Pigeon_of_War

Round 6: The Wiki Editor Team needs YOU!

• You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.

59 posts in this topic

Greetings Captains!

We are looking to fill TWO SPACES on our Wiki Team! Do you have what it takes? Well, here is your chance to prove it. We would like for you to write a 500 word essay on Admiral Graf Spee. Tell us a bit about the creation, history, and overall make up of this ship. 

This contest will run from 1530 Pacific Thursday 12/01 through 0900 Pacific Monday 12/05. 

We will be judging on facts, spelling, punctuation, and grammar. So make sure it is buttoned up and ready to go by the deadline. Also, we will be checking for copy and pasting! Don't be that guy PLEASE! The community will catch you and so will we. You will be disqualified from any future writing contests. Thanks. 

Swear you always make these when I'm busy working on Grad School papers, not that I know how to edit a wiki anyway.

Hmm, this actually interests me. Maybe i need another title. :hiding:

Hmm, this actually interests me. Maybe i need another title. :hiding:

Could always lobby for an official "Forum Cat" group

I await the time to roast that one guy that copy and pastes wikipedia with the hyperlinks still attached..

I await patiently..

I await the time to roast that one guy that copy and pastes wikipedia with the hyperlinks still attached..

I await patiently..

Are you Plagiarism Police?

Actually plagiarism can land you serious criminal charges, I wonder if things will go that far...

I await patiently..

Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the “loser,” and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment. When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3×5 card reading, “Please use this M&M for breeding purposes.” This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this “grant money.” I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one. 

Just swear new IJN line (5.15) is a fantastic improvement on playability and fun and you are in!!!

Quite simple

Here's my baddie attempt at writing. It's slightly above 500 words but I promise you it won't be some 50-page university paper.

The Admiral Graf Spee was the third and final ship of the Deutschland-class armoured ships built by the Weimar Republic for service in the Reichsmarine in accordance with the limitations imposed upon Germany by the Treaty of Versailles. During her service with the Kriegsmarine, the Admiral Graf Spee conducted numerous non-intervention patrols during the Spanish Civil War, represented Germany at King George VI’s coronation, and participated in commerce raiding during the Second World War. The Admiral Graf Spee represents an interesting class of ships whose designs stands out in the impressive amount of designs resulting from the Second World War.

Admiral Graf Spee, a member of the Deutschland-class, was 610 feet long with a beam of 71 feet. While her official stated displacement was 10,000 tons, her full load displacement was far greater than stated with the actual displacement being closer to 15,000 long tons. Despite having tonnage similar to heavy cruisers such as the later Admiral Hipper, German designers were able to arm the Admiral Graf Spee and her sisters with six 11-inch SK C/28 guns which caused the British to refer to the class as “pocket battleships”. Along with a powerful battery of 11-inch guns, she carried a pair of quadruple torpedo launchers on the stern. The heavy armaments and the Treaty of Versaille restrictions resulted in the ship having a belt only 2.4 inches to 3.1 inches thick. Four sets of MAN 9-cylinder diesel engines allowed the her to reach speeds of 28.5 knots.

Originally ordered as the Ersatz Braunschweig, the Admiral Graf Spee was ordered to replace the aging pre-dreadnought Braunschweig. She was laid down on October 1st, 1932, launched on June 30th, 1934, and completed on January 6th, 1936. After three months of conducting trials she joined the fleet with Captain Patzig in command. In 1936, the Admiral Graf Spee was sent to the Atlantic to conduct non-intervention patrol off the coast of Spain following the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. On her way back from Spain she attended The Coronation Review of King George VI, representing Germany. After the review she returned to Spain to continue non-intervention patrols .

When the Second World War broke out the Admiral Graf Spee was sent to the Atlantic to participate in commerce raiding operations. Captain Langsdorff, who took command of the ship in 1938, was ordered to abide by prize rules and to avoid engaging with enemy combatants. On September 26th, 1939, Admiral Graf Spee Was given orders to begin attacks on Allied Merchant ships. Between September 1939 and December 1939, Admiral Graf Spee sank nine ships with a combined tonnage of over 50,000 tons. Numerous attempts were made by the British and the French to hunt down Admiral Graf Spee but none were successful in doing so. On December 13th, 1939, the she would participate in its final engagement. In what is now known as the Battle of the River Plate, the Admiral Graf Spee fought alone against three British cruisers, severely damaging all of them. Both sides disengaged from the action with the Admiral Graf Spee retreating to Montevideo and the British cruisers not far away, watching for any attempts to break out of port.

Unwilling to have the Admiral Graf Spee be interned by the Uruguayans who were likely to allow Allied forces to inspect the ship or risk the lives of his men conducting a breakout, Captain Langsdorff ordered the ship to be scuttled on December 17th, 1939. On December 18th, 1939, a large crowd had formed to spectate the scuttling of the Admiral Graf Spee. She burned for two days after her scuttling in shallow water.

The Admiral Graf Spee was a rather interesting ship, being a part of a class that laid somewhere between cruiser and battleship. Her design represented Germany’s defiance against the Treaty of Versailles with her heavy armament while officially staying within the restrictions of the treaty, thus putting her and her sisters in the spotlight when many look into the naval history of the Second World War.

Edited by T_R_A_C_E_R

Here's my baddie attempt at writing. It's slightly above 500 words but I promise you it won't be some 50-page university paper.

The Admiral Graf Spee was the third and final ship of the Deutschland-class armoured ships built by the Weimar Republic for service in the Reichsmarine in accordance with the limitations imposed upon Germany by the Treaty of Versailles. During her service with the Kriegsmarine, the Admiral Graf Spee conducted numerous non-intervention patrols during the Spanish Civil War, represented Germany at King George VI’s coronation, and participated in commerce raiding during the Second World War. The Admiral Graf Spee represents an interesting class of ships whose designs stands out in the impressive amount of designs resulting from the Second World War.

Admiral Graf Spee, a member of the Deutschland-class, was 610 feet long with a beam of 71 feet. While her official stated displacement was 10,000 tons but in practise, her full load displacement was far greater than stated with the actual displacement being closer to 15,000 long tons. Despite having tonnage similar to heavy cruisers such as the later Admiral Hipper, German designers were able to arm the Admiral Graf Spee and her sisters with six 11-inch SK C/28 guns which caused the British to refer to the class as “pocket battleships”. Along with a powerful battery of 11-inch guns, she carried a pair of quadruple torpedo launchers on the stern. The heavy armaments and the Treaty of Versaille restrictions resulted in the ship having a belt only 2.4 inches to 3.1 inches thick. Four sets of MAN 9-cylinder diesel engines allowed the her to reach speeds of 28.5 knots.

Originally ordered as the Ersatz Braunschweig, the Admiral Graf Spee was ordered to replace the aging pre-dreadnought Braunschweig. She was laid down on October 1st, 1932, launched on June 30th, 1934, and completed on January 6th, 1936. After three months of conducting trials she joined the fleet with Captain Patzig in command. In 1936, the Admiral Graf Spee was sent to the Atlantic to conduct non-intervention patrol off the coast of Spain following the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War. On her way back from Spain she attended The Coronation Review of King George VI, representing Germany. After the review she returned to Spain to continue a non-intervention patrols .

When the Second World War broke out the Admiral Graf Spee was sent to the Atlantic to participate in commerce raiding operations. Captain Langsdorff, who took command of the ship in 1938, was ordered to abide by prize rules and to avoid engaging with enemy combatants. On September 26th, 1939, Admiral Graf Spee Was given orders to begin attacks on Allied Merchant ships. Between September 1939 and December 1939, Admiral Graf Spee sank nine ships with a combined tonnage of over 50,000 tons. Numerous attempts were made by the British and the French to hunt down Admiral Graf Spee but none were successful in doing so. On December 13th, 1939, the she would participate in its final engagement. In what is now known as the Battle of the River Plate, the Admiral Graf Spee fought alone against three British cruisers, severely damaging all of them. Both sides disengaged from the action with the Admiral Graf Spee retreating to Montevideo and the British cruisers not far away, watching for any attempts to break out of port.

Unwilling to have the Admiral Graf Spee be interned by the Uruguayans who were likely to allow Allied forces to inspect the ship or risk the lives of his men conducting a breakout, Captain Langsdorff ordered the ship to be scuttled on December 17th, 1939. On December 18th, 1939, a large crowd had formed to spectate the scuttling of the Admiral Graf Spee. She burned for two days after her scuttling in shallow water.

The Admiral Graf Spee was a rather interesting ship, being a part of a class that laid somewhere between cruiser and battleship. Her design represented Germany’s defiance against the Treaty of Versailles with her heavy armament while officially staying within the restrictions of the treaty, thus putting her and her sisters in the spotlight when many look into the naval history of the Second World War.

It's 175 words above 500.

Admiral Graf Spee

The Admiral Graf Spee was the third and last ship of the Deutschland-class armored cruisers. Commissioned in 1936 the Deutschland-class was a series of Cruisers that were designed to displace 10.000 tons while having a superior armament to most cruisers. With a speed around 29.5 knots and a main armament of two triple barreled 28.3cm turrets these ships were faster than every stronger ship and vice viscera except for the Japanese Kongou-class, the HMS Hood, HMS Renown and HMS Repulse. Secondary armament consisted of four single barreled 15cm guns and three twin 10.5cm dual purpose guns while the Anti-Air-Armament was covered with eight 37mm guns in twin mounts and ten 20mm single mounted machine guns. The Torpedo armament consisted of two quadruple launchers of 53.3cm Tubes.

In the first year of her service record Graf Spee was the flagship of the German Kriegsmarine. In 1937 during the Spanish civil war Graf Spee saw action while shelling the Spanish city Málaga. She was also part of the blockade that also consisted of Italian, British and French ships. After her service in the blockade Graf Spee took place in a fleet maneuver due to the coronation of King George VI.

On the 21. August 1939, one and a half week before the outbreak of WW2, Graf Spee departed into the southern Atlantic to raid allied ships. Until the 13th of December she sunk nine transport ships with a total of 50,000 GRT. Between her attacks she refueled at the oiler Altmark. On 13th of December she engaged two British cruisers and one Cruiser of the New-Zealand Navy, Exeter, Ajax and Achilles respectively during the battle of the River Plate. The Exeter took heavy damage at her artillery while the Graf Spee took hits in her storage rooms and fueling system forcing her to disengage and sail into the neutral port in Montevideo. However the British ambassador arranged that she should only be allowed to stay for three days, too short to repair her. Plans to break through the British blockade that consisted of HMS Ajax, HMNZS Achilles and HMS Cumberland, which replaced the Exeter, would be difficult due to the depth of the Plate that would give Graf Spee no space to maneuver. On the evening of 17th December, Graf Spee left Montevideo with only 40 sailors that abandoned her as she was three miles away of the port.. At 7:52 PM several explosive charges detonated and Graf Spee sunk onto the shallow bottom leaving her burning for several days.

The crew left for Buenos Aires where the captain of Graf Spee, Hans Langdorff, shot himself.

Remarkable about the service record of Graf Spee is that during her raid on transport ship not a single sailor lost his life. Due to it being early in the war international rights were fully respected and it was given enough time to leave the ships. Her fame is probably based on her sinking which was viewed by thousands of people from Montevideo.

Let's try it Edited by SireneRacker

Here is my horrible attempt:

A pocket battleship. What image would come to mind, when told of such a thing? Would it be a miniature Iowa, or a toy-sized Yamato? The Deutchland-class were German warships, though only two in class, to serve as Heavy Cruisers during World War II. So named pocket battleships by the Royal Navy, these ships were "stated" to be under the 10,000 ton limit for naval Cruisers, but like other navies of the period they broke the treaty with no hesitation. Patrolling Atlantic shipping lanes, it's armament of six(6) 280mm guns could shoot over 27,000m(30,000yds)!
     The Adm. Graf Spee claimed nine(9) merchant vessels, with a gross register tonnage(a measurement of usable space for goods aboard a ship) in only 4 short months. However, it wasn't very soon after, Adm. Graf Spee would be cornered by three Royal Navy Cruisers and set upon by their six(6)" guns in the Battle of the River Plate. Trading blows with HMS Ajax, HMNZS Achilles, and HMS Exeter, Adm. Graf Spee held her own, and landed serious damage upon Exeter, killing sixty-one(61) and wounding twenty-three(23), incapacitating her "B" turret. Ajax lost use of her "X" and "Y", and twelve(12) casualties, with a reported seven(7) men KIA. Achilles lost four(4) personnel during the fierce battle, Adm. Graf Spee suffering sixty-one(61) casualties, thirty-six(36) lives were lost on board. After trading salvos or over an hour, the Adm. Graf Spee took a hit from Exeter's 203mm rifles, inside of it's funnel, destroying Adm. Graf Spee's fuel processing. With roughly sixteen(16) hours of fuel remaining, Captain Hans Langsdorff, directed the Adm. Graf Spee to head towards Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay. While in the port, the Adm. Graf Spee would fall under several articles of the Hague Convention, stating that: "Belligerent ships may not stay in the port, or territorial waters for over twenty-four(24) hours, or for any longer than sufficient time is needed for repairs." Article sixteen(16), would keep the Adm. Graf Spee in port, as British Intelligence conspired with British and French merchant vessels to head into, and out of the port at regular intervals, as the article had stated that: "A ship may not leave port for twenty-four(24) hours after a merchant ship, flying the flag of an adversary had left."
  During all this time, British Intelligence had been feeding false information to Capt. Langsdorff, that another British force was in the area. While Force H was on it's way, it wouldn't arrive for some time, and only Heavy Cruiser HMS Cumberland, HMS Ajax, and HMNZS Achilles were outside of the three(3) mile limit of common territorial practice. It would be not long after Capt. Langsdorff had negotiated for fair treatment for his crew, that he would order the scuttling of the Adm. Graf Spee. Langsdorff Would pen letters to his family and other officers, before ultimately taking his own life. The Graf Spee would burn for two days after the scuttling, the event being seen by 20,000 people.

May those who served on her, find peace.

Edited by LuminousWraith

Please don't put yourself down with your entries.  You've spent a lot of time putting it together.  Be proud of that work!

Important question: what is the age necessary? I heard some people and Niko bring up the term minor but that is an age that varies in each country. And in case we take the US, is it 18 or 21? By german standarts I am fully adult (18) but I doubt that german law counts here.

Important question: what is the age necessary? I heard some people and Niko bring up the term minor but that is an age that varies in each country. And in case we take the US, is it 18 or 21? By german standarts I am fully adult (18) but I doubt that german law counts here.

It's 18 here anyway, so it's irrelevant for you. :)

It's 18 here anyway, so it's irrelevant for you. :)

Phew thanks