You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Warlord_Deadeye_Pete

Dynamic divisioning is coming. are you ready?

46 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
2,094 posts
19,478 battles

So one thing we were checking out with this last patch on the test server was dynamic divisioning.   It was a bit of a dissapointment there because the vast majority of the players were not prepared to use it properly, not because of any intrinsic flaw will the functions or it's ancilleries.  And that number one essential ancillery is the games built in VOIP voice comm.   Let go into how this works.

First off, divisioning itself

Instead of forming a division before the match starts you will be able to do it while the match loads at special divioning screen, or after the match starts in game.   Now there is only one reason really do use this feature and that's to form a tactical force of up to three players that use voice communications to coordinate their efforts in the match.  If you don't use the voice comm's the odds of your division performing well is slim and none.  

Are you aware the game has a built in VOIP voice chat system?  Yes yes it does.. and it only works for divisions! You can have it enabled but unless your in a division no one is going to hear you..  And if your going to division make sure it IS enabled or your just wasting your time.  Voice communications allow you to coordinate the actions of the players in your division... if nothing else it'll allow you to KNOW to all fire on the same target at the same time.  SOme rules of thumb to live by.. or die by if you don't follow them.

USE PUSH TO TALK... It's is the default setting. Use it.. do not use open mike, and there are reasons. I do not want to know that your mom is on you about cleaning your room or doing your homework or that your wife/girlfriend/;over/other wants sex right now!!  Open mike can pick up everything.  I've used voice comms in online gaming for over a decade and I can tell you some stories about embarrassing stuff heard over voice comms.   Yea open mic is a bad idea.. use push to talk.

DO NOT CHATTER..  If your talking, your not listening.  If your not listening, you may not hear that team mate wants you to turn left so they can fire torpedo's against the guys that are gonna kill you if you keep going the way you are.   Or maybe you'll miss the warning from a team mate to slow down and turn or your going to run into THIER torpedo's that have all ready been fired.   A lot of younger players are real chatter boxes and do not know when to shut up. There are older players that do the same thing and should know better but apparently do not.   Don't emo in voice chat.  It may feel all great and good and bad [edited]to tell your division mates in excruciating detail what your going to do to player X, but it's still NON ESENTIAL COMMUNICATION.. ie "chatter".  Save it for AFTER the match.  Voice comm's are a tool to communicate important critical information during a match.. You can stay in division after the match and chatter to your hearts delight   But in match it needs to be all business or it's a wasted tool.  (another reason to use push to talk..less likely to keep holding the button down default "v" key if you need your fingers to run the game...don't start bad habit's and you wont have to break them later)

Small but important note:   If your a chatter box in match, I personally will likely NOT want to division with you ever again, no matter how good a player you are.  I'm in match to win, socializing can be done after the match. Show consideration for the folks you game with, and it'll be returned.  Don't show it, and you'll be shunned.  None of us HAVE to play with each other, and no one can make us.  If your really bad at it, I'll put you on my ignore list and I wont hear you or see even typed messages from you ever again.  There are thousands of people playing this game.. I can afford to ignore a few of em permanatly.  SO can you.

Dynamic divisioning is a fantastic feature, but if your not going to use the games built in voice comm it's an absolute useless waste that provides no benefit to you or the people your divisioned with.  DIvisions that don't communicate are a waste of time for those involved.   You have the tools all ready in place so be sure to use them.

If your not prepared to use voice comms' then be sure to select in the match screens that you will refuse division invites in match.  Without the voice comm's enabled and useable the ability to dynamic division has zero benefit to you and the players you division with.

If anything I typed in this post seem harsh or "judgemental"  that's because it is.  There is no "seems"   I play SWTOR for my RP and socializing fun..  I play warships because it's a war game, and I play war games to win.  In match I am all serious. Most of us are.  Those that aren't don't do very well.  Dynamic divisioning and voice comm's are there as a tool so you can get a better performance out of your self.  Use them right and you will benefit.  Use them wrong and not only will you screw up you game, you'll screw up 2 other peoples game.  Do it to often and you won't be making many new friends.

Warlord sends

• Cool 2

[_XXX_]
Beta Testers
1,974 posts

Tanks has this option and I can't figure out how to accept it in game..after the match is over sure just not during the match. I get them all the time 

• Cool 1

[-OSG-]
Members
2,542 posts
16,589 battles

The experience on the PTS is so different form play here on the NA server. here everyone seems to be in "Twitch Shooter Game" rather than coming from a game where team work is how to play. On the .ru server for the test, mostplayers seem to just understand the concept of team play and communications.

If the Dynamic Div comes out in the next patch, wait for the game to load before creating a division, to see who spawns where, and then invite those that are close to you.

[-OSG-]
Members
2,542 posts
16,589 battles

Tanks has this option and I can't figure out how to accept it in game..after the match is over sure just not during the match. I get them all the time 

​The accept function in Warships is the K key.

Members
1,211 posts
4,330 battles

This was a pretty annoying feature during the public test with "divisioning requests" and status updates popping up in the chatbox the whole battle. 

Edited by Captain_Rownd

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

There needs to be a way to disable this feature to avoid spam...

Definitely this. While I'm probably not going to be all that popular, I imagine every YouTuber and forum celebrity is going to have to get a pecking bird to keep hitting their "No" key while they play.

Or division 24/7, I guess.

Members
808 posts
9,436 battles

I can see the uses though and since I like to run in divisions I will probably use it from time to time.  The voice chat works pretty good so this makes coordination better.  This will be a good was to test the waters with unknown players to see if you want them on your contact list though which is nice.  This way you can build it ups so you always have prospects to ru normal divisions as well.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Definitely this. While I'm probably not going to be all that popular, I imagine every YouTuber and forum celebrity is going to have to get a pecking bird to keep hitting their "No" key while they play.

Go into your settings, untick "voice chat".

Members
712 posts
5,239 battles

Honestly I find it hard to get used to divisions. It would have to be with people I know since I would know their playstyles. I tried grouping up with random people but I felt rather constrained since I didn't know what they would do or even worse that they would make decisions without talking it through. I just solo now random now for the most part.

Members
1,211 posts
4,330 battles

"enable voice chat" was not checked in my public test server account, but I still got the divisioning requests and other people's divisioning status updates in my chatbox

Edited by Captain_Rownd

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,161 battles

What the bloody hell good does it do to have this supposedly wonderful ability when there's been no clear explaination I've seen explaining how it even works. Press a key and it's turned on? HOW??? How do you even know if your computer is equiped for it? Does it work by osmosis? Do your speakers act as a mike in reverse? HOW???

My experience with TeamSpeak has been an unmitigated, time-wasting disaster; for reasons I cannot figure out the system continually cuts out on me, leaving me unable to communicate, even though I can hear others on the channel still speaking. as a result I have been left with little faith in the ability of such things to work; and some whatever system that is included in the game does not inspire a huge amount of confidence in me.

Because of all of the above, I've also been left with a sour taste in my mouth concerning divisions. Yes, divisions have been a very, VERY low percentage of my total games; but because of that small amount of games, my faith in the ability of divisions to be effective is also on the ragged edge of zero. People can say how great they are are they want, I've never personally seen such happen.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

the system continually cuts out on me, leaving me unable to communicate, even though I can hear others on the channel still speaking

You triggered my tech support reflex. Are you using a laptop mic or a dedicated one?

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,161 battles

You triggered my tech support reflex. Are you using a laptop mic or a dedicated one?

A gaming headset with attached mike. Can't recall the type, and I'm at work right now (on break of course,) and can't look.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,298 posts

voice communication sucks, someone yells: "help me", teammates: "where the fk are you?" :D

instead, create bubble chat on minimap=win

Edited by Happy668

[DDM_]
Banned
1,680 posts
10,129 battles

90% of the player base could care less about divisions....Glad you're excited though....:teethhappy:

And that same 90% posts threads in the forums on a regular basis whining and crying about the lack of team work. Imagine that.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,829 posts

There needs to be a way to disable this feature to avoid spam...

Very much this.

I usually only solo que. Think ive only met 1 person in game that ive grouped with and that was 20 ish games.   Other times i group with my brother but thats about it.

I don't want to ever be spammed with group invites each match..  its a great option.. but i would rather people ask before inviting randomly or group up after the game.

Edited by Spyde

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Unclicking voice chat has nothing to do with Dynamic division invites....

And if WG gives no way to block them, welcome to the new harassment exploit...

Don't know why anyone would be excited about random players you don't know trying to division with you....considering the average player in this game....

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

And that same 90% posts threads in the forums on a regular basis whining and crying about the lack of team work. Imagine that.

You do know that most of the players that play this game NEVER even look at the forums...right?:amazed:

This is a direct statement from Pigeon...

Edited by awiggin

[DDM_]
Banned
1,680 posts
10,129 battles

You do know that most of the players that play this game NEVER even look at the forums...right?:amazed:

This is a direct statement from Pigeon...

I also know that I see some of the same names in this thread that I've seen in other threads whining about the lack of team work in the game. So what's your point?

[-OSG-]
Members
2,542 posts
16,589 battles

..people.. .people.... so much salt...

​The way the PTS system worked is... when you are in a division, only those in the division hear the voice chat, and there are only 3 allowed per division. So... yeah... no worries about it being a major pita.

​I can also say that suggesting an opt out of divisioning check box might be an easy fix for some of you unsocial types, versus putting a comment here....

​btw. I had a great time listening to my two team mates as they went on in Russian during a 3 game session where we picked up as a Div, and then carried on for two more games together.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
6,121 posts
27,964 battles

A gaming headset with attached mike. Can't recall the type, and I'm at work right now (on break of course,) and can't look.

Check to see if Windows is playing nice with the mic. Right-click the speaker icon in your system tray, pick Recording devices. Talk into the mic and see if the bar moves.

If it does:

1. Does it also crap out in Skype or other microphone-using programs? If Skype works but TS doesn't, it's often because TS is set to use the wrong microphone (e.g. laptop mic even though you have a headset one). Change the settings in TS so they use the right mic.

If it moves only a tiny amount:

1. The signal from the mic is faint (having to do with legacy electrical impedence issues) and needs to be boosted -- double-click the recording device where you see the bar moving, go to the Levels tab, and jack the level up. If there's a +20dB boost option, try that first.

If it doesn't move at all:

1. Try the thing with the boost above. Maybe it's just moving so little it's less than a bar.
  2. I've had a lot of headset mics that have really crappy wiring on the microphone, so you may just be out of luck.

If there's no device with a bar:

1. Windows doesn't think you have a microphone. Fix drivers (or sometimes BIOS, if you disabled it there).

I'm sure there's way more info out there, but generally they'll tell you to start at that step so you'll have something to go on. Anyway, good luck.

• Cool 1

Members
74 posts
10,565 battles

Most of the people you are referring to are in 3 man divisions 98% of the time anyway.