Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dechion

What is the incentive to grind out and play at tier ten?

49 comments in this topic

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,519 posts
5,337 battles

The title pretty much says it all. 

Why bother grinding out the higher tiers? Simply to be top tier all the time? The feeling of completion?

I'm not looking to start arguments, and this isn't a complaint or troll post. I'm really curious.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

The time which the matchmaker only has one direction to make matches: down, is tier 10...and endgame content (AKA clam wars) that will comes who-knows-when.

...but the very high cost to run (and now the service rate is fixed) is always a discouraging factor, and those do not lead anywhere either.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Its sort of the point of grinding the ships, unlock the next one and so on, so forth.

I haven't played a bad T10 yet....

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,723 posts
26,569 battles

- Liking the boat for historical / patriotic reasons

- The feeling of accomplishment, having finished a grind

- To catch them is my real quest ...

- Meh, I don't have anything better to do

- Wanting to be top tier, smooshing little baby boats as you drive along

- To be prepared for clan warts

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

TX boats have amazing performance, provided you can pay for all of the bells and whistles as well as provide a trained captain.

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
9,480 battles

Some of the tier 10 ships are a lot of fun, and can result in somke very rewarding games. The challenge is overcoming the turtle gameplay meta, but it's possible for a single division to force an engagement and for the whole game to become unstuck.

[CUTER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
415 posts
10,351 battles

They're actually enjoyable to play, which a bunch of people don't seem to understand/wish to think the opposite

Members
1,650 posts
1,608 battles

Some of the Tier X boats are very compelling (others less so) - if Yamato, for instance, is your favorite BB of all time, you definitely want to get there. There's also the distinct pleasure in always being top tier - finally the game deals you the hand you have earned every match. And, lastly, with the premium camo, it's finally playable. Fork over those 5,000 doubloons and you can derp around as you please in tier X and still earn respectable credits.

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

Why bother grinding out the higher tiers? Simply to be top tier all the time? The feeling of completion?

I don't see the game that way, just playing the game (at any tier) for the simple objective of.....enjoying a battle or two or more, depending on how long I want to play at any one time, picking a tier here and a tier there, whatever suits my mood at the time.

If a ship which appeals to me (and it's usually because of history) then I'll get to it one day, perhaps. But it won't be a deliberate effort to grind up the ladder just to get it.

Members
765 posts
2,849 battles

Reading through this post... it dawned on me.  WG should have:

Tier X Tuesdays!   -   Double credits from matches for top tier ships.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Reading through this post... it dawned on me.  WG should have:

Tier X Tuesdays!   -   Double credits from matches for top tier ships.

c2hbJDB.gif

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

The ships may be fun, but everyone knows the mentality of top tier play....:ohmy:

It's why I only have one tier 8, and don't play it much, tier 10 games are the ultimate in boring snipe meta, and aren't fun at all for the average player.

Beta Testers
801 posts
4,296 battles

The ships may be fun, but everyone knows the mentality of top tier play....:ohmy:

It's why I only have one tier 8, and don't play it much, tier 10 games are the ultimate in boring snipe meta, and aren't fun at all for the average player.

Not just at top tier, it's trickling down sadly. I did have a really good ''in your face'' game last night in my Montana. I pushed and my team, surprisingly followed into the breach. I died a glorious death but we got them gud! :red_button:

[DD214]
Members
816 posts
44,754 battles

Gearing and Shimakaze are my only T10 boats, and they handle and fight better than their lower tier siblings. Lower tiers with 15+ point captains can be fun, and deadly, but they don't have the same "juice" and firepower. I'll run the Benson and Fletcher and miss the extra reach. That said, most of my highest scores are in the Isokaze (with her 19 point skipper).

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles

Bragging rights, being able to pick when you're gonna be top tier, and knocking out those damage and XP missions.

Members
1,684 posts
20,010 battles

Lower tiers with 15+ point captains can be fun, and deadly, but they don't have the same "juice" and firepower.

I put my 15 point captain in my Tachibana. It was still useless.

Members
364 posts
7,614 battles

People complain about TX being campy and slow, but about 1/3-1/2 my games when I'm playing -2 tiers the games are just potato farms. Cruisers will go chasing after destroyers 3 squares from capture points. Battleships will go solo onto a cap to try and take it alone. DDs will sit behind the battleships, out of range of everything, until they launch torps that streak through all their allies.

High tier games have some goofs and mess-ups, but the level of play is generally much higher. They may be cautious but they aren't potato cautious for absolutely no reason. So when I'm in my T7, I prefer games where I'm matched with T9s instead of T5s. The level of play is a lot less random and wth-ing.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,138 battles

Tier 10 is the end game. 

It gets completed because it exists.

Sign in to follow this