Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tankkiller123453

NC vs SD

12 comments in this topic

Members
83 posts
2,554 battles

Since there are test about USS Alabama and the upcoming South Dakota class BB (I called it SD for short just like NC for North Carolina) which one is better ?

North Carolina or South Dakota ???

They are both treaty battleships (except North Carolina class broke the rule a little)

Out of the Americans best BB (Iowa, North Carolina, South Dakota) South Dakota has the thickest armor of all ( except some source say that it is either slightly thinner or slightly thicker than the Iowa)  

Unlike the North Carolina, they are even shorter and taller, which results poor rudder shift and higher concealment. (there turning radius is smaller but the rudder shift is slower)

Slightly less AA, since they are cram pt (I been to the USS Alabama museum and North Carolina museum) (it is a very small ship and once I literally got my foot stuck. XD

Lower health pool than the NC, SD are smaller (but the thickest armor out of all)

same gun caliber and fire same AP shells.

It will be tier 8

Soooooo.... which do you think it is better. SD class or NC class ??? your opinion pls.

Edited by tankkiller123453

Beta Testers
302 posts
2,583 battles

Its important to note despite the differences in size both classes displaced nearly the same tonnage. WGs formula for hitpoints primarily incorporates tonnage, so the hitpoints should be similar if not the same. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,740 battles

depends if the SD tank better than the NC. if it can, then that's the better ship in my opinion. manuverability is also a key factor for BBs.:read_fish:

Also, you do relise that they don't always mount the full weapons on museum ships right? its mostly due to Laws and also to prevent thieves from making off with military grade equipment.:sceptic: 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,096 posts
30,874 battles

South Dakota-class were short ships.  I expect that thing to be able to turn very well.

Some BB lengths:

Colorado-class 190m

North Carolina-class 222m

SoDak-class 210m

Iowa-class 270m

Nagato-class 215m

Yamato-class 263m

Scharnhorst-class 235m

Bismarck-class 251m

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
341 posts
4,798 battles

depends if the SD tank better than the NC. if it can, then that's the better ship in my opinion. manuverability is also a key factor for BBs.:read_fish:

Also, you do relise that they don't always mount the full weapons on museum ships right? its mostly due to Laws and also to prevent thieves from making off with military grade equipment.:sceptic: 

The SoDak's as modeled in the game are inferior at tanking compared to the NC. On the NC the entire citadel hit box is located below the water line. At long range the ships can still be citadeled but at close range (under 10km) where shell arcs are much flatter it rarely happens since actually hitting the citadel hit box is almost impossible.

The SoDak's (and the Iowa's) as modeled in the game are quite different. For both of those classes a large portion of the citadel hit box is located above the water line, and thus fairly easy to hit during close range engagements if an Iowa, Missouri, or Alabama exposes it's broadside to enemy fire.

There are images of the citadel hitboxes for the  NC, Iowa, and Bama in the spoiler box.

fNeqMh4.png

PQsWqz0.png

5wuWdcF.png

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

South Dakota-class were short ships.  I expect that thing to be able to turn very well.

Some BB lengths:

Colorado-class 190m

North Carolina-class 222m

SoDak-class 210m

Iowa-class 270m

Nagato-class 215m

Yamato-class 263m

Scharnhorst-class 235m

Bismarck-class 251m

Turning circle is a function of length vs. width ratio though.

SD is short and stumpy, which makes it turn quite tightly.

Yamato is also quite stumpy, but the turning circle is nerfed in WoWs.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I've seen people saying that the Alabama will have a 51% TDS. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,096 posts
30,874 battles

I've seen people saying that the Alabama will have a 51% TDS. 

I've heard that too, top that off with what should be a good turning radius, she's a pretty decent torpedo beat BB candidate.  NC doesn't have the TDS.  Iowa doesn't have the TDS, has a huge turning radius, and an immensely long hull meant to catch every torpedo.

Members
323 posts
5,699 battles

The South Dakota class will look similar to the North Caroina class in every way just a little bit shorter but not a noticeable amount. The South Daktoa was a knot slower than the North Carolina and slightly more armor in some places. Displacement was close, the North Carolina was slightly heavier. The SD was supposed to have superior underwater protection.

My (not educated) guess on it's translation in game:
South Dakota will be slightly better protected and have slightly less health. Not sufficient to notice a difference.
Main armament will be the same guns
Secondary armament reduced to 8x2 127mm guns to save weight (a second deck of a conning tower to make it a command ship of the SD).
If you AA spec I'm guessing both will be able to get to 100.

Members
3,003 posts
1,451 battles

Itd be great if WG removed the whole "above waterline citadel" thing with those ships......

Ships already die easy enough as it is without the citadel being easy as pie to hit.

[LCS]
Beta Testers
15 posts
3,665 battles

SoDak will definitely be the brawler, It will probably work out so that NC is the fast and "nimble" battleship while SoDak is the fat, slow turd with heavy HP. I guarantee the guns will be the same.

Members
1,677 posts
3,060 battles

Well the SD I'd probably to better class since it had the Iowa's layout over the NC's. It's pretty much the same in most other respects, being shorter it would have a smaller citadel which is good. It would also probably turn a little faster. If they decide to model the citadel below the waterline (Like how the NC, SD, and Iowa classes citadels were actually modeled) then it would be much the same if not better than the NC class. But, war gaming will probably model the citadel wrong again and leave the SD inferior armor wise to NC.

Sign in to follow this