You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gomez_Adams

Is there a T5 Captain Skill worth it for U.S. BB's?

21 comments in this topic

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

Just looking over the T5 captain skills and frankly I don't see one even worth bothering with for a U.S. Captain. I mean, the secondaries suck, so that's out. Concealment? Well, that's a sort of joke on the brick wall that is a U.S. BB. I mean, there's REALLY nothing there I see that would be worth it.

Opinions?

Beta Testers
1,221 posts
7,558 battles

Iowa + concealment expert. Thank me later. 

With CE + equipment and camo, you can get down to a surface detection of about 12km. Basically, you get a free wargaming cloaking device during your reloads.

Edited by Azemboz

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,265 battles

With CE + equipment and camo, you can get down to a surface detection of about 12km. Basically, you get a free wargaming cloaking device during your reloads.

North Carolina is even stealthier if I recall.

US BBs are the only battleships I'd use concealment expert on, assuming you're playing t8 and t9 that is. 

Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

This, though I've yet to test its efficacy in Randoms. Still learning the Missouri and not yet confident enough to take the plunge. That said, if you're not into concealment builds and like brawling and/or pushing from the front line, I'd recommend Jack of All Trades as it does help to better mitigate the damage you will inevitably receive from fires or torpedoes. With the relevant skills and flag (November Foxtrot), you can get the recharge on premium Damage Control Party down to 58 seconds.

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

This, though I've yet to test its efficacy in Randoms. Still learning the Missouri and not yet confident enough to take the plunge. That said, if you're not into concealment builds and like brawling and/or pushing from the front line, I'd recommend Jack of All Trades as it does help to better mitigate the damage you will inevitably receive from fires or torpedoes. With the relevant skills and flag (November Foxtrot), you can get the recharge on premium Damage Control Party down to 58 seconds.

I was wondering about that. But then I wonder if the 15% reduction is more useful than, say, having the secondary T1 skill (which boost your AA) and the manual AA control at T4?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,717 posts
26,569 battles

Concealment for me too. It's not going to help you when you're firing, but if you've overextended, ran into too much opposition or just need to make a get-away to lick your wounds and recover, being able to go dark quicker really helps.

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

i'm casting another vote for concealment

on top of being useful for getaways and re-positioning, it's also great fun to sit at the edge of your detection and pop in and out like a hyperactive Romulan.

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

i'm casting another vote for concealment

on top of being useful for getaways and re-positioning, it's also great fun to sit at the edge of your detection and pop in and out like a hyperactive Romulan.

LOL!

Members
629 posts
2,397 battles

Concealment expert rules all. Manual Fire Control also works for NC/Iowa if you like to  brawl

Edited by AnderZENZ_IowaClass

[AFW-]
[AFW-]
Members
297 posts
16,773 battles

Of course!  Because Iowa,  Missouri and No. Carolina are tier V ships.

this is a discussion about the t5 Captain skill....

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

You can play some serious mindgames with high-tier US battleships on a concealment build.  Cuz if you're close enough to pop up in their view, you're close enough to be a real threat to them, but you can keep blinking in and out to draw attention on your own terms.

[RLGN]
Members
19,139 posts
35,179 battles

Concealment for me too. It's not going to help you when you're firing, but if you've overextended, ran into too much opposition or just need to make a get-away to lick your wounds and recover, being able to go dark quicker really helps.

This...

I know you do a lot of Co-op Gomez, and it can be a blast to disappear and stop the magically accurate bots from shooting at you. They still magically follow you, but it provides the chance to turn and angle better at a range where when you finally shoot again, the guns can still hurt the target.

The 16 point captain I'm using on Missouri, is also my New Mexico captain, and I like CE on that as well, though i don't have the module. The reason I didn't take manual secondaries, even though NM has a decent enough set, is I prefer the warning to look up that comes from the secondaries starting to shoot automatically.

My Warspite captain also has CE, which is fun when he gets in Belfast, (detect less than 9k,) ARP Kongo has it, my Konigsburg/Scharnhorst captain has it, and probably my regular IJN BB driver will have it when he reaches 15 pts.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,490 battles

Don't go for concealment. Concealment on a BB is as useful as manual secondaries on a Midway.

I went for full AA build instead: 

BFT+BoS

EM

Vi

AFT+MFAAA

=15 points

Sure, CVs aren't too common but at least you can melt down their aircraft. And when WG reworks CVs next year and they become more popular, you will be ready. What everyone else says about CE can be simply fixed by being a better player. If you have good map awareness, you won't find yourself in an overextended position, which is where they advocate for CE.