Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DemonGod3

Montana or FDG?

9 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
Members
782 posts
10,034 battles

Trying to decide on whether or not to buy the FDG or Montana for the reduced price before it disappears... any suggestions?

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

I'd say Montana.  but its up to you. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

More savings when you buy Montana. Big Fred is IMO a more fun ship to play.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Trying to decide on whether or not to buy the FDG or Montana for the reduced price before it disappears... any suggestions?

I have owned both. Montana is a trial, and markedly inferior to the other T10 BBs.

FDG, on the other hand, is superior to T9s, especially once she is fully upgraded with the Hull B and the 420 mm guns. The stock guns are mediocre and the stock hull is a joke, but the upgraded/moduled 14 sec rudder shift time is brilliant. Sonar is great, super useful, and you can do either secondary or AA builds that make a powerful ship.

Sold my Monty and went back to Iowa like a lot of players, but am on FDG now and loving it. She's blast to play, can tank damage, and still fast and agile enough to get back out trouble.  

I wouldn't recommend Monty until WG un-nerfs it and makes it competitive with the other BBs at its level. Which won't happen, because that lovely BB had the misfortune to be built by the Americans. 

Edited by Taichunger

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,180 posts
30,938 battles

FDG is only the Best Tier IX BB in the game and leads to a competitive Tier X BB.

Montana has never been able to lay claim to being competitive in this server.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,677 posts
3,060 battles

Well that depends, if both ships were actually constructed the Montana would outclass the FDG hands down.

But in the game unfortunately, the FDG seems to have the upper hand. The Montana doesn't really excel in anything at tier 10, the armor seems to be worse than the Yamato's though in theory they are equal and the guns are very inaccurate (Which is upsetting because the Iowa's 16 in. guns had a reputation of being deadly accurate even at long ranges). I personally hope they buff the Montana because it just seems to be lacking.

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

Well that depends, if both ships were actually constructed the Montana would outclass the FDG hands down.

But in the game unfortunately, the FDG seems to have the upper hand. The Montana doesn't really excel in anything at tier 10, the armor seems to be worse than the Yamato's though in theory they are equal and the guns are very inaccurate (Which is upsetting because the Iowa's 16 in. guns had a reputation of being deadly accurate even at long ranges). I personally hope they buff the Montana because it just seems to be lacking.

This touches on a trust issue I have with WG. I have to believe the way WG chose to present Iowa and Montana in this game, which are widely agreed to be quote flawed, was intended to engineer a situation were fans/players of the USN line would be more likely to spend an small, if not outrageous, fortune on purchasing flags and doubloons to convert their accumulated XP  and free XP to get Missouri.

The whole thing doesn't quite clear the smell test. I've accumulated 1.5 million combined XP and converted XP.  I could acquire a few ships up multiple national tech trees, including Montana and Bismarck, this moment but I'm reluctant to make any moves because I have a nagging feeling about possibly being played by WG. 

Edited by lemekillmister

Members
3 posts
2,266 battles

I have 255K free XP. Currently enough to get the Montana. I also have 62k XP currently on the Iowa.

WG can you please give us an update on the MO and stop playing with everyone's emotions who want it. If it's going to be a stupid amount of free XP I'd rather get the Montana and save some credits in the game myself. 

At least let everyone no the status. With great respect Thunderbird__

[FOXDN]
Beta Testers
1,029 posts
5,029 battles

FDG has armor and secondaries but a 900m turning circle and a 32 second reload with her big guns. 

Montana has speed, range, maneuverability, more guns, of a smaller caliber but faster reloading and better AA. 

Both ships have alot going for them. The biggest question to solve this is, Do you like to get in close and brawl?

If yes, then the FDG does a MUCH better job of this, her armor and secondaries are suited to the role and her large main battery can deliver devastating damage if you can aim them correctly. 

If no, then I would say the Montana, her armor doesnt suit a close in role very well, almost every CA and BB she fights can easily punch through, and her guns turn slower then the FDGs. While she is by no means a sniper, if you keep enemy ships at arms length she can be VERY punishing. 

Set ups for the 2 ships are rather simple, In the FDGs case max out her secondaries.

For the Monty, it gets a bit more complicated, She can be a great AA platform. Maxing this will make her effectively a no fly zone for many planes. Or you could choose to increase her range to help with the above mentioned strategy. Above all though, grab the Concealment Module, Concealment Expert, And your choice of stealth based camo. Since her armor doesnt work the best, you'll be dependent on stealthing after you fire to keep you safe. 

Good luck with which ever one you choose though. ^^

Sign in to follow this