Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gavroche_

I take back everything bad I said about the Montana

5 comments in this topic

Members
2,304 posts
11,472 battles

As a person who just made a post about how you should play ships for yourself to judge them and how you shouldn't listen to other people or server stats when making an opinion about a ship, I've just been forced to eat my own words. I've long since derided the Montana for being a weak ship, and being on the Yamato end of the divide has only 'confirmed' my uninformed prejudices against this ship. However, as a person that just unlocked this ship....

It's like ♥love♥

It's like a floating death (for you and your enemies) barge of anti-air + 16" shotgun + an armor belt made of magnets that attracts enemy AP + some ineffable feeling of mutual understanding.

Yesterday I unlocked it and my first game went like this:

GzelhcG.jpg

Then today, I played nothing but the Montana and it went like this:

iUgqWVu.pngwvQJ6L8.png

Where the Iowa felt like a really mediocre ship, with her two frontal guns rarely able to significantly damage an enemy, the Montana with her broadside can really mess a ship up. She's like butter compared to the Yamato's armor, but she's worlds better than the Iowa. She's just as fat and maneuverable as the Iowa, but she's got better armor and a butt-ton more HP.

Honestly, I feel like it doesn't even matter how durable she is. A problem with the 3x3 battleships is that the two frontal turrets are inadequate to reliably citadel cruisers. With the 4x3 configuration, you take more damage to deal more damage. And it is *awesome*.

My tactic with her is to stay back and snipe if it looks like the team is being noncommittal, and if there's DDs willing to smoke me and cruiser and s*** who are ready to push up with me I just yolo forwards. It's like Veni Vidi Vici, only you rarely survive past 10 minutes. I find that the most effect way to push is to keep mostly angled, but after the most threatening enemy BB takes a shot, turn to show just enough broadside to fire all the guns, then re-angle, hopefully catching the return fire with your angled front or angled broadside armor.

Well, here's to my new favorite ship!

5C5ArRL.jpgWsFkz6s.jpgWk3adVn.jpg

I hope to spec into concealment expert soon. That way I don't have to deal with Zaos and Yamatos and stuff if I stop firing.

Members
2,304 posts
11,472 battles

I will admit my winrate in this thing is somewhat low, 43% after 14 games, but that could be just a statistical anomaly.

Or it maybe means I should stop dying so soon...

Or it could be a statistical anomaly...

Members
955 posts
17,468 battles

Montana is a great ship...until you run into a yamato. Same angled degree ship to yamato and you do 2k Damage...his return salvo comes and hits you for 30k. Don't matter what your angle is. This is when you understand that yamato IS the hard counter to the Montana. Trust me...been there so many times. 

Edited by Megrim3

Sign in to follow this