You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Best low-tier destroyers?

30 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,006 battles

Hi,

I am mostly a Battleship player but I am interested in low-tier destroyers since I do not have much idea how to play them. I need a good destroyer, max. tier IV (preferably up to Tier III). I also want to train a captain. I accept premium destroyers as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

[_XXX_]
Beta Testers
1,974 posts

Umikaze. even though only a tier 2 the torp reload time is fast and has great range..its a fun fun fun ship to play

Members
342 posts
6,006 battles

I like either USN or RU, but that's just me.

If you want a lot of the new goodies from 0.5.15, try IJN.

I've heard something in the chats. When will those DDs arrive? Thank you.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,150 battles

The low tier premium DD's (Smith, Tachibana) are pretty abysmal.

For tech tree ships, you can have fun with any of the lower tier DD's.  They all just play very different.  USN and IJN are both very useable, while the T2 and T3 Russian DD's become more situational than the others (poor gun DPM, close range suicidal torps).

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
687 posts
9,399 battles

For me the Clemson is a really fun ship to run.  I will usually play 2 or 3 games in one as just a kind of warm up if you will.

Stout Hearts

-AK-Warhawk

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

All three DD branches are unique, personally I love them all (though the IJN is my least favorite). If you wanna be a close range knife fighter and be forced to learn ambush tactics for torps, then the USN DDs are for you. I would probably vote for the Clemson (IV) Wicks if you insist on staying at T3. If you want a more long range gunboat with a little more punch, then the VMF (Russian) DDs are a better choice. I personally didn't "click" with this line till the Gnevy (V) so I can't really speak for the lower tiers. However, if you wanna be a torpedo ninja, the its all about the IJN DDs. Poor guns, but great concealment and torps. The Wakatake (III)and the Isokaze (V) are great for learning this line. One word of warning though, the Isokaze is going to be effected by the IJN line change tomorrow. 

Edit: The premium DDs for the USN and IJN at T2 are not great for training and are not like the tech tree brothers. The T5 IJN DDs are great, but not currently available. 

Edited by jford068

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,462 battles

On the IJN side, wrong day to ask, as the new line, and nerfs, hit tomorrow. Will have to try before I can answer.

That said, with the current IJN DD line, Umikaze and Wakatake are both very powerful for the tier. Isokaze is borderline OP. They will be nerfed a bit.

For gunboats, I like Isokaze and Clemson at T4. Both are powerful for the tier.

For giggles and crazy fun I play Derzki.

I am not fond of the other T2 and T3 not mentioned, except maybe Wickes if you insist on USN T3. I'd rather do Clemson.

For the premiums, neither one is good (Smith, Tachibana, Campbeltown).

Edited by alexf24

[KFL]
Supertester
693 posts
18,578 battles

I've heard something in the chats. When will those DDs arrive? Thank you.

Read the news page for more details but tomorrow morning.11/30

[A-D-F]
Members
1,482 posts
22,290 battles

If you're interested in Russian destroyers, both the tier II Storozhevoi and tier IV Izyaslav are great low tier destroyers to play. With max ranges of 9.7 km (Storozhevoi) and 10.2 km (Izyaslav) and very good gun arcs, they are great examples of how most of the line plays. Very easy to shoot from max range with very little trouble hitting, very easy to take out other destroyers, and get even stronger with higher level captains to boost what you prefer depending on what skills you choose (BFT (increased gun rate), EM(better turret turn), AFT(increased gun range), DE(increased fire chance), CE(more concealment)). There are more details as well so if you wish to know, just ask.

Edited by Lightninger

[RST]
Members
612 posts
14,993 battles

IJN destroyers if you like torp play and trying to remain stealthy (we'll see how they fare after the update tomorrow)...I overall favor the IJN destroyers, but statistically I think I've done better in my US DDs in tiers 2-4, so Wickes (III) and Clemson (IV).  Good luck!

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Umikaze, Wickes, Clemson, Isokaze, Izyaslav, Derpski.... favorite is probably Clemson and Isokaze.

Members
319 posts
5,590 battles

Clemson, upgrading the hull makes all your single mount guns into duals.   Lotsa fire starting going on if you build up the captain to DE.  It is a gunboat.    On most of the maps it runs, there is plenty of opportunity for torpedo ambushing as well.  More than half of the Krackens I've been awarded in this game  have been in either Clemson or Minekaze.

The IJN DDs, from my perspective, are more of a stealthy sniper boat.  Great for dropping torps in undetected.

[FAE]
Members
2,626 posts
3,982 battles

All BB players should play Isokaze.  Like, it should be a tech tree requirement. =P 

We'd get a lot less potatoes after that. 

[CVA16]
Members
8,890 posts
27,128 battles

All BB players should play Isokaze.  Like, it should be a tech tree requirement.

Is that the pre-nerf Isokaze?

[DD214]
Members
816 posts
44,774 battles

Isokaze is high on the list, the nerf today slowed her torps and pulled the punch, so I'm doing ~40-50K damage instead for 70-100K.   That's with a 19 point capt, but she hunts very well with a 10 pointer. She's a  torpedo boat, but can hurt with guns.

The Clemson is a much better gun boat, the torps require getting into detection range,

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

for sheer fun, clemson or iszy.    I also like tachibanana and strozhevoi.     (just manic torps and gunfire at close range)     

Members
342 posts
6,006 battles

I have some further questions:

- Along with Umikaze, is there any other Tier II/III would you recommend me?

- Playing co-op is a good training to learn the ropes before playing custom battles?

[EPOXY]
Members
91 posts
21,961 battles

if you improved ur skills from all high tier battles u played, Clemson is the seal clubing gunboat for u.

Members
342 posts
6,006 battles

I reply over this previous question: Which destroyer would you recommend me for low tier II-V to hunt other destroyers? The thing is I like japanese destroyers, but when an enemy destroyer superior in artillery detect me, I am done. I want to hunt other destroyers in low tier battles, sound funny.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,321 battles
13 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

I reply over this previous question: Which destroyer would you recommend me for low tier II-V to hunt other destroyers? The thing is I like japanese destroyers, but when an enemy destroyer superior in artillery detect me, I am done. I want to hunt other destroyers in low tier battles, sound funny.

Vampire; tier 3 so you can play against everything from tier 2 to tier 4, great guns so it won't be a death knell to be uptiered to tier 4, workable torps (though unable to stealth torp like the IJN). GUDBOTE.