Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

VMF T8+ Captian Skill and Upgrades  

13 members have voted

1. 1. CSM1 or SGM3

• CSM1
    • SGM3
  2. 2. 15pt Captian Build for T8+

• BFT, EM, SI, DE, CE
    • BFT, EM, LS, SI, DE, AFT
    • Other
  3. 3. 15pt Captian Build for Lenni

• BFT, EM, SI, DE, CE
    • BFT, EM, LS, SI, DE, AFT
    • Other
  4. 4. Start a new Captian

• Yes
    • No

8 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

I just recently bought the Tashkent. I set it up with MAM1,ASM1,PM1,SGM2, and CSM1. I use the captain I have been using up the line so far (and on my Leningrad). Captain skills: BFT, EM, SI, DE, plus 4 points. I am close to the 15th point and had planned to go with CE. While this Captain set up seems be great with the Leni, I am not so sure its worthwhile for the Tash. I plan on taking this captain all the way up to T10.

So my first question is probably the simplest. Should I keep the concealment mod or switch to the other rudder shift?

Second question is more debatable. Is my current captain set up going to be beneficial to the Tash and on up the line? Or is it time to respec? Maybe forget a 5th level skill and take AFT+LS? What are y'alls thoughts?

Third, If I do pass on CE with this captain, should I start a new captain for the Leni? One that will take CE.

Keep in mind I plan on (eventually) going all the way up to the Khab.  Thank in advance and look forward to reading what y'all have to think on the subject.

Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

The question that always springs to mind is this: Is the benefit provided by CE worth it, given that you're STILL likely going to be outspotted by virtually every destroyer you're likely to face. 

Members
5,202 posts

I build my Tashkent, Udaloi, and Khab differently.

On the Latter two, I take BFT, LS, V, AFT, DE, and SE. However, on the Tashkent I take BFT, LS, EM, V, AFT, and DE. The combination of SGM3 and EM makes gunboating extremely comfortable. 

As for starting a new captain? I'd transfer a captain if you can. A RU DD without AFT and DE really struggles to be effective. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

I build my Tashkent, Udaloi, and Khab differently.

On the Latter two, I take BFT, LS, V, AFT, DE, and SE. However, on the Tashkent I take BFT, LS, EM, V, AFT, and DE. 

As for starting a new captain? I'd transfer a captain if you can. A RU DD without AFT and DE really struggles to be effective. 

Vigilance is not something I have not even considered. I used to use it a lot when I first started (and was always getting torped) But switched to SI on almost all my builds (i still get torped more than I'd like to admit).  I'm curious for your argument of torp detection over extra consumables, is it a noticing torps while in smoke issue? 
Edited by jford068

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

When I started Tashkent I found it extremely difficult to play until I went for full concealment. Bear in mind that I was not content to sit at long range and farm battleship damage, so I required enough concealment to stalk about. Mind you, there's no way I was going to give up AFT, so I didn't take DE.

Now that I'm on Udaloi I've set my commander up differently: BFT, LS, EM, TAE, SI, DE, AFT. (Of course TAE is a minor luxury which you can leave for last, making this essentially a 16-point build.) This was the first point in the line where I found DE to be worthwhile. The difference is that Tashkent sees enough T8 matches to benefit from a more flexible build, and there is much XP to be had in fighting with VMF/IJN DDs over caps and scoring 30k damage on destroyers alone. With each tier it seems more difficult to pull this off with a VMF destroyer, and Udaloi was the final point where I had to accept I could simply not rely on aggressive tactics to perform to the level I expect of myself.

I still use the concealment module, as Udaloi doesn't really need any extra agility. I can't speak for Khabarovsk, and though Tashkent could certainly have used more manoeuvrability that's more about turning radii and speed lost than it is about rudder alacrity.

Edited by Special_Kay

Members
5,202 posts

Vigilance is not something I have not even considered. I used to use it a lot when I first started (and was always getting torped) But switched to SI on almost all my builds (i still get torped more than I'd like to admit).  I'm curious for your argument of torp detection over extra consumables, is it a noticing torps while in smoke issue? 

I have three reasons, although they overlap a bit. 

1. While the steering gear mods help the maneuverability a TON, the ships still have a large turning circle and a considerable drift. I've died to torpedoes in my RU DDs more often than I should. As such, Vigilance is extremely useful when you have to knife fight DDs or when the IJN DDs start spamming their long range torps. 

2. If I'm at mid/max range engaging BBs and CA/CLs I'm seldom going to use my smoke or speed boost. If I'm close quarters with a DD, popping smoke is rarely useful because it's just a torpedo magnet. 

3. I use premium consumables so I already have more charges than I'm likely to use. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

I have three reasons, although they overlap a bit. 

1. While the steering gear mods help the maneuverability a TON, the ships still have a large turning circle and a considerable drift. I've died to torpedoes in my RU DDs more often than I should. As such, Vigilance is extremely useful when you have to knife fight DDs or when the IJN DDs start spamming their long range torps. 

2. If I'm at mid/max range engaging BBs and CA/CLs I'm seldom going to use my smoke or speed boost. If I'm close quarters with a DD, popping smoke is rarely useful because it's just a torpedo magnet. 

3. I use premium consumables so I already have more charges than I'm likely to use. 

I used to run Vigilance and I swapped it out for Superintendent when I respecced my Udaloi from AFT-CE to AFT-DE. I kind of regret it. Three isn't enough consumables for my premium ships, but Udaloi itself benefits more from Vig than SI for the reasons KWombat explains. It's just too difficult to dodge high-speed torpedoes when they catch you perpendicular at full speed, especially Fletcher torpedoes.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles
I decided to go with BFT, LS, EM, SI, AFT, and DE for the Tashkent.  Keeping SI and not taking V saved me 350 doubloons. Once I get the T9+ I will follow Kombat_W0MBAT's advice and take BFT, LS, V, AFT, DE, and SE.  Thanks for everyones input. 

Sign in to follow this