You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_ct9w4wQx9cDT

Win rates in this game

15 comments in this topic

Members
18 posts

You could have 4 kills and the best game of your life but rest of the team fails to the following.

1)Cap

2).....

Does win rates really matter in here and can they really tell how good of a player someone is?

Edited by anonym_ct9w4wQx9cDT

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
16,310 posts
23,636 battles

Yes, you could have had 3 kills and caped instead. Win rate really does matter particularly over a large number of battles.

Good players fight their ship really well, great players fight the battle really well.

Edited by paradat

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

Only matters if you want it to.

Also, discussion on win rates has nothing to do with thoughts on the game.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

Win rate isn't the end all be all, for one thing, once you get a few thousand battles, unless you become massively better or worse, it basically becomes a fixed number.

However, IMO, win rate of a player is relatively indicative of how well they are doing because of the following.

What should be your primary objective when you press battle? To win the match, score the most kills, or do the most damage? People who get better win rates are people who are completing the primary objective (winning the match) most often, which means they are better at figuring out what they need to do with their ships in a given scenario, then doing it successfully and helping push their team mates over the hump into victory.

Beta Testers
1,180 posts
7,853 battles

Win rates are not the be all end all but they can give you a general idea of how good a player is. Most of the time I don't really put much weight into just win rates of a player, but if someone is 45% or below then they are actively hurting their team (by not pulling their weight). Obviously win rate percentages only matter over a large set of battles. Trying to worry about win rates when someone only has a few battles or daily win rates are pretty much pointless. A combination of win rates, WTR and ships played is a better (but not perfect) way to tell if someone is good or not. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

You could have 4 kills and the best game of your life but rest of the team fails to the following.

1)Cap

2).....

Tell me your thoughts on this game. Does win rates really matter in here and can they really tell how good of a player someone is?

Yes, WR matters. Kills however don't - it makes no difference who landed the last hit, as long as someone does.

• Cool 1

[USCC]
Members
3,907 posts
19,267 battles

Win rates do matter (But to each differently) as it seems to be talked about quite a bit.

People who have great WR's generally are proud of that, and post it in there sig, and rightfully so.

I never take that as a slap in the face, as I've seen more GOOD info and help come from these players then any other.

I don't have a great WR and although I don't post it, it can easily be looked up, and if people measure me by that then so be it. 

No mater how many great players you have on a team, you can still lose the match, teamwork will always be the key to winning more.

But in this game it's far and few between.

Play the game how you want, enjoy the game the way you want, don't focus on WR or losses focus on having fun at the end of that day that's all that matters. 

:happy_fish:

Edited by SpudZero
  • Cool 1

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

Yeah but what if you are having really bad luck with team match ups? I mean I am having fun but I don't really think win rates can tell how good a player truly is in here.

We all have the same luck with teams over a prolonged period of time. Your WR basically indicates how many "potato sacks" you can carry.
  • Cool 1

Members
14 posts

I've played about 4300 games, I started out not knowing anything about the game and slowly learned how to play. I'm not the greatest player ill admit, but between the learning curve and playing with like players...ie noobs- it is hard to have a win rate that's considered great. I have about 43% win rate. even though I've gotten better over time I will NEVER play at a high enough win rate to change that much, so I win 100 battles in a row my rate isn't moving very far is it?

There are a lot of blowhards that will look up my win rate during battle and deride me for it, I contend there are a lot of jerks that play this game!

if I uninstall and come back with another name my abilities will be better and my win rate will probably be very high...can I then be one of the elitist jerks that I've grown to hate so much?

Why is there the option so that people can look up my record? if I want to join a team I can provide that info, but these asses that rag on me for my win rate are just that...[edited]. this is one of the reasons that I dislike this game!

whatta ya think?

Members
14 posts

I've played about 4300 games, I started out not knowing anything about the game and slowly learned how to play. I'm not the greatest player ill admit, but between the learning curve and playing with like players...ie noobs- it is hard to have a win rate that's considered great. I have about 43% win rate. even though I've gotten better over time I will NEVER play at a high enough win rate to change that much, so I win 100 battles in a row my rate isn't moving very far is it?

There are a lot of blowhards that will look up my win rate during battle and deride me for it, I contend there are a lot of jerks that play this game!

if I uninstall and come back with another name my abilities will be better and my win rate will probably be very high...can I then be one of the elitist jerks that I've grown to hate so much?

Why is there the option so that people can look up my record? if I want to join a team I can provide that info, but these asses that rag on me for my win rate are just that...[edited]. this is one of the reasons that I dislike this game!

whatta ya think?

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

whatta ya think?

Here's a more detailed version of your stats, including nifty progress charts and stuff: https://na.warships.today/player/1017918091/red1956_1

If you create a brand new account, your stats are likely to be similar to what you had in the last month or so.

You can also make your stats private by changing "profile privacy" setting in your profile (on the WOWS website, where you'd normally see your stats).