You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chain_shot

Ethics question re: AFK ships

60 comments in this topic

[UBC]
Members
2,280 posts

Ok so theoretically....

If you have an AFK ship on your team is it OK to ...

...to draw the enemy fleet to it and let them sink it?

or

... tell the red team where it is?

Thoughts?

[N-F-H]
Beta Testers
97 posts

Not really?  Ships are still points and I have won and lost games even with afks on team.  If they are afk, the enemy will find them.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

>> draw the enemy fleet to it and let them sink it?

Technically yes, although if there's a chance of that player returning then you're doing your team a disservice.

>> tell the red team where it is?

That would be a violation of terms of service per game rules and subject to disciplinary action.

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

Stupid question.

Frankly, I'd rather have an AFK on my team, which may or may not have been intentional, than a teammate with a characteristically toxic attitude like yours to begin with. 

• Cool 3

[UBC]
Members
2,280 posts

Stupid question.

Frankly, I'd rather have an AFK on my team, which may or may not have been intentional, than a teammate with a characteristically toxic attitude like yours to begin with. 

Wow .. who peed in your Wheaties today to get you so salty?

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

I've always thought if the battle is already lost and they're the only remaining player, there's no harm in it.  Although, it's pretty rare for it to even be helpful in this game.  More so in Tanks.

[MCWF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
29,105 battles

Let the enemy find him by themselfs. There are two caes were a AFK won the battle since the other team didn't find him and the team won by points. One even got a solo warrior.

• Cool 1

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

Wow .. who peed in your Wheaties today to get you so salty?

Whooosh...  The sound of an irony boomerang flying back over the head of someone who lacks self-awareness 

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Not really, they are still points that can help the enemy win if they are sunk. Though, if you are running by them and they happen to take hits that would have gone for you anyway, that seems legit. I have seen some games won because the enemy couldnt find the AFK and lost because of points.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

Whooosh...  The sound of an irony boomerang flying back over the head of someone who lacks self-awareness 

Uh... what??  Where's the irony?  How was he being salty in his post?

[UBC]
Members
2,280 posts

LOL did you catch it when it came back to you?

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

Sometimes, my game decides it doesn't want to load at all. I wait at the loading screen for a few minutes, then by the time I realize it's not loading, I restart. At which point, the restart itself takes a hefty amount of time, and I come into the match maybe a full five minutes late. Almost every time this has happened (a grand total of three times), my ship is on fire or has torps heading toward it, and my team is floating near the back and using me as a bullet magnet. :( 

Moral of the story? Sometimes, AFK's aren't AFK's.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,812 posts
26,841 battles

Why would you want to take away time from shooting at the red ships to do any of those? Even if you're already sunk, just let the AFK ship rot in silence and don't bother with him. He's not worth your effort.

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

And you are assuming that the player is AFK by choice.  I play on a Mac and on the weekends (when I can play for several hours in a stretch) it is quite common for the game to crash mid-battle.  While it appears that I am AFK, I'm in the process of re-starting the game and loadinb back into the battle.  It is not uncommon for this process to take 4-5 minutes, so if this happens in the second half of the battle and you were to give my position away not only are you being an @$$hat of a teammate but you could be costing yourself a win.

• Cool 1

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

The OP is highly presumptuous, and reeks of the OP being superior to the AFK player even when he has no idea why the player is AFK. 
  • Cool 2

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

If you don't instantly recognize someone who is openly considering harming their own team and violating the rules of the game as a person with a salty tude then I can't help you. 
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

The OP is highly presumptuous, and reeks of the OP being superior to the AFK player even when he has no idea why the player is AFK. 

That depends on how you read it, I suppose.  I took it to mean at the end of a game.  Either way though, it's not being salty.

[JUGGZ]
Members
256 posts
2,930 battles

If the enemy is up on points and has a cap advantage and the afk is somehow the only player left and there's a decent amount of time on the clock, then I'll tell them if I'm trying to get my ship back faster for the next battle.  I don't have any real annoyance at afk's unless I can tell they've loaded but aren't paying attention that the game has started, I know a lot of people have been dealing with the crashes lately so it's not all their fault.  Sometimes the enemy has enough potatoes to even it out and you win anyway, so no big deal and no reason to do that.

Edited by Deviathan

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

LOL did you catch it when it came back to you?

I had no expectation that you would get it because as I said, you show a lack of self-awareness. I wouldn't wish you on anyone's team. 

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

That depends on how you read it, I suppose.  I took it to mean at the end of a game.  Either way though, it's not being salty.

You probably don't even recognize how stupid it is either.

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles

Never help the enemy.  It could be the difference between a win and a loss.  Maybe their client crashed or are late to load.  It happens.  They could always wake up and help turn the tide of battle to our favor.  

I'm not a fan of those that drop out of a match intentionally since they are screwing their team, but I don't have a solution for that.  The above, plus the previously mentioned fact that it is against the ToS should be reason enough not to give anything away.

just my 2¢

b

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

You probably don't even recognize how stupid it is either.

It's only stupid if it harms your team.  So, again, it depends on how you read the OP.  You're the most toxic person in this thread too, by the way.

[KSC]
-Members-
5,295 posts
9,591 battles

I would rather have an alive AFK ship on my team, than a dead AFK ship.  While rare, I have had several battles where we only won because of an afk.  In one instance he was the last ship alive but we won on points.  I've also had battles where the enemy was foolish enough to try and shoot at our AFK rather than a low health ship that was actively participating in the battle.  Not to mention losing your AFK loses you points.   

Edited by yashma

[-WD-]
Members
307 posts
16,919 battles

I dont have the best computer so out of 50 games WoWs will probable freeze 5 times. I have to close out of the client, and log back in. I get put back into the game sometimes dead and sometimes alive. People  have reported me because i'm "afk" when really I cant help it. 

Moral of the story: you dont know why someone is MIA. They could be loading back in.