Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Dorja

Des Moines advice

10 comments in this topic

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

So I unlocked and bought the Des Moines today. I mean... I did this like 5 minutes ago. It's my first tier 10. I was starting to actually learn to not do balls awful in the Baltimore, but I was never going to learn to love that ship, and I saw Des Moines was on sale for 10 more hours so I free dropped like 90,000 free exp for Des Moines.

The question I have is what module would people use in the #3 slot (the 3 million credits one).
1. Gun Fire Control System Mod 2 (+16% main battery range) Des Moines and Baltimore both have criminally short range at 15.8, and I ran the range module on the Baltimore, but they also both have USN Rainbow Arcs, with flight times measured in the average length of time it takes Pluto to complete a revolution of the sun. In short, while I found the disgustingly bad range of the Baltimore to be a problem*, I found that increasing that range didn't seem to be much use and I wonder at the usefullness of increasing that range on the Des Moines.

2. Main Battery Mod 3 (-12% to reload time, -13% turret traverse speed) This one seems like it might be a good idea. Des Moines whole selling point is her 6 second reload time, and knocking off 12% of that lowers it down to about 5.3 seconds. Then again, how much difference does that really make, and the 13% slower turrets actually does kind of make a difference. With Expert Marksman, Des Moines turrets take 26.9 seconds to rotate already. That's not awful, but it really isn't fast either. I don't know if it's worth it to make my turrets turn 3.5 seconds slower in order to gain about 7/10 of a second faster RoF or not.

3. AA guns Mod 3 (+25% to AA DPS) This would be a nice thing to have, and I did take the AA range module, but really who is even going to fly into my AA range at this point? I'm already doing 426 AA DPS out to 7.2km, even without BFT, Manual AA, or Defensive Fire. I really don't feel like I want or need this. At this point, with the Des Moines AA reputation so well established, I feel that my AA will already cause enough fear in carriers so as to be like The Death Star according to Grand Moff Tarkin - Fear will keep the CVs in line. Fear of this AA Battle station.

4. Pointless Secondaries Mod 47 (Pointless) Nope. 

I don't know which one I should take. I'm mostly deliberating between #1 and #2, but with a small part of me saying, "If you took #3, you could swat down like 30 planes per second just by raising your eyebrows." Basically, I fear the RoF increase of #2 will be almost unnoticeable because Des Moines already fires so fast, and that the slower turrets might actually make it completely not worth it, but I also doubt the usefulness of 18.3km ranged guns on a ship that already has a hard time hitting out to like 14km ranges. Advice would not be unappreciated, especially by people who have actually played Des Moines recently.

If you want to read my asterisk point, it's in the spoiler. It is a bit ranty though.

*It is widely known and commented on that Baltimore has worse range upgraded than New Orleans, but I'd like to point out that Baltimore and Des Moines only have 100m longer range than Mogami too. Who all on this forum remembers the holy hell that was raised by IJN CA players when Mogami lost AFT boost, and people started swapping to the 8" guns, and there were dozens of threads declaiming that 15.7km range is just too short to be workable on a t8 cruiser? I sure as hell remember it. At least Mog gets great stealth, great HE, awesome speed, low profile hull, decent armor, a TDS (every little bit helps right?) and best of all, amazing torpedoes to help offset that supposedly unworkably short range. USN CAs basically have better placement of guns, and marginally better armor and AP shells to compensate for being worse in damn near every other meaningful way, and only have their main battery guns to use, and even these are arguably worse than the IJN 8" guns. Somehow it was criminal to saddle Mogami with 15.7km range at tier 8, but it's NBD that the USN t9 and t10 only out range that Mogami by literally 1/2 the length of a battleship... seems legit.

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,230 battles

ummmm main bat mod two adds to reload time but turrets are FASTER... at least that is what I remember , not in game now and going to sleep, mostly I want to know myself who gives advice as I am close to my DM too....

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

ummmm main bat mod two adds to reload time but turrets are FASTER... at least that is what I remember 

Yes, MBM2 gives +5% to reload and +15% to turret traverse speed. Combined with MBM3, it's a net total of -7% reload time & +3% turret traverse, which really isn't worth much.

@OP: Nice analysis :great:

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

This is what I already have, just in case anyone might wonder what I've already got.

Modules

Main Armaments Mod 1 (increased turret HP and faster turret repairs)
AA guns Mod 2 (20% AA guns range)
EMPTY SLOT
Damage Control Mod (slot sucks, so tiny bit harder to flood/burn)
Steering Gears Mod 2 (20% faster rudder shift)
Concealment Mod (le duh)

Captain Skills
Basic Survivability ( I really hate being on fire)
Expert Marksmen 

Super Intendent (extra charges of heal, hydro and radar)

AFT (I have de-emphasised AA on my USN CAs some, but if I make their AA completely toothless, a decent CV will notice and stop seeing my ship as a potential super threat to his planes)
Concealment Expert

I'm running all premium consumables. I'll probably toss my 16th point into BFT. If I ever get up to 18 points, probably grab last stand just in case I get my rudder blown off or something.

• Cool 1

Members
2,304 posts
11,472 battles

I've tried both the RoF increase and the range and I think that they are both equally viable. I'd say that if you play in divisions a lot go with the RoF, otherwise stay with the range. The RoF is useless if you get focused down quickly (and people still focus Des Moines, ever since beta) so you kinda have to stay at range until the mid-late game. If you have a friendly Daisy Mae to split the fire or a DD to smoke you up, then the RoF is the fun-er choice IMO.

Edited by Gavorche

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, In AlfaTesters
1,119 posts
24,122 battles

If you're confident in your positioning and ability to use terrain in order to survive at sub 16km ranges, I would recommend the rate of fire increase. Otherwise, the extra range gives you some more room to play around with and eases the strain of having to constantly be positioning yourself well to avoid massive damage. 

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts

DM is horrid for me.  Last match last night I was wondering why my AA wasn't hitting planes 5.2 km from me.  Found out the Second perk wasn't for AA range. For the 4th perk I went Demo for the fires from distance.  I'm almost tempted to drop concealment to get AFT.  Matches are determined on how well the rest of the team does.  This boat will get punished if not careful.   Also, captain is not 18 points yet and I also thought of doing the last mod for detecting torpedoes till I can get that 3rd perk for detention.  Torps popping on my screen at the last moment has been killing me as well.  Turning to avoid BBs and bam DD put torpedoes where I'm turning.

Edited by Nachoo31

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

I think I'm going to take the range mod . I don't think it'll be that useful, but for harassing BBs it'll at least be useful. 

I ran the RoF mood on the Baltimore, and took it off because the ship turned faster than the turrets and I wanted to be able to use the good agility of USN cruisers without having to stop firing. 

Sign in to follow this