. 

If you would like to see the Alternate Battle Interface all the time without pressing the Alt Key, if can be found in Settings, under Controls and its a check box that needs to be ticked. 

Also if you are having trouble with ships sailing at approach or departure angles than you might try cross hair mod 7, I thank that is right, it is a static cross hair with lines radiating from the center point. I find it helps me with those pesky angled ships. 

Other than that you need a lot of practice, not only with the guns but with how other ships move. The faster firing guns of cruisers or destroyers help you fire for effect and dial in your shots. But ever ship is different in some respects and learning how those shells act can take time, depending on their change from ship to ship. 

One last tip, while water line shots on broad side ships is what everyone wants all it takes to dodge those is a bit of rudder adjustment and your shells eat water not citadels. If you keep seeing shells splash beside a ships try moving your aim up the side of the hull a bit, you might not get a citadel but you are more likely to do damage. 

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

Suggestion: Try giving ample leading. Seriously, I find it it's best to give lots of lead rather than less lead to your shots.

Your aim will gradually improve. The Three big things for accurate shooting: Judging your ship's shell velocity (accounting for distance), judging your target's sailing speed, and judging your target's angle (relative to yours).

Also, try shooting closer to the waterline of the ship, if shooting with a BB. If shooting from a Dd/CA, you wan to aim higher if using HE, towards the deck.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

IChaseGaming has some videos out on the fundamentals of the game if you have not seen them yet. One thing to bear in mind is dispersion. Low level BBs have terrible dispersion and miss a lot. As you play more it gets better. Really, it does

That crapabout the reticle and numbers is confusing to me. I just use my experience rather than using the dammed reticle... Just give ample leading, and that's it.

[_AFW_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
551 posts
8,359 battles

That crapabout the reticle and numbers is confusing to me. I just use my experience rather than using the dammed reticle... Just give ample leading, and that's it.

The crap about the reticle is the easiest way to accurately lead someone. It's good to try to guesstimate with experience, and double check with the time to target and the number of tick marks you are leading by. If they are fairly close, then your guesstimate is probably right. If not, you might be missing something.

Also don't forget that that if someone is sailing away from you by even a few degrees, aiming at waterline will cause the shot to go long or short by more than the height of the ship. Always make sure to check the map for the angle of the enemy ship.

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

There's more to that over what iChase covers. Sure the numbers along the lines would help, but how would you be able to determine what speed a ship is going at? You can't just look at a ship sailing in the ocean & be able to tell that he's going 30 kts or w/e. Also, zooming out helps quite a bit when it comes to leading (imo), because zooming in all the way doesn't help you see the big picture (literally and no pun intended). You can also try test shots to see how fast the enemy ship is going.

I'm just used to aiming at moving targets & flight time from older games that it didn't take me long to be able to lead properly in this game.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

The crap about the reticle is the easiest way to accurately lead someone. It's good to try to guesstimate with experience, and double check with the time to target and the number of tick marks you are leading by. If they are fairly close, then your guesstimate is probably right. If not, you might be missing something.

Also don't forget that that if someone is sailing away from you by even a few degrees, aiming at waterline will cause the shot to go long or short by more than the height of the ship. Always make sure to check the map for the angle of the enemy ship.

No. I rather fight the enemy than the interface or a formula >.>

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

No. I rather fight the enemy than the interface or a formula >.>

Really? It's not that tough bud! BB is time @ 1x, Cruisers 1.5x and DD requires 2x lead. 

I personally use the dynamic reticle so it scales up nicely.  That's just a starting off point and individual guns perform in the ball park, it's just up to you to learn the 'nuances' of their ballistic performance.

Experience with the guns you are using is the best way however. I've played USN DD almost exclusively for 6 months now and don't even need to look at the time or reticle now, you gain the feel for the rifles. Even landing accurate shots with AFT is possible once you're used to the lunar launch arcs.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

Really? It's not that tough bud! BB is time @ 1x, Cruisers 1.5x and DD requires 2x lead. 

I personally use the dynamic reticle so it scales up nicely.  That's just a starting off point and individual guns perform in the ball park, it's just up to you to learn the 'nuances' of their ballistic performance.

Experience with the guns you are using is the best way however. I've played USN DD almost exclusively for 6 months now and don't even need to look at the time or reticle now, you gain the feel for the rifles. Even landing accurate shots with AFT is possible once you're used to the lunar launch arcs.

Still, no. I do fine by judging ship angle, speed and shell velocity by eyeball. Your shot will always be aim assisted by the game to a degree to make you hit the targeted ship, anyway. :tea_cap:

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

Still, no. I do fine by judging ship angle, speed and shell velocity by eyeball. Your shot will always be aim assisted by the game to a degree to make you hit the targeted ship, anyway. :tea_cap:

Too bad your "judgement" doesn't just transfer over to the OP though, right? It's hard to feel if you don't know exactly what you are feeling for. Glad your system is working for you though.

Members
127 posts
5,424 battles

When you get a new ship play pve to get a feel for the velocity and dispersion of your guns, also always leave the alternate battle interface on, shell flight time is extremely useful for leading shots. Another thing is I find the spotter plane useful just because it raises the camera angle, makes it easier to judge speed when a target is moving twords or away from you.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

No, seriously, I found this game late November, and I've been playing daily. I've read a lot of posts about aiming, watched some youtube videos (I got messed up early on because a video I thought was explaining dynamic crosshairs was actually one of the static ones (dynamic had only recently came out when the video was published), getting game time in when I can (full time job limits stuff). I'm currently maining non-USN BB's and RU DD's. Very early on I decided to use dynamic crosshairs only.

I was playing a couple hours tonight, aimed carefully (it was coming at an angle)... and missed. As usual.

I just then realize that I didn't seem to be making any progress in aiming, and aiming is like almost everything in BB's.

For the more experienced people here (probably everybody ;) ) what's the realistic time to put in this game before aiming becomes more consistent? (BB dispersion doesn't help either). I would much rather have BB's do 90% less damage if they hit 90% more often.

I'd like to continue this game, but from my point of view, aiming seems to be RNG whether I hit or not, and I have been trying.

Are there any high-level tips, or should I go back to MMO's? I've got nothing to lose by asking. Thanks :) 

If you haven't already switch to the dynamic crosshairs. They help out A LOT. Also like it was mentioned go over to Co-OP as it's a lot easier to learn early gunnery over there since the targets are nto juking and jinking as much and it helps to fine tune the basics.

GL!

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
4,017 battles

I'm going to be up front here and there's always somebody who will disagree-- low tier BB gunnery sucks a55 and there are no tip you receive here will change that if you already have a grasp of the basics. Each BB salvo is a complete roll of the dice even if you are aready aware of such basics like 'aim for the waterline,' 'lead your target,' and the like. One moment you will have tight groups that will reward your skill. The next, your gun barrels are now facing 90' angles opposite of one another.

Having said that, i only have the following advice:

1. Take every shot you have available. Unless you have an overriding reason not to, remember the fact that BB salvos are dice rolls. The more rolls you make against a target, the better the chances you'll come upvwith a jackpot. And contrary to popular belief, this includes taking shots against targets at any angle. Unless you are certain that they will present a better one in the immedite future, TAKE THE SHOT.

2. Fire turrets one at a time. Likewise space your rate of fire out as you cycle through them. Unless you can guarantee a devestating alph strike, moderate your rate of fire so that at least one other turret is at or near cooldown. This allows you to not only account for changing circumstance- target aspect angle, for instance -but keeps you from being caught with your pants down while you wait out a thirty second cooldown.

The above can be seen below with some degree of success versus RNG trolling.

If you can stand the framerate issues, here as well.

Members
564 posts
670 battles

Shoot at bots.

Also....

Pretty much any shooting I have done real or gaming one thing has always helped me. Get out in front, you are better off being to far ahead of your target than behind. It is easier to adjust your aim when you aren't chasing what you are shooting at, let the target come to your rounds. Granted this could just be me but I have had pretty good success with that general rule.

Sign in to follow this