Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rub_My_Cit_BB

Tier VIII Premium USN DD?

13 comments in this topic

[-WD-]
Members
307 posts
16,919 battles

Good afternoon sailors!

I know this is a ship that has been talked about, but I'm going to have to bring the conversation back to life. As a fairly new player I've really gotten into the game. I originally was a big WoT fan, but after dicovoring WoWs 5 months ago I haven't been able to put it down. Today, I'd like to bring to your attention to the Allen M. Sumner Class Destroyer. Succeeded by the Gearing class, I personally think the USS Allen M. Sumner would make a good Tier VIII ship. With 6 x 5" guns, 12 x 40mm Bofors AA guns, 11 x 20mm Oerlikon cannons, and 10 x 21" torpedo Tubes, This class would be a great balanced ship. (On a side blurb, It would be cool if it could have radar since the USS Sumners was primarily used as a radar picket). Another reason I'd love to see this ship in the game is because my grandfather served on the USS Zellars

(DD-777). With that being said, all of the  Allen M. Sumner class destroyers have history, and I'm actually quite surprised we haven't seen this class in the game already! If you agree or disagree please let me know. Also, If you have any further input or suggestions I'm interested in hearing!

Thank you for the read and I'll see you on the battlefield!

0569256_zps2x6ev8va.jpg

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Tier 8 seems to low to me. I picture her similar to the Gearing which already is T10. So T9 at least if you ask me. T10 when you were serious on that radar part. And that should come at the cost of the smoke screen.

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

Yeah the Sumner Class would be cool, T8 however I don't think so. The Sumner was an upgrade to the Fletcher on par with the Gearing at T8 she would not fit

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Seems closer to a T9 to me. Personally really want them to finally release the USS Black. I am already starting to save my FXP again after unlocking the Missouri (I kinda think that if/when they release the Black it will be like with the Missouri)

[-WD-]
Members
307 posts
16,919 battles

T8 just seems most reasonable to me. Just because the Missouri is a T9 I dont think WG is just going to start popping out T9 (or T10) premium ships. As it does make sense as a T9 since it replaced the Fletcher, I just cant see another T9 premium in the game.

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles

Fletcher is T9 and Gearing is T10. How do you expect a ship intermediate between Fletcher & Gearing to be anything less than T9?

Well I suppose if you use a Sumner in late-war configuration with only 1x5 torps (and no torp reload boost like Akizuki) that could maybe be T8 material, since in WOWS the extra AA is less useful to a DD than extra torps.

[AXANR]
Members
3,650 posts
23,502 battles

Let's just move Fletcher to T8 (without nerfs) and make this the t9. Legit. :trollface:

[-WD-]
Members
307 posts
16,919 battles

Fletcher is T9 and Gearing is T10. How do you expect a ship intermediate between Fletcher & Gearing to be anything less than T9?

Well I suppose if you use a Sumner in late-war configuration with only 1x5 torps (and no torp reload boost like Akizuki) that could maybe be T8 material, since in WOWS the extra AA is less useful to a DD than extra torps.

T9 b/c of reduced speed and lack of smoke for radar.

Seems closer to a T9 to me. Personally really want them to finally release the USS Black. I am already starting to save my FXP again after unlocking the Missouri (I kinda think that if/when they release the Black it will be like with the Missouri)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I made a new thread with a new proposal here: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/109730-new-usn-dd-tech-line-proposal-ix-x-only/page__p__2676608#entry2676608

BLUF: Allen M Sumners class as a Tier IX, and Mitscher class as a Tier X

[VIRUS]
Alpha Tester
147 posts
1,853 battles

I'm pretty sure way back in Alpha days they mentioned a Fletcher with a Float Plane being a tier 8 premium possibility. It would lose number 3 turret and rear torpedo launcher for the catapult.

Sign in to follow this