You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Anyone else finding BBs boring to play at high tiers?

24 comments in this topic

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

I am a big fan of battleships, so I really tried liking to play them...  In fact my very first premium was Tirpitz.  But when it comes down to it, lack of mobility and (most importantly) maneuverability makes them into floating targets.  Once you commit to some part of the map, it may be difficult to impossible to change your position without significant cost to your ship and, in turn, to your team.  Once you commit to a push, even more so.  It just feels to me that other classes have more flexibility on the field, because they have freedom to change their position and dictate the pace of combat.  This is why I lean toward playing DDs and CA/CLs when it comes to tiers 9/10.  This is also why I don't find Missouri appealing.

[SCCC]
Members
2,845 posts
11,099 battles

Nope i enjoy because the way i play is aggressive and  passive 

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

Maybe you can play tier X battleship aggressively mid to late game, but playing it aggressively in the start with 5 DDs on enemy team....   :facepalm:

Yeah, I saw that before on many occasions...  

• Cool 3

[RLGN]
Members
19,133 posts
35,155 battles

Carriers, battleships, cruisers or destroyers.

Don't enjoy high-tier gameplay in any form. Pretty much why all my tier-8s and up are port decorations.

• Cool 2

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

I find end tiers very enjoyable in fast, maneuverable boats.  One of the reasons I enjoy it, is that I get away with killing big pretty ships like Yamato and Montana on regular basis, and there's little they can do about it.  Unless they stay all the way in the back that is, which is fine too. 

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

I find high tiers to be fun, a lot less torp spam and you generally have smarter players to play with

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,119 posts
24,122 battles

I enjoy my high tier BBs very much, especially my Montana recently. You have to be cautious early game when all the DDs are running about and cruisers are healthy to spam HE at you, but opportunities to play aggressively always begin to pop up mid-late game.

Members
1,369 posts
3,667 battles

Every time i end up in a tier 10 game, i am reminded why i havent bothered grinding past tier 8 and the majority of my ships are tier 7 or lower. 

Two days ago was a great example, i was playing my North Carolina, leading the push towards C on islands, i slowed to snipe some cruisers that had gotten to the cap and by the time i got my third salvo off, the two battleships that had been with me were making a b-line to J10.  Thats where they spent the rest of the game, J10....   needless to say, we lost.

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

Problem with high tiers like VIII-IX-X,  you get 5 BB's and 5DD's and maybe 2 cruisers or a cruiser and a CV.

It's not a problem, its a blessing.  If you are playing the right kind of ship that is... :hiding:

Members
522 posts

Every time i end up in a tier 10 game, i am reminded why i havent bothered grinding past tier 8 and the majority of my ships are tier 7 or lower. 

Two days ago was a great example, i was playing my North Carolina, leading the push towards C on islands, i slowed to snipe some cruisers that had gotten to the cap and by the time i got my third salvo off, the two battleships that had been with me were making a b-line to J10.  Thats where they spent the rest of the game, J10....   needless to say, we lost.

Yeah, I had a game a few days ago where 2 Iowas and 2 North Carolinas hid behind the same island the whole game. I try not to be too critical of how BBs play because they do have a very long range, but these guys could not see to fire and did nothing all game. 

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

I enjoy my high tier BBs very much, especially my Montana recently. You have to be cautious early game when all the DDs are running about and cruisers are healthy to spam HE at you, but opportunities to play aggressively always begin to pop up mid-late game.

This is exactly what I don't like.  I want to have game that is adrenaline rush from start to finish.  Not game where I have to "wait it out".  Cautious early game is BORING, and leads to either exciting end game or completely ruined one.  

[MAUS]
Members
13,686 posts

I generally dislike the high tier meta.  It punishes players that try and progress the fight.  There aren't enough tools to force a close in engagement. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

I generally dislike the high tier meta.  It punishes players that try and progress the fight.  There aren't enough tools to force a close in engagement. 

Yet there are tools to discourage it :trollface:
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

I'd much rather play cruisers at high tier than BBs. High tier BB play in this game has all of the excitement of watching paint dry.

[CRAYN]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,674 battles

I hate the passive play a T10, but I just ignore and force aggression.

Just yesterday I charged forward against a GK and 2 Bismarck's in my Baltimore to attack a Dimitri Donskoi and a Baltimore.

I had been sitting behind and island waiting for all the other battleships on my team to figure out how to move forward, so I decided I would do it myself.

It worked out, and I survived the whole thing.

Members
3,114 posts
13,609 battles

I'd much rather play cruisers at high tier than BBs. High tier BB play in this game has all of the excitement of watching paint dry.

Yes, but some cruisers are also very campy.  Like Moskva.  They generally stay at maximum range and cower around.  Can't blame them with the size and all, but the style is something that does not appeal to me...

Edited by Veksha

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,486 posts
29,145 battles

I am amazed at how often it seems one sided.  Played my Amagi a lot yesterday and we had two games that ended prematurely due to the other team diving under 0 points.  I really hate that.  On one of those games I was top of the board on our team and I scraped out with 8K credit return.  Not enough time to do enough damage to earn anything :(

Members
553 posts
8,586 battles

I used to absolutely hate high tier matches, and I've thought about selling my tier8+ ships (including Tirpitz) because of how boring it was. I was, and still am, a hyper-agressive brawler in practically every ship I play. But I've grown to love high tier games because it teaches you a very important lesson: positioning. In the lower and mid tiers, positioning doesn't matter, as the maps are small and there are generous amounts of cover, and firing ranges are very limited. This all changes in tier 8+ and teaches a lesson on positioning harshly, usually involving in a quick return to port. However, this lesson teaches the most and will be applied in every match you play thereafter. It's a rigorous course to take, I know, but I can assure you that you'll become a better player if you do.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

I love playing BBs at tier 8 as both North Carolina and Bismarck are fantastic and fairly agile ships. My only experience with a higher tier BB is the Iowa and I couldn't even tough out the grind to Montana due to her paper armor. I've only heard bad comments when describing the other tier 9 BBs. But I have indeed noticed that tier 9 and 10 BBs still play way too passively for my taste, perhaps due to it's former repair costs. Those costs are now much more manageable and encourage more aggressive play, but many players still cling to their old ways. That and the fact that there is a monster called Yamato with stupidly precise guns that can citadel every ship in the game through the bow. I know I myself am much more cautious when there's a Yamato on the enemy team until he or she is spotted and I can figure out where to be where I won't be a target unless I have a ton of support.

Members
557 posts

I've seen at least one person indicate that they are thinking about selling their Tripitz. To that person, please slap yourself.

Now that we have that out of the way, tier VIII play is actually good. You will frequently be top tier, and even being in tier IX match, you are still a force to reckoned with. Just need to know how to play the ship. Bow on tanking and keep firing. Pretty simple really.

Above tier VIII, I do not own any ships at tiers IX or X so I cannot say, but watching streamers playing those tiers, matches can tend to be a bit campy, but many game seem to be more active. It really seems that it is the economy of tiers IX and X that produce slow, boring matches. You don't make money unless you are a really good player, so you are over cautious?

[RLGN]
Members
19,133 posts
35,155 battles
On 12/7/2016 at 11:54 AM, Zapp_Branigan said:

You will frequently be top tier, and even being in tier IX match, you are still a force to reckoned with.

In my Kaga; (yeah, I know; it's a Tier 7,) the five Randoms I played it in were THREE  tier 9s, 1 tier 8, and 1 tier 6... That hardly qualifies as frequently...

Don't plan on ever using Enterprise in Randoms because it will invariably be mostly T10 games...

Hardly my definition of fun.

For more normal ships; I recently used Micky K for part of the yamamoto Campaign... Most of the games were tier 10, the majority of the rest tier 9s, and the games where I was top tier were too few to mention.

I'm not specifically complaining about MM; but I've been screwed by up-tiering too many times to ever consider high tier games 'enjoyable.'