You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ajatcho

Cold War era DD's?!?!?

244 comments in this topic

Members
943 posts
4,083 battles

Soviet Destroyer Branch Update

We're happy to highlight the history of the Russian Navy with an alternate branch of the best Soviet destroyers of the Cold War era. Expect ships like Smelyi, Neustrashimyi and the Project 56 destroyers!

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/whatsinthebox/

hmmm... wonder if they ever put DD's with SAM's that way CV's would stop bothering DD's :teethhappy:
  • Cool 1

[YARRR]
Members
735 posts
5,955 battles

I'd like an Iowa as she was last deployed.

CWIS, Tomahawks, oh and can it have a Harrier instead of the helos too as long as we are adding modern stuff to the mix?

Or maybe an Arleigh Burke,  yeah, that's the ticket.

How about USS Long Beach too, that's a nice Cold War ship...

bCY9E9.jpg

:amazed:

Edited by ElAurens

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

I note that the only Cold War era ships in WoWs are Russian (initially Kutuzov and now this destroyer line-up).

It's understandable that neither Germany nor Japan fielded anything worthwhile during the early period (1947 to 1953) but the British certainly did and so did the USA.

The later period (1954 - 1991) definitely saw warship designs emanating from Germany, Japan, France and Scandinavian countries in addition to the Soviet Union, Britain and the USA.

Which begs the question: will our Russian masters consider the entire period from 1947 to 1991 to be the "Cold War era" for the sake of providing new ships for us to play with?

Edited by JervisBay
  • Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

French BBs with cold war era AA. 

Look at em 57mm Bofors and 100mm DPs

Would love a premium Jean Bart in her late 1950's configuration! :playing:
  • Cool 1

[LJP]
Members
116 posts
6,548 battles

Well the first references to these that I found, pretty much imply that the Smelyi is going to be a Soobrazitelnyy class destroyer, which is essentially a Gnevny with another couple of knots top end and another 100 tons displacement so more HP. Neustrashimy and the Project 56 or Kotlin class are slower than the entirety of the current Russian DD line beyond tier 5 (36-38 knots ain't bad though), have 2x2 main gun turrets like the Ognevoi, but have two quintuple torpedo launchers. And for those worrying about "Cold War", these ships were made in the 1950's so they are near contemporaries of the Kutuzov. 

@JervisBay - technically the Des Moines, Iowa, Cleveland, Baltimore, Gearing, Fletcher, Essex and Midway are all Cold War ships too as they served on for various lengths into the Cold War. As is the Edinburgh via Belfast. Also HMS Vanguard if/when the RN BB line gets it is also Cold War era.

• Cool 5

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Belfast is in her 50s configuration. Des Moines wasn't launched until well after the war ended. 

There are quite a number of cold war era ships in the game, really. Chapayev and Kutuzov being the only two real ships from the postwar era in the Russian tree.

• Cool 1

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

....@JervisBay - technically the Des Moines, Iowa, Cleveland, Baltimore, Gearing, Fletcher, Essex and Midway are all Cold War ships too as they served on for various lengths into the Cold War. As is the Edinburgh via Belfast. Also HMS Vanguard if/when the RN BB line gets it is also Cold War era.

Yep...I understand.

I was thinking more of ships which never saw action in WW2 and/or which were commissioned after August 1945.

And regarding HMS Vanguard....that is one ship I'd love to see in the game.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,117 posts
30,885 battles

Pfttt!

USS Enterprise. Either of them. 

cv_uss_enterprise_cv06.jpg

enterprise.jpg

Or both. 

Oh that's right, I forget CVN-65 was a late 50s dealio.

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,048 posts
11,680 battles

Forrest Sherman-class destroyers

Armament:

j9LX6JM.jpg

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,054 posts
8,279 battles

Aaahhgugh!!!! I'm so hoping for Verniy to come already! I want her badly. :ohmy:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,902 battles

I wouldn't worry too much. Soviet technology was a while behind, hence 1938 Kirov at the same tier as 1918 Emerald/Omaha.

There's also a huge difference between Des Moines which was laid down in 1945, during WWII and Moskva which wasn't even a lusty twinkle until 1954. Still a 10+ year design difference.

Not impressed by the decision to include more RU DD as:

1) They have a complete DD line and premium already, give other nations a chance to get into the game - by the time these are released we'll have 3 nations with DD lines, and 2 of them will have side branches

2) RU DD have been one of the most egregious examples of OP design in the whole game, do we want more?

3) Limited to nil combat history, new ones will be nil, limited historic interest

4) 1950's designs just look out of place, Belfast's borderline ok as shes clearly an older style design

• Cool 2

Members
308 posts
8,893 battles

Forrest Sherman-class destroyers

Armament:

j9LX6JM.jpg

Yes, please. I've always thought the Forrest-Shermans and their derivatives were some of the best looking Cold War era DDs in the USN.

Pre-Coontz Farragut-class in their all-gun config would be amazing too.

Edited by Battleship_Orion

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I wouldn't worry too much. Soviet technology was a while behind, hence 1938 Kirov at the same tier as 1918 Emerald/Omaha.

There's also a huge difference between Des Moines which was laid down in 1945, during WWII and Moskva which wasn't even a lusty twinkle until 1954. Still a 10+ year design difference.

Not impressed by the decision to include more RU DD as:

1) They have a complete DD line and premium already, give other nations a chance to get into the game - by the time these are released we'll have 3 nations with DD lines, and 2 of them will have side branches

2) RU DD have been one of the most egregious examples of OP design in the whole game, do we want more?

3) Limited to nil combat history, new ones will be nil, limited historic interest

4) 1950's designs just look out of place, Belfast's borderline ok as shes clearly an older style design

Regarding the Kirov, the ship's technology has little to do with tiering. Kirov was just a lightly armored ship that would have suffered quite a lot at higher tiers. Tashkent was built at the same time and is a tier 8. 

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

The announced Russian DD's look like tier 5 or 6 vehicles at best.  They have few guns (4) and are generally pretty slow (sub 35 knots).  Not sure what "gimmick" they are going to have,

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

The announced Russian DD's look like tier 5 or 6 vehicles at best.  They have few guns (4) and are generally pretty slow (sub 35 knots).  Not sure what "gimmick" they are going to have,

Over/under on them having radar?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,902 battles

Regarding the Kirov, the ship's technology has little to do with tiering. Kirov was just a lightly armored ship that would have suffered quite a lot at higher tiers. Tashkent was built at the same time and is a tier 8.

That was a jibe from me, though I'd observe that Molotov is effectively a Kirov with working guns a tier higher, bad armor, bad ship - they had 20 years. Whatever the reason, Kirov is 20 years newer than, but according to WG no better than Omaha/Emerald. Kirov does at least get all of the nice advantages of turret mounted guns over the poor WWI era reprobates.

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
9,970 battles

Yes, please. I've always thought the Forrest-Shermans and their derivatives were some of the best looking Cold War era DDs in the USN.

Pre-Coontz Farragut-class in their all-gun config would be amazing too.

I think these would supply a somewhat unique experience.  What would be really cool is to include the USS Hull as premium in her 1975 configuration.  This would give us a destroyer with 1 8 in fast firing gun and 2 5 in guns (probably as secondaries) which would be a completely unique experience for this game (so far).

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,601 battles

Better torps would be my first guess.