You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hawkai

WOWS keep USN DD strong

31 comments in this topic

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,459 battles

lets face it, every new line that comes out is just a little bit better for the most part, the IJN and USN ships, the most powerful in the world at that time and the oldest in this game, are falling by the wayside to a whole lot of the ships, as a mostly DD player, yes I am biased, out of the whole USN tech tree, really the only shining stars are the high tier DD, benson, fletcher, gearing, I sure would hate to see the power creep that happens in this game make these DD into second class ships

-Members-
6,960 posts
10,623 battles

They are currently quite strong, and are a challenge to fight against. I see nothing wrong with them.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

I feel that Gearing's AA is incredibly obsolete, especially since it is not even an improvement (actually more of a downgrade) compared to Fletcher's AA. Other than that, I think their place as the king of close quarters and cap control is going to remain pretty strong.

[CNK]
Members
454 posts
6,836 battles

Yeah, I don't see it either. They're all competitive at their tiers. Benson is one of the best DDs in the game, tier for tier.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

I think the USN DD's have a very good niche. They have a high skill floor as well. 

They will always be unique due to the balance they bring to the table, they do not excel at any specific characteristic, but their strength is in the multi purpose ability and a tool for any situation. Something no other DD's bring ATM (Including German DD's)

A similar branch to the USN DD's will be RN DD's. They will be similar in many respects. 

Edited by Cobraclutch

Members
4,533 posts
18,504 battles

Fletcher will still Reign supreme in the T9's.     I haven't bought the Gearing, but have used it quite a bit on PT,  I don't see it as an upgrade to the Fletcher so not really wanting to spend the money on it.    with Akizuki now,  Benson has met it's match.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

...out of the whole USN tech tree, really the only shining stars are the high tier DD, benson, fletcher, gearing...

What? If the rest of the DD line is considered worse, I must have really low expectations lol.

[CRMSN]
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

I feel that Gearing's AA is incredibly obsolete, especially since it is not even an improvement (actually more of a downgrade) compared to Fletcher's AA. Other than that, I think their place as the king of close quarters and cap control is going to remain pretty strong.

I feel that if you spec into full AA as a gearing, you get a very nasty AA load out. 

But the cherry is the fact that no other DD can survive a full strike wing as well as the Gearing.  The panic factor of DF is very real, and it has saved my skin and others who have been caught in the open countless times. 

Its less about the sheer killing power and more to do with its ability to save your butt.  Compared to the other Destroyers, the Gearings AA is unmatched due to DF alone. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

I think the USN DD's have a very good niche. 

They will always be unique due to the balance they bring to the table, they do not excel at any specific characteristic, but their strength is in the multi purpose ability and a tool for any situation. Something no other DD's bring ATM (Including German DD's)

An excellent case of jack-of-all-trades being a USN trait working well.

[CNK]
Members
454 posts
6,836 battles

Fletcher will still Reign supreme in the T9's.     I haven't bought the Gearing, but have used it quite a bit on PT,  I don't see it as an upgrade to the Fletcher so not really wanting to spend the money on it.    with Akizuki now,  Benson has met it's match.

I've dueled a couple of them in my Benson, wasn't impressed.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

I feel that if you spec into full AA as a gearing, you get a very nasty AA load out. 

But the cherry is the fact that no other DD can survive a full strike wing as well as the Gearing.  The panic factor of DF is very real, and it has saved my skin and others who have been caught in the open countless times. 

Its less about the sheer killing power and more to do with its ability to save your butt.  Compared to the other Destroyers, the Gearings AA is unmatched due to DF alone. 

Except Fletcher also has access to DF too on top of a superior long range AA battery. Combine the two and you have a Gearing that does an okay job of shooting down planes and panics bombers and a Fletcher that can also panic bombers on top of having a better chance of shooting planes down. Speccing into AA doesn't really play into it because Fletcher can do the same thing with better results. Also, speccing fully into AA sacrifices Gearing's surface combat ability, which I am not very keen on when I play the ship close to objectives and chokepoints.

Gearing AA is inferior when it comes to preventing planes from scouting it because the DPS "boost" that it receives over Fletcher is shifted from the longer ranged AA to the 20mm Oerlikons. Yes it can survive better with 200 extra health, but Gearing is also a less maneuverable ship than Fletcher with a turning radius that is something like 50m wider (a huge deal).

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,459 battles

​I would add also, even though I use it as mostly a gun boat, with you concealment and torp accelerator you still have a nice blind fire window for your 71k torps

[PNP]
Beta Testers
886 posts
19,459 battles

What? If the rest of the DD line is considered worse, I must have really low expectations lol.

​there is no way in this game that a whole line will be the best ship at its tier, you get  good, bad, middle of the road ships in each line, there is nothing wrong with the rest of the USN DD line, I do pretty good in them, they just don't stick out as great ships like the high tier DD do

[CRMSN]
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

Except Fletcher also has access to DF too on top of a superior long range AA battery. Combine the two and you have a Gearing that does an okay job of shooting down planes and panics bombers and a Fletcher that can also panic bombers on top of having a better chance of shooting planes down. Speccing into AA doesn't really play into it because Fletcher can do the same thing with better results. Also, speccing fully into AA sacrifices Gearing's surface combat ability, which I am not very keen on when I play the ship close to objectives and chokepoints.

Gearing AA is inferior when it comes to preventing planes from scouting it because the DPS "boost" that it receives over Fletcher is shifted from the longer ranged AA to the 20mm Oerlikons. Yes it can survive better with 200 extra health, but Gearing is also a less maneuverable ship than Fletcher with a turning radius that is something like 50m wider (a huge deal).

Do you know why the Gearing does less DPS on her 5 inch guns even though she has 1 extra barrel?  (53 for fletcher 1x5 127mm / 45 for Gearing 3x2 127mm) 

I do not understand why her cannons do less DPS then the Fletchers.. Makes no sense. 

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

Do you know why the Gearing does less DPS on her 5 inch guns even though she has 1 extra barrel?  (53 for fletcher 1x5 127mm / 45 for Gearing 3x2 127mm) 

I do not understand why her cannons do less DPS then the Fletchers.. Makes no sense. 

Not sure either.

Members
60 posts
2,620 battles

lets face it, every new line that comes out is just a little bit better for the most part, the IJN and USN ships, the most powerful in the world at that time and the oldest in this game, are falling by the wayside to a whole lot of the ships, as a mostly DD player, yes I am biased, out of the whole USN tech tree, really the only shining stars are the high tier DD, benson, fletcher, gearing, I sure would hate to see the power creep that happens in this game make these DD into second class ships

I would disagree with this statement only for the US line considering both the Farragut and the Mahan are great DDs. We haven't seen what kind of role or power the German DDs have and the few games I've seen them in they usually die fairly quickly, whether that's due to player skill, bad luck, or under powered  

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Them 16 torp spread though jesus :red_button:.

which hits nothing because BB players whined torpedoes into being ineffective weapons.

The only time I ever hit anything with torpedoes anymore is an island ambush at under 4km, and only if they don't see me first.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles

I would disagree with this statement only for the US line considering both the Farragut and the Mahan are great DDs. We haven't seen what kind of role or power the German DDs have and the few games I've seen them in they usually die fairly quickly, whether that's due to player skill, bad luck, or under powered  

They're bigger, and broader in beam, means they're easier to hit.(The German DD's.)
Edited by TheKrimzonDemon

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

I personally see the Fletcher as the most intimidating ship in the game, there's just no ship I fear going up against more than a Fletcher when the player sailing it is a good one. I hope this remains that way for a long time, since I have my own Fletcher grind coming up and if the Benson is anything to go by, it'll be fun. That said, I wish the Mahan was made somewhat competitive, the ship is just laughably weak and even on a spectacular battle you feel average in it. My own Mahan grind was quite painful and when I run into an enemy Mahan I sort of feel their soul screaming.

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

The more USN ship's keeping up with there peers the better.  I dont care if fletcher is a pain in the [edited]to go against, seeing freedom ship's doing that is a sense of relief. 

[NG-NL]
Members
7,141 posts
12,577 battles

Balance hold-over from CBT?

It still does its AA job too well. Last one knocked down 11 of my TB before he dodged the same way the 3rd time only to find out I compensated. So no changes needed.

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

Just began my Benson grind, the only challenge so far is mostly seeing matches featuring several 9 and 10 tier ships.

I've tracked my matches and 80% have been a bottom tier scenario unfortunately. Might be the time I play at, and it's only over a limited number of matches.

So far though, Benson is as fun as you'd hope it would be.

Members
250 posts
12,071 battles

Fletcher will still Reign supreme in the T9's.

This, I have the gearing unlocked and have not felt the need to buy it.