You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SonnyLee

Why bother with Cruisers?

131 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
9 posts
3,652 battles

So in a DD or BB I can take multiple hits from any ship and keep cruising.  I can take one volley from a BB in a Cruiser and I'm shaking hands with Davey Jones.  I only play BBs and DDs now because of this and have noticed a lot of matches BB and DD heavy.  Surely due to this factor.  Is there an adjustment coming in the future or should I just sell all of my Cruisers?

Beta Testers
635 posts
7,023 battles

Keep your cruisers. If you are in the position to take a volley from a BB that does that much damage your not actively trying to remain angled to those ships and changing speed. Makes sure to do these and you will find that cruiser gameplay can be very exciting and rewarding.

• Cool 2

[TXGUN]
[TXGUN]
Members
4,596 posts
13,541 battles

I play Cruisers for the challenge of playing something that is hard to play. it takes alot of skill to play one and that translates into being better at playing my bbs as I try to play my bbs alot like I play my Cruisers. 

Members
1,819 posts

Keep your cruisers. If you are in the position to take a volley from a BB that does that much damage your not actively trying to remain angled to those ships and changing speed. Makes sure to do these and you will find that cruiser gameplay can be very exciting and rewarding.

I saw it happen to a cruiser on my team less than a minute into a match, tier 8 BB took essentially a pop shot across the map and happened to connect a few seconds before the cruiser got under island cover, short 1 cruiser. This is kinda silly...

99.99% of players go for highest reward for least effort... cruisers arent anywhere near there, either BB's or Destroyers are.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Cruisers are high risk, high reward. Some of them are very potent ships, and can put a hurt on any other type.

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

If you are getting one shot in cruisers from BBs then you are sitting broadside, and therefore the issue is not the ship. 

Cruisers are dangerous ships if played right, however there is no doubt that the meta is currently BBs and DDs: especially at high tiers.

[VANN]
[VANN]
Members
965 posts
6,156 battles

A cruiser can provide constant fire against battleships that can really knock them off their game by continually setting them on fire, etc.  In addition, they have the mobility and firepower (guns and often torps) to counter destroyers and other cruisers in closer quarters that are difficult for battleships.  They are definitely harder, but can be a lot more exciting if you have a stellar cruiser game and really contribute to your team's win.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,651 battles

No real upcoming changes planned for cruisers, as for why to play them.. don't? If you don't enjoy them then don't play them. Cruisers run a knife-edge style of play in the sense that when played well they can be spectacular, but one mistake can earn you a one-way trip to the port. Right now, cruisers are one of the most challenging classes to play because of a heavy battleship meta and how costly even a momentary lapse in situational awareness can be. You have to be willing to embrace the challenge, otherwise you are better off playing something else because it just gets worse as you progress through the tiers.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

If you are getting one shot in cruisers from BBs then you are sitting broadside, and therefore the issue is not the ship. 

Cruisers are dangerous ships if played right, however there is no doubt that the meta is currently BBs and DDs: especially at high tiers.

against 16" or bigger gun, you can be lolpenned at any angle.    i still enjoy playing CAs, but it takes lot of skill to do decent in it at higher tier.  at mid tier, it isn't so bad.0

Beta Testers
389 posts
7,230 battles

Cruisers provide a flexibility of speed, agility and firepower that neither BBs or DDs can match. It is why I have the majority of my games played in cruisers and still play them so much.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,120 battles

I love Cruisers 3000 games worth , I suck at DDs and find BBs to slow , with Cruisers you need good situational awarness , who can hit you now and who can hit you in 30 seconds so you can avoid,and be aware BBs will shoot at you when your broadside ,never sail straight ,always constantly turn port and starboard so when they do fire most will miss... it seems to be a game mechanic, in all my games if im doing this maneuver have never been citadeled nor taken heavy damage when a BB shoots at you... never sail alone and get incoming fire alert, if the incoming fire alert shows do an immediate hard turn , use Islands for cover, also one of the things I do when ship is seen but on other side of Island is fire a ride along spotter round so you travel with the shell see were it hits correct and fire for effect , my ride along round is shot by pressing the scroll button

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

against 16" or bigger gun, you can be lolpenned at any angle.    i still enjoy playing CAs, but it takes lot of skill to do decent in it at higher tier.  at mid tier, it isn't so bad.0

True however it is extremely unlikely to be one shotted. High tier CAs have 40-50k health and getting quad citadeled through the front is essentially impossible. 

Cruisers certainly have not fared well since the open beta started though. More and more strong lines added, BFT and AFT nerfs early this year and CVs becoming quite the rarity. 

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

Old issues.

Cruisers are not forgiving. If you always took that devastating salvo that one-shots you, you are not familier with game mechanics and the basics of survival in world of warships, which I admit is a fairly challenging.

Keep in mind, Cruisers have the best tier for tier artillery overall in the game. But you have to stay alive to shoot your guns, which is where problem begins.

To give you a stop gap cruiser guide, never be 10km away from a bb and 4km to a dd. Keep you distance, don't be the first one spotted on the enemy team.

If you have to get shot at, you make your stern the place that got hit.

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Everyone think some class is OP. There threads about the OPness of cruisers. They are versatile jack-of-all-trades. They are probably the highest skill cap ship, but they can take down any opposing ship if they know what they are doing.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Because...

Do you see this 17024HP gearing here?

shot-16.11.20_11.50.23-0452_zpseauq0rqy.

Well, now you don't

shot-16.11.20_11.50.30-0451_zps38arityo.

DDs more resilient to BB shells?

Nah

Beta Testers
9 posts
3,652 battles

you don't seem to understand.  i'm not retarded. I know how to play. I can one shot a cruiser from almost any angle.  I can move and grove in my cruisers and it doesn't matter.

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

you say cruisers this and cruisers that and make excuses. come face me in a same tier BB from equal range.

Not available to play.

But I'm certain you are gonna get [edited] XD

"From equal range"

What does that mean? You want a cruiser sitting duck under 10km don't you?

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

CAs are not tanky, they cant take hits like other classes can and keep going, you have to use smart play to keep yourself from being hit Sorry its not for everyone but you can still do really well in CAs if you play it right. 

Cruisers are in the dev dog house at the moment, one of them must have shot some holes in the one of the Dev's garage or something.

Let me give you some advice: Usually its better to have some experience in something before you make broad generalizations about it. 

Edited by 1nv4d3rZ1m

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,072 posts
1,514 battles

Ys and no, All cruisers can be bow penned at any angle by same tier BB's, but most of the T6 and under cruisers have their citadels so far back from the Bow/Stern that if their pointed nose straight at the guy shooting them it is very difficult to nigh impossible to cit them. That, and weak tall citedels at low tiers is why brits are so notoriously weak. With the exception of the leander none of their cruisers have that arrangement. In fact the Leander, shares the same rare category as the Omaha and Phoneix, it flat out cannot be bow citedeled if it's nose is pointed straight at the opponent. The shells physically won't travel far enough back into the hull from the bow to reach it, (tested with my tirpitz). Although it is more vulnerable to plunging citadels AFAIK, i think there's part of the roof thats pennable unlike the Omaha/Phoenix.

Beta Testers
9 posts
3,652 battles

Yeah, hate to bust your bubble but I've taken out cruisers in one volley from a volley fired on their bow..   doesn't really matter their position.

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

Cruisers are high risk, high reward. Some of them are very potent ships, and can put a hurt on any other type.

I think DDs are this, not cruisers. Cruisers are more medium risk, high reward. BBs low risk, med reward. DDs high risk, very high reward.

CVs are in dev hell :P