Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Is the Mahan a noticeable improvement over the Farragut?

23 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

I have a buttload of credits burning a hole in my pocket and am thinking of upgrading to the Mahan today. From the stats on wiki there appears to be little difference between the two.

Is it worth getting or could I use those credits elsewhere? 

I actually prefer the Russkie DDs to the US ones because of the latter's girlie rainbow arc guns.

:unsure:

[JKSDF]
Beta Testers
545 posts
2,691 battles

Mahan's a fun ship, at least from the impressions I got from my few games playing her today. Kinda big in size, but it's nice being able to stealth torp when she's upgraded. The rainbow arc guns are great for firing over islands/mountains and laughing as the enemy can't figure out where all the fire is coming from, too. I'd say she's an improvement over the Farragut, building on Farragut's strengths and rounding them out quite nicely. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

You also get a third torp launcher. It was two launchers on either side and one on the centerline.

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

She's definitely an improvement over the Farragut. The slow torps take some getting used to but having stealth torps with range is great. She either has to knife fight or stay at range and do orbital bombardment but she works.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,436 battles

Better in every respect. Mahan is when the line starts to get fun (aside from Clemson). It is more like Benson (which is great).

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Downgrade at worst, Sidegrade at best.

The main problem is that 7.9km unconcealment range it has.

It goes down to 7.7km with camo on, but it's still quite bad, especially when you want to use your guns, because those are best at <8km ranges.

and by <8km range, I really mean <7km for an average player.

7.7km concealment means you will be lit up like a Christmas tree when you go to contest caps, so short of an island being in the middle of the cap and blocking LoS against you, you are at a severe disadvantage.

The second problem it has is the 35 knots top speed, which is very slow for a ship with that level of poor concealment.

It means that you can't really run away.

[BOOTY]
Beta Testers
385 posts
9,446 battles

Better in every respect. Mahan is when the line starts to get fun (aside from Clemson). It is more like Benson (which is great).

The line got fun for me at Farragut. Once I figured out how to play it I was getting 2000 base xp every other game. The Mahan is an improvement with its good torpedoes and is worth getting.  It also leads to the Benson and Fletcher which are two of the best dds in the game.

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

I'd argue a  slight downgrade.

It's slower, more visible, and has less range.

In return you get a third torp launcher (which is a definite help)

As mentioned, the slower speed with the higher visibility makes it a little harder to disengage when you need to,

The other issue is being a higher tier, you (well I do) spend a lot more time in games with T8+ DD's, which have far better concealment than you do.

That being said, I enjoy the line, but I certainly am not that great at playing it., I don't think it's a bad ship, but I'd say slight downgrade rather than upgrade.

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

The Mahan gets the ability to stealth torp. Other than that its got a larger detection range and is a clumsy destroyer compared to the Farragut. It gets the job done but it's the basic pick-up-truck of the USN DD line.

Edited by Vekta408

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,670 battles

The one thing I didn't really like about Mahan was that the first torpedos to launch are your centerline ones. Next would be your port or starboard set. It should be the other way around. Launching the centerline set first takes away a major option for you.

Get the Ognevoi...

[BOOTY]
Beta Testers
385 posts
9,446 battles

Mine did have a lower life expectancy mostly because its going against higher tier ships. But it still does its job well, and once I got used to it I found it performing just as well as the Farragut(1,800 average base xp).

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

I wouldn't want to be a Farragut against a Mahan, but tier-for-tier Mahan is perhaps slightly worse. There are differences between these two ships, but they are far smaller than the similarities.

If you need torpedoes which outrange your concealment, I would say you're already not getting your money's worth from this line. But if that's the case then I would also say that yes, for you Mahan is better and it will only improve from there through Benson and on to Fletcher. Each ship from Nicholas to Fletcher gets better at stand-off torpedo attacks than its predecessor.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

The one thing I didn't really like about Mahan was that the first torpedos to launch are your centerline ones. Next would be your port or starboard set. It should be the other way around. Launching the centerline set first takes away a major option for you.

Press C when you have your torpedoes selected to change which launcher is selected.
  • Cool 1

Members
199 posts
2,045 battles

It is very bad stock, as you don't have the long range torps yet, but you still have that 7.9km spotting range.  Id say the saving grace for the Mahan is its ability to stealth torp, even if they are slow and are tricky to get off with out being spotted.  Aside form that, getting a captain with DE, SE and Super makes her far better.  I would also recommend that you always fly a SM signal, boosts the speed to 37+ knots and 39+ with the boost. 

Members
522 posts

Downgrade at worst, Sidegrade at best.

The main problem is that 7.9km unconcealment range it has.

It goes down to 7.7km with camo on, but it's still quite bad, especially when you want to use your guns, because those are best at <8km ranges.

and by <8km range, I really mean <7km for an average player.

7.7km concealment means you will be lit up like a Christmas tree when you go to contest caps, so short of an island being in the middle of the cap and blocking LoS against you, you are at a severe disadvantage.

The second problem it has is the 35 knots top speed, which is very slow for a ship with that level of poor concealment.

It means that you can't really run away.

Yeah, I thought of it as a downgrade with the slower speed and rudder shift. I will need to try it again as I've been playing the Fubuki a lot, and am getting used to ships slower than 46 knots of the Russian DD line. 

[SOSL]
Members
147 posts
7,641 battles

Pros: three torp launchers, ability to stealth torp, same strengths as Farragut in the gun/AA department.

Cons: high visibility and low speed, relatively.

I found the Mahan kind of a low point in the USN DD line, to be honest. The high detection rating can be a bear. But it's worth it to get to the Benson and Fletcher. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I used to kill mahan with my farragut in ranked couple rounds ago.   smaller,  stealthier,  better knife fighting.   now I kill mahan in my sims.  :D  that lack of concealment sucks on mahan.    but you get benson after that.   benson is great DD.

Members
117 posts
7,738 battles

I actually had a better run in my Mahan than I thought I would.  The main gun arrangement is a major improvement over the Farragut, and it's nice to have two wing-mounted torpedo launchers.  The only real downside for me was the 7.9 km detection range.  Aside from that, though, I think you'll like the Mahan.

[TORP]
[TORP]
Members
290 posts
40,698 battles

It is such a grind to improve it to the point of getting the stealth Torps.  Really have no clue how to fight it.  But then I have been lost in the US DDs since the Sampson which I once Krakened

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

It is such a grind to improve it to the point of getting the stealth Torps.  Really have no clue how to fight it.  But then I have been lost in the US DDs since the Sampson which I once Krakened

That's pretty much the problem. Clemson, Nicholas and Farragut are all good destroyers but you didn't find your groove there. As you go up in tier mistakes become more difficult to recover from, because offence improves far more than defence as you go up in tier. You might want to try watching some good players play those ships. Just don't waste your time watching mediocre players' top replays, since anyone can get lucky but that doesn't mean their decisions were necessarily good to repeat.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

It used to be a downgrade when it had the horrible 6.4 km torps. Now not so much cause you can stealth torp. 

It is definately in a much better place now, it used to be a downgrade. Now it is very much an upgrade going from Farragut to Mahan. 

Sign in to follow this