Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

How come the new tier 5 German DD isn't called the Elbing-class? Also, why are so few people excited for it?

32 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

To the extent of my knowledge, the T-22 IRL was an Elbing-class torpedoboat. For those of you who don't know, the Elbing-class torpedoboats were the main ships that the 10th Destroyer Flotilla faced in the Channel in 1944. The only two surviving ships from the Flotilla today are the HMCS Haida (which NEEDS to be a premium in the future) and the ORP Blyskawica. I'd have thought the history buffs, the other proud Canadians in the game, and the other people who love the Blyskawica would be hyped to see historically accurate opponents for their little Polish fire-breathers and for their pride of the RCN when it finally arrives in the game.

Edited by 1Sherman

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

class is not = to ship names

Members
1,343 posts
3,378 battles

To the extent of my knowledge, the T-22 IRL was an Elbing-class torpedoboat. For those of you who don't know, the Elbing-class torpedoboats were the main ships that the 13th Destroyer Flotilla faced in the Channel in 1944. The only two surviving ships from the Flotilla today are the HMCS Haida (which NEEDS to be a premium in the future) and the ORP Blyskawica. I'd have thought the history buffs, the other proud Canadians in the game, and the other people who love the Blyskawica would be hyped to see historically accurate opponents for their little Polish fire-breathers and for their pride of the RCN when it finally arrives in the game.

I agree, you need the correct name however, the tech tree has class names, not ship names.

However, it's the 10th Destroyer Flotilla, not the 13th Flotilla.

Edited by xX_Critical_ClopOut69_Xx

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

They're destroyers, which for one is the second line in a row for that class, and for another people aren't really hyped for small torpedoboats with peashooters compared to big-name, big-gun stuff like the Mighty Mo.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

They're destroyers, which for one is the second line in a row for that class, and for another people aren't really hyped for small torpedoboats with peashooters compared to big-name, big-gun stuff like the Mighty Mo.

The Elbing-class were big for torpedoboats, similar in tonnage and armament to the Tribal-class DDs that were sinking them.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

I agree, you need the correct name however, the tech tree has class names, not ship names.

And yet every other tech tree ship has its class name as the ship name.

P.S. Fixed the name of the flotilla. Thanks again.

Edited by 1Sherman

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

south carolina = Michigan-class

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

That's because every other ship which is named actually had a name (with a few exceptions like USS Nicholas for USN, FDG and GK for Germany, or Moskva for Soviets - none of those names are historical and I personally wish they would use their project designations instead). German DDs mostly have numbers instead of names because it was very uncommon that Germany actually name torpedo boats or destroyers.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Just did a quick Google search and what I found said that USS South Carolina BB-26, the first American dreadnought and the tier III USN BB ingame, was the lead ship of her class.

Members
1,343 posts
3,378 battles

No prob. I do agree though. WG has consistently used class names instead of individual ships, so Ebling makes more sense.
  • Cool 1

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Uh what? South Carolina is the South Carolina class leader.....

look it up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina-class_battleship

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

No prob. I do agree though. WG has consistently used class names instead of individual ships, so Ebling makes more sense.

From what I've looked up, it's spelled E-L-B-I-N-G. I think you have the L and the B mixed up.

Members
4,274 posts
4,649 battles

Uh what? South Carolina is the South Carolina class leader.....

South Carolina is called Michigan in the game files

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

While it is called Michigan in the game files and the class is sometimes called the Michigan-class, it is the South Carolina-class dreadnought battleships.

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

South Carolina-Michigan debate is the same as the Scharnhorst-Gneisenau debate and the debate about Malin-Fantasque debate that will occur when the French DDs are released. Ship class names weren't always formal, also sometimes it wasn't clear when one class ended and the next began. Subclasses are also a thing (the Flint was an Oakland-class subvariant of the Atlanta-class for instance). 

Anyway Elbing was the Allied name for the class because they were built at the Elbing shipyard. 

With all that said it is really dumb that they made up names for the H39/41 (FDG), Project 66 Cruiser (Moskva), Project G18 (Hakuryu) and a host of made up ships like the Roon, Grosser Kurfurst, Hindenburg, and Zao (which they say is based on a design, but there's no design I could find that matches the Zao) etc. Ships without names should be design numbers for clarity. When no design number exists that should be made clear and some other naming convention (perhaps using the "experimental" descriptor should be used).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,907 battles

Many of the British ships don't quite follow this trend, there is no HMS Tribal, HMS Town, HMS County, HMS Admiral, HMS A through HMS R etc.

Dseehafer at least is very hyped, I'm keen to give them a go - they were in an absolute ton of engagements. Visually I don't find them that appealing is the only downside, that and T5 matchmaking....

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

The Elbing-class were big for torpedoboats, similar in tonnage and armament to the Tribal-class DDs that were sinking them.

Not similar.  The Elbings weighed 1755 tons at the most, compared to the Tribals which were 2520 at the fullest.  The Tribals also had more guns, 6 x 4.7" (120mms) where the Elbings had 4 x 105mms.  

Only one Elbing was sunk by Tribals + Blys, and the Elbings paid them back by sinking the HMCS Athabaskan, which was among the ships that sank the T-29.  Credit for sinking the Haida's sisterboat goes to the T-24.

The best comparison for the Elbings in terms of armament and tonnage are Minekaze.

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

Many of the British ships don't quite follow this trend, there is no HMS Tribal, HMS Town, HMS County, HMS Admiral, HMS A through HMS R etc.

Dseehafer at least is very hyped, I'm keen to give them a go - they were in an absolute ton of engagements. Visually I don't find them that appealing is the only downside, that and T5 matchmaking....

The British style of class name is to describe a common thread that unifies these names ---- Tribals are based African and Canadian native peoples; Crown Colonies are based on well, crown colonies, Counties are based on English counties.  But still the class name is the one given by the British themselves.

The Germans never gave these boats "Elbing" name because there are a lot of other torpedoboats made in Elbing.  The formal name for these ships is Flottentorpedoboot 1939.  

The Elbing shipyard was also contracted to build the Flottentorpedoboot 1941, which was an improvement over FTB 1939 with more powerful engines and more AA, though Flottentorpedoboot 1940 were contracted to Dutch shipbuilders.  

Something I like to see in the game.

Flottentorpedoboot 1940 are the ones that are truly Tribal size, up to 2500 tons, 4 x 5" guns with 8 torpedo tubes, three of them were laid down, launched but never completed due to war circumstances.  Parts of these were later recycled for post war Dutch destroyers.  They look closer to the Hermelin in the game, since that was also a Dutch design with similar superstructure and funnel design.   I like to see these in the game, probably a Tier 6.

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ships/torpedoboats/flottentorpedoboot1940/index.html

We already have precedent for Dutch designs on the German line --- Hermelin appears based on the K1, K2 and K3 gunboats that were captured from the Dutch and finished by the Germans.  In addition to that, you got the ZH1, ZH2 and ZH3 aka torpedoboot jager; the ZH1 was sunk along with T29 in the engagement against the Tribals which had Haida and Blys involved, so ZH1 earns its right with its karmic historic connection.

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/captured/destroyer/zh1/index.html

Edited by Eisennagel

Members
1,343 posts
3,378 battles

The British style of class name is to describe a common thread that unifies these names ---- Tribals are based African and Canadian native peoples; Crown Colonies are based on well, crown colonies, Counties are based on English counties.  But still the class name is the one given by the British themselves.

The Germans never gave these boats "Elbing" name because there are a lot of other torpedoboats made in Elbing.  The formal name for these ships is Flottentorpedoboot 1939.  

The Elbing shipyard was also contracted to build the Flottentorpedoboot 1941, which was an improvement over FTB 1939 with more powerful engines and more AA, though Flottentorpedoboot 1940 were contracted to Dutch shipbuilders.  

Something I like to see in the game.

Flottentorpedoboot 1940 are the ones that are truly Tribal size, up to 2500 tons, 4 x 5" guns with 8 torpedo tubes, three of them were laid down, launched but never completed due to war circumstances.  Parts of these were later recycled for post war Dutch destroyers.  They look closer to the Hermelin in the game, since that was also a Dutch design with similar superstructure and funnel design.   I like to see these in the game, probably a Tier 6.

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/ships/torpedoboats/flottentorpedoboot1940/index.html

We already have precedent for Dutch designs on the German line --- Hermelin appears based on the K1, K2 and K3 gunboats that were captured from the Dutch and finished by the Germans.  In addition to that, you got the ZH1, ZH2 and ZH3 aka torpedoboot jager; the ZH1 was sunk along with T29 in the engagement against the Tribals which had Haida and Blys involved, so ZH1 earns its right with its karmic historic connection.

http://www.german-navy.de/kriegsmarine/captured/destroyer/zh1/index.html

I'd imagine ZH-1 will be a Tier 6 premium and Haida at Tier 7.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,907 battles

The Germans did it at least once as well with the Raubtier class torpedo boats.

I have seen some people for instance call the Tribals the Afridi class, but I've not seen it used much.

Only one Elbing was sunk by Tribals + Blys, and the Elbings paid them back by sinking the HMCS Athabaskan, which was among the ships that sank the T-29.  Credit for sinking the Haida's sisterboat goes to the T-24.

If you wanted another historic re-match Emerald's sister ship Enterprise participated in the destruction of T25 and T26.

Edited by mofton

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Not similar.  The Elbings weighed 1755 tons at the most, compared to the Tribals which were 2520 at the fullest.  The Tribals also had more guns, 6 x 4.7" (120mms) where the Elbings had 4 x 105mms.  

The best comparison for the Elbings in terms of armament and tonnage are Minekaze.

The 10th Destroyer Flotilla still engaged Elbing-class ships and damaged them, if not sunk them. Also, the Elbing-class had similar armament as the DDs of the flotilla and was not that much slower.

Beta Testers
11,668 posts

The 10th Destroyer Flotilla still engaged Elbing-class ships and damaged them, if not sunk them. Also, the Elbing-class had similar armament as the DDs of the flotilla and was not that much slower.

Really?  The flottila had destroyers with six guns, and the Elbings only had four, all of smaller caliber.  The KD ratio of Elbings vs. Tribals in surface combat are 1 and 1 each.  In total surface action with the Royal Navy, Elbings lost three in surface action, but accounted for three surface kills, two destroyers (one Tribal) and one light cruiser.

Sign in to follow this