You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Backbeard

1 Trick Pony Shimikaze Tactics

New Option  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Include the Option to add a gun and drop 5 torps?

• Yes and coffee is amazing!
    • No and you write too much.

10 comments in this topic

[AGO]
Members
47 posts
5,730 battles

Wow, I finally made it! The Shimikaze! and wow I am lost with questions. 

My upgrades are: Magazine Mod, Aiming systems mod, Torp Tube mod 3, Propulsion Mod, Steering Gears Mod 2, and Target Aquisition System Mod 1. 

If I messed up on my mods please blast me below but explain why I should change them =]

I have played 35 matches because I have to farm for the credits with other ships. Even with a decent game (around 80k damage)I still lose around 90k credits...HUH?!

1) Smoke, Damage Control, Engine Boost. Not much of a choice there lol....

2) 20km torps, 12km torps, or 8km torps? Not much of a choice there either 20km!!!

3)Um... AA?! wait..What?

4)INCREDIBLE RELOAD TIME FOR TORPS AND GUNS

5)The role that the Shimikaze plays in a fleet.

Here we go.

1)Is it crazy to look for any other mod to throw in besides Smoke or Engine Boost? I know it seems small but I have more fun with the Kagero's ability to reload faster if I want to for a match or two, especially if I'm not the only DD. It would definitely be overpowered in a torp thrower like the Shimikaze, but can we think outside the box a bit?

2)I only see 20km Torpedos in my future. There is no other choice even though there is a slight speed and damage increase, I can't even come close to the enemy fleet or I have been Punished incredibly. 

3)So....Why are there AA options for this ship? It seems like a waste in every sense of the option. 

4)Wow. I have actually refilled my coffee and come back to my desk and still haven't reloaded my torps lol. The guns are Atrocious. Slow rotation, slow reload You have no chance against anything 1V1 Ruunnnnn!! (I know I'm going to get blasted for the coffee comment but i'm retired Navy and Coffee lets me put up with you booters =])

5) So far in my 35 games, how I have been successful is to dip a toe into a cap and if it stops progressing green I run and run and run, then drop torps. After that. I look to screen my BB's and CA's or try to sneak for any advantage and spot other ships. Its a crappy way to waste time in between torp drops, but I expected a lot more from a Tier X end game ship. There are not usually CV's in the matches that I have played thank Poseidon, but I think if you want the Shimikaze to play a better role than to drop torpedos 20km out and get more engaged in battles then they might want to change some things to make it more viable for the fleet. 

I would be ranting if I didn't put my opinion on fixes for the ship I really do like. 

-Can we add an option to back off a couple torpedoes and add a deeper gun option? Drop 5 torps, add a turret? This would keep the same rate of fire fyi. I'm not re classing the whole ship but I like a bit of freedom. I also think this would make every other DD think a bit about engaging a shimi instead of seeing it as a delicious lunch that is a free kill for the taking. This would also lower the amount of people taking long shots with 15 torpedos and make the torpedo tree a viable option especially if you up the damage a bit more to balance the fact you have to get within secondary range of BB's to launch them. Then if you come across a DD you can hold your own a bit more. Then you would see Shimikazes actually take caps more. I would really like to keep this an option because if you team up in a division you could actually cover a couple different roles with slightly different load outs. Need space for this change? Drop the AA tree for it. Nobody should turn a DD into an AA boat in this game. 

Finally. If you believe that we are sticking as close to history as possible then the AA on a Bismark should have a rating of 5 considering the giant balls of a British pilot in a single torpedo carrying, cloth winged Swordfish bomber Bi-Plane from 1934 took out the Bismark. Keep it close. In the end, you have to make adjustments right? 

Keep your brass shined and remember, Once over dust, Twice over rust! 

I edited the rate of fire, its important. You still get to hold down your left mouse button Gearings. =P

Edited by Capt_Backbeard

Beta Testers
302 posts
2,583 battles

Shimakaze was a real ship that existed and adding or removing torpedo launchers or gun turrets would be unhistorical. It is an arcade game and many things are done for the sake of balance that aren't very realistic, adding or removing turrets would make none of the ships even close to their historical counterparts. I think many people enjoy the effort to keep the ships and their capabilities a reflection of the historical counterparts.

[AGO]
Members
47 posts
5,730 battles

Yes historical accuracy is important, and the Shimikaze was a one off i get it. Then there has to be something done to increase the firing rate or anything to make it more viable or it will still be a 1 trick torpedo boat. There really is no reason for a Shimikaze to attempt to take points with its current configuration. If you have any thing to offer beside the "historical importance" please put something down. 

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

20km torps are terrible, slower, easier to spot, less damage. Use the far superior 8 or12 km torps so you actually hit things. Speed and detection are far superior on those, damage is better too. TA on the 12km is good too, I love the 8km ones personally. IIRC 8km torps reload faster too.

Torp boats, especially those with 610 mm torps have been horrendously nerfed. 

Stay just out of detection range from BBs and Cruisers, don't engage DDs that aren't already damaged.

Pay attention to who has radar and sonar.

Plan your drops and escapes meticulously. Dropping unseen from 6-7km is your best bet to actually do anything.

[DD214]
Members
816 posts
44,765 battles

Stay hidden, watch how close you get to radar boats, watch for those potatoes who clump together can camp....then work on adding to you list of double-strikes with a wall of torps and watch them move. :) 

[AGO]
Members
47 posts
5,730 battles

I'll eat my words. Thanks for the advice gents. Its a completely different perspective on playing in Tier X. The 8km is a fun way to go! Thanks again for the help.

8km.jpg

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

Get rid of target acquisition mod and take concealment mod instead. Make sure your captain has at least 15pts and get captains concealment dropping detection down to 5.9km. Get the 8km torps or the 12km ones are viable also. I use the 8km. Ditch the 20km torps.

Members
309 posts
5,376 battles

In another thread:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/95156-how-to-kagero/page__st__40

qMDk7Ad.png

EjcMJSO.png

Now there is a choice to be made, like you say, either the "cheap" F3, which are the 12km with TA, or the F3. I must admit I never dared using the F3 for a simple reason: you're not a Kagero anymore. The key characteristic of the Kagero is that you are THE STEALTHIEST ship in the game, 5.4km, you can never be spotted BEFORE you yourself spot someone, it is this very thing that allow you to use the F3 torp very, very effectively. Now you are in the shima, you have a 5.9km range, and many ships are stealthier than you are in T8 and T9. This is why, in my opinion, you need the safety of 9.6km torps. Now I'm not saying the F3 torps are unusable, I'm just saying they are making less sense. Now like you say, they force you to respec your captain, I hesitated a lot before doing that, but in the end it's one of the choice I made in this game that I regret the least.

Concerning captain skills: LS is still mandatory, the torpedo reload you see in my captain is because it's a 17 points captain, but you can do without. I still use SE for what I spoke about earlier: your HP is going to dictate what target is available for your guns. You'll also see that I use the MBM2 (turret turning speed), well, the two other modules are useless (you are already very accurate) and your turret speed are horrible. This is why you might want to take the expert marksman skill if ever you reach 17 points on your captain. It boils down to personal preference. I simply use torps more often than I use guns, so here's my choice.

Concerning your play style, these 0.5km additionnal detection range when compared to the Kagero are definitely going to change your play style. It did change mine. If you are facing more than 2 USN or RU DDs, I strongly advice against capping early, DO NOT contest a point that is already contested by a RU or USN DD. You'll lose this fight unless you are quite lucky. I try to stay at 8km range and sail parallel to my target and try to keep this range. When I see a window of opportunity, I slow down up until 6 to 7 km range, and then I release my fish, if I can, I'll shoot only two salvo, keeping a third in case something I didn't anticipate happens. 

I use my guns the way I described it in the first paragraph, or when my target has been torped and flooded and he repaired, if I'm not his only target available and he's busy doing something else, I'll shoot him and start a fire or two. Then I'll disappear again, rince and repeat. The shima REALLY shines in the middle to late game, not so much in the early game. That's a real change from the Kagero.

Hope this wall of text will help ya ! :D

Members
3,530 posts
14,291 battles

I'll eat my words. Thanks for the advice gents. Its a completely different perspective on playing in Tier X. The 8km is a fun way to go! Thanks again for the help.

Welcome to the dark side.  Enjoy the salt.