You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ShatteredJade

Why Yamato's 155 fires AP rounds?

13 comments in this topic

Members
140 posts
8,668 battles

As title, why Yamato's 155 is the only secondary gun of BB firing AP round ?  

edit : I meant high tie BBs 9 + 10.  

Edited by ShatteredJade

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

As title, why Yamato's 155 is the only secondary gun of BB firing AP round ?  

It's not. All of the Japanese and German casemate secondaries fire AP, as well as Izumo's 155s, which are the same turret, so it makes sense.
Edited by SergeantHop

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Either way, it's stupid, and they'd be much more useful with HE.

Although the occasional lucky cit pen is pretty funny. As long as you aren't on the receiving end.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

In regards to your edit, my point still stands. The Kawachi, Nassau and Konig Albert all have some secondaries that fire AP.

Either way, it's stupid, and they'd be much more useful with HE.

Although the occasional lucky cit pen is pretty funny. As long as you aren't on the receiving end.

They have their uses, but are certainly more relevant on the low tier battleships based on the fact that it always aims for the waterline. If it could aim for the superstructure, the AP secondaries would do some serious work.

Edited by SergeantHop

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

All secondaries above 130mm fire AP. There may be an exception or two, but it holds well as a general rule.

[SIMNZ]
Members
767 posts
7,551 battles

All secondaries above 130mm fire AP. There may be an exception or two, but it holds well as a general rule.

I think they said it in a Naval Academy video from about a year ago. 

Members
140 posts
8,668 battles

both 9/10 german BBs fire all HE, feels unfair to me.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

both 9/10 german BBs fire all HE, feels unfair to me.

It's not that big of a deal. How often do you close to secondary range in a Yamato or Montana anyway? Both ships are most effective at 12-15km as it is, where GK needs to get under 10km because of German™ dispersion. Yammy is the most accurate BB in the game with lol-pen guns. Monty can get sub-3s secondary reloads and has US AP. GK has... auto-bounce and secondaries? Seems fair to me...

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I can think of eight counterexamples, all German.

Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Tirpitz, Bismarck, Roon, Freiderich der Grosse, and Grosser Kurfurst all have 150mm HE secondaries. 

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

I can think of eight counterexamples, all German.

Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Tirpitz, Bismarck, Roon, Freiderich der Grosse, and Grosser Kurfurst all have 150mm HE secondaries. 

And WG justified it as they felt that the line would have been weak just firing AP only across all their 150mm secondaries while in brawl range.  Though given how good they are, I'm inclined to believe that AP would have been a better choice anyway.