Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BRailfanH

Now that the IJN line has split...

16 comments in this topic

Members
117 posts
7,738 battles

...I'm tempted by the Akizuki, but do I also want to keep the T6 Fubuki that I got along with the Kagero that replaced my old Fubuki?  

Additionally:

-Is it a good idea to run 3 IJN DDs, just so I can use 1 to make credits more easily than the high-tier ships?

-And is DE really necessary once I get my mitts on an Akizuki?

-Is grinding to Aki worth it?

It's a lot to ask, I know, but I want to make the most of the IJN DD line split.

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,124 posts
9,058 battles

Grinding Aki is worth it solely because you grind it on the Shiratsuyu.

Members
726 posts
1,805 battles

g9JGBB1.jpg
Edited by StarfuryMS
  • Cool 1

Members
726 posts
1,805 battles

Poi? 

I can't tell if you're asking for clarification or not. Your profile pic seems to indicate some passing familiarity with Anime in general, but......

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

As an alternative... I sold off my Fubuki and Kagero... got oh, nearly 12M in coins. You can do a lot with 12M if you have other lines researched.  Just a thought

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

...I'm tempted by the Akizuki, but do I also want to keep the T6 Fubuki that I got along with the Kagero that replaced my old Fubuki?  

Additionally:

-Is it a good idea to run 3 IJN DDs, just so I can use 1 to make credits more easily than the high-tier ships?

It's a lot to ask, I know, but I want to make the most of the IJN DD line split.

1. I'd use an actual premium ship for that if you have one. Or a higher tier vessel (9/10) with the premium camo that gives you crazy credit earnings. 

2. NO. HE is AWFUL on Akizuki, AP is 100% your main source of damage. Get AFT and concealment expert. Seriously, the HE struggles to do damage against destroyers of equal and greater tiers. It is that bad. Using it for fires is a waste of time as you could be using AP and doing actual damage. If the enemy starts to angle and your AP starts to bounce, only then should you ever consider HE.

3. Personally I love her. 22 battles thus far with an 80% winrate and ~60k average damage. She feels very consistent as her guns do most of the damage, and very versatile as she can be built for stealth firing (recommended), or anti-air. Her torpedoes are quite good (67kt, 20k damage) - but she only gets four without the reload booster. My biased opinion: she is worth it.

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,424 battles

Additionally:

1) Run as many as you want I have all of them except Akizuki (currently grinding for it)

2) HE apparently isnt that effective so AFT or SE might be the better choice

3) Yes

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

1. I'd use an actual premium ship for that if you have one. Or a higher tier vessel (9/10) with the premium camo that gives you crazy credit earnings. 

2. NO. HE is AWFUL on Akizuki, AP is 100% your main source of damage. Get AFT and concealment expert. Seriously, the HE struggles to do damage against destroyers of equal and greater tiers. It is that bad. Using it for fires is a waste of time as you could be using AP and doing actual damage. If the enemy starts to angle and your AP starts to bounce, only then should you ever consider HE.

3. Personally I love her. 22 battles thus far with an 80% winrate and ~60k average damage. She feels very consistent as her guns do most of the damage, and very versatile as she can be built for stealth firing (recommended), or anti-air. Her torpedoes are quite good (67kt, 20k damage) - but she only gets four without the reload booster. My biased opinion: she is worth it.

I think you have to mix it up.

Start a fire or two.

When they use DCP, switch to AP if they are giving broadside, switch targets or continue to rain HE on them.

When their DCP effect goes away, shoot HE to start more fires.

If they then show broadside, switch to AP and have both fire and AP melt away their HP.

At least, that's how I got a couple of 165k dmg games in it.

[SWFSH]
[SWFSH]
Volunteer Moderator
2,629 posts
7,415 battles

I think you have to mix it up.

Start a fire or two.

When they use DCP, switch to AP if they are giving broadside, switch targets or continue to rain HE on them.

When their DCP effect goes away, shoot HE to start more fires.

If they then show broadside, switch to AP and have both fire and AP melt away their HP.

At least, that's how I got a couple of 165k dmg games in it.

Didn't pick up DE on mine, so with a base 6% fire chance (using both fire flags), most of the time it feels like a waste when I could be doing 1.1-2.8k salvos using AP. Unless they're angling, in which case AP would do minimal (if any) damage anyways.

I will go back for DE, but I think the captain skill rework will come before I get a 19 point captain! :aqua:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,557 posts
15,233 battles

That's what I am doing right now.

I thought Shiratsuyu should work well. But after 25 matches, I am not sure. The win rate is OK but it just doesn't feel like I am contributing. Somehow the torpedoes are really ineffective even with TA and the magic reload booster.

I guess I just suck... :(

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,119 posts
24,125 battles

Additionally:

Think of the T6 Fubuki as being similar to the old Hatsuharu, except it's a tier lower with one more triple torpedo launcher. If you liked the Hatsu or thought all it needed was some more torpedoes, you'll probably like the new Fubuki.

If you don't have a premium and want a ship for credit earning, Shiratsuyu would probably be the one to keep, but use something like an Atago if you can.

Yes, grinding to Akizuki is definitely worth it. She's amazing fun and one of the best ships at T8, in my opinion.

For captain builds, you can either run an AFT + CE build (like Teruzuki does), or a DE + AFT + SE/MFCAA triple T4 build. My personal recommendation is for the triple T4 build (It's what I run, with MFCAA for my 3rd perk), as it turns Akizuki into possibly the best fire starter in her tier and gives you a lot of versatility. On the other hand, it makes it a little bit harder to fight enemy DDs since you will generally get spotted first, so if possible I'd say try out both and see which fits your playstyle better. 

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,124 posts
9,058 battles

I thought Shiratsuyu should work well. But after 25 matches, I am not sure. The win rate is OK but it just doesn't feel like I am contributing. Somehow the torpedoes are really ineffective even with TA and the magic reload booster.

I'm finding damage isn't that consistent either. The rework doesn't seem to make IJN any easier to play, just fit in better. I tend to win more when damage is low but when I end up carrying, it's a toss up since most of my damage still comes late game via torpedoes. I think my problem is that her captain doesn't have CE yet. Between all the radar, hydro, and secondaries that go 10km+ in T9 matches it's hard to find an opportunity to fire without getting detected. The firing arc starts getting funny past 11km and when your gunfire concealment is 10.3km it's tough to be the first to start fires without getting caught. CE brings it down to 9.6km which is comparable to Shimakaze. Makes a difference since you can ride that 10km sweet spot a little closer without being spotted. One thing I found though is that the AP on Shiratsuyu can get citadels on most T7 cruisers up close so. She tends to do relatively well 1-on-1 against most CA/CLs and BBs... except German BBs. Stay away from German BBs.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

The main problem with Shiratsuyu is that 34 knots top speed.

You have to pick fights nearby, otherwise you will spend a lot of time traveling and not doing any shooting.

But lo and behold, if there is a big fight coming your way, Shiratsuyu will perform well.

At the start of the match, I like to take it to highly contested areas or high traffic areas, as that 8+8 salvo can really put the hurt in very early on.

Members
117 posts
7,738 battles

Right, then, I think I'll ditch the Fubuki T6 and put that captian in the new Hatsuharu instead.  I may even keep the Hatsu, as well.  Who knows.....

Oh, and I'll throw an obligatory "poi" of my own in here as well.  When with Yuudachi, do as Yuudachi does.  Wait, that's not right....

Sign in to follow this