You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Neph

What BB had the most illustrious career?

120 comments in this topic

Members
266 posts
2,744 battles

There's lots of famous battleships. Many for their traits (Yamato, Iowa) more than their actions. Some for specific single actions/events (Arizona, Bismarck for example) but otherwise not particularly glorious careers. 

But what Battleship (or Battlecruiser) had the overall best service record and overall career? 

Members
1,343 posts
3,378 battles

Warspite hands down.

I'm almost certain she participated and survived the most battleship on battleship engagements of any battleship in history.

New Jersey also deserves a mention, seeing how she earned 19 service stars over her career, only being beaten by Enterprise.

[VIRUS]
Alpha Tester
147 posts
1,853 battles

If length of service counts for anything Iowa class as a whole. Since each one had career highlights, but if I had to pick one it would probably be either New Jersey or Missouri. New Jersey just for how much she did earning 19 battle stars in three wars. Missouri for the obvious, surrender of the Japanese Empire, her Hollywood career, and her and Wisconsin's action at Faylaka Island during the Gulf War getting the Iraqi defenders to surrender to a UAV and showing that even in the modern age of war battleship guns are still one of the most intimidating and destructive weapons we've developed

Edited by premiermiller

[JASH]
Members
189 posts
5,913 battles

I'd have to agree with everyone, HMS Warspite.  She also deserves mention as to have served in both World War I & II.

[CNK]
Members
454 posts
6,836 battles

If length of service counts for anything Iowa class as a whole. Since each one had career highlights, but if I had to pick one it would probably be either New Jersey or Missouri. New Jersey just for how much she did earning 19 battle stars in three wars. Missouri for the obvious, surrender of the Japanese Empire, her Hollywood career, and her and Wisconsin's action at Faylaka Island during the Gulf War getting the Iraqi defenders to surrender to a UAV and showing that even in the modern age of war battleship guns are still one of the most intimidating and destructive weapons we've developed

Yeah, also keep in mind NJ's history was helped by the fact that she participated in several actions her sisters didn't. She was the only Iowa to participate in Vietnam and Lebanon and she was the first one reactivated in the 1980s.

[HELLS]
Members
2,970 posts
39,971 battles

HMS Warspite is the only possible answer to this question. From Jutland to D Day to the Walcheren assault landing, with all kinds of battles in the Med.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,334 posts
23,704 battles
New Jersey but only because of how long it's career was.

[-KWH-]
Members
208 posts
8,333 battles

I would vote for Warspite as well, and I would give Missouri a close runner-up.

Members
629 posts
2,397 battles

Definitely the Warspite, but maybe Missouri or New Jersey runner-ups.

Edited by AnderZENZ_IowaClass

[FAE]
Members
2,626 posts
3,982 battles

What did Warspite do?

Also, why is Warspite considered a high level player's choice of ship over Arizona?

Edited by BlailBlerg

[RLGN]
Members
19,167 posts
35,208 battles

What did Warspite do?

Also, why is Warspite considered a high level player's choice of ship over Arizona?

I would give an Honorable Mention to USS Washington for 14-15 November, 1942, and it's 'Man-Moment-Machine' encounter with destiny.

Sedlitz; though it was a battlecruiser, from WW I, because in WoWs terms it likely earned just about every Achievement such a ship could get; (Dreadnought, and the survive flooding and survive fire awards,) at Jutland.

There are certainly other worthy 'honorable mentions.'

In the end though it would have to be Warspite.

Members
187 posts
20,285 battles

What did Warspite do?

You joke right? Warspite exported stronk to russia

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

The Grand Old Lady, probably followed up by either New Jersey or Missouri because they both served for nearly 60 years.

Beta Testers
11,670 posts

Derfflinger, most bad [edited]ship in the greatest and most intense battleship battle in history.  Critical in the sinking of two British battlecruisers.  Firing hundreds of rounds, she also took a lot of hits, lost turrets but kept on fighting.  For that she earned her name, the Iron Dog of Jutland.  Never defeated in battle, she was scuttled with the rest of the German fleet at Scapa Flow.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,907 battles

Never defeated in battle, she was scuttled with the rest of the German fleet at Scapa Flow.

Considers it, thinks about it, should I go there? Well why not: Jutland was a British victory.

For the topic, Warspite. Jutland 1916 through the interwar, Narvik, the Mediterranean, 2nd longest range naval gunnery hit in history, shore bombardments aplenty, survives heavy gun hits, mines and a Fritz X glide bomb and keeps putting out the hits.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Scharnhorst (together with Gneisenau) sank more ships than any other battleship in history and scored the longest naval artillery hit in history, that's got to count for something.

Edited by dseehafer

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Considers it, thinks about it, should I go there? Well why not: Jutland was a British victory.

A strategic victory, yes, (Great Britain maintained dominance and control of the Atlantic) but a tactical defeat (lost more men, ships and money).

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

A strategic victory, yes, (Great Britain maintained dominance and control of the Atlantic) but a tactical defeat (lost more men, ships and money).

Would say in this case that the Strategic victory counted for more, as it prevented the Germans from forever coming out of port, which, while costing more in ships and lives, saved more in future battles.