Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

The Game Mechanic: HE secondaries for the win? Really?

Secondaries  

33 members have voted

1. 1. AP v.s. HE secondaries: which is more optimal?

• HE secondaries
    • AP secondaries
    • IDK
    • I don't know because I've never owned a ship with half-way decent secondaries.

9 comments in this topic

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

I'm not sure which ammunition for Secondaries is the better choice, but for raw alpha damage, AP secondaries are very powerful.

I think classification of BBs by secondary loadout should go like this

KMS BBs secondaries: Strongest against: DDs, CVs,(rapid fire HE is very good at setting fires, and at knocking out other important pieces of a CV, and the AP, at least at lower tiers, can citadel a CV if it hits in the right place.) CL/CAs, other BBs(in order from strongest against to weakest against referring to secondaries)

IJN BB secondaries: Strongest against: CL/CAs, BBs, CVs, DDs(except with some IJN BBs like Kongo with twin-mount 127 mm guns)

USN BB secondaries: Strongest against: DDs, BBs, CVs, CL/CAs(due to them not having any AP secondaries after the A hull New York if I do recall.)

What do you think? Is there any merit to AP secondaries, or are you still HE secondaries for the win?

Comment, and as always, if you like this post, do remember to hit that upvote button!

Edited by legoboy0401

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

If you are close enough to a CV for your 2nds to fire you have probably already won.

A note on HE being preferable: it sets fires, AP 2nds are mostly worthless because they simply deal no damage.

Oddly enough the AP comes in handy most against DDs for its pure damage (usually 33s)

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

Against weakly armored targets, AP secondaries are very devastating. Another thing, if you have really slow AP secondary shells, you can get plunging fire and get citadel hits that way. They won't do a lot of damage per citadel hit, but there will be a lot of them. Besides, AP secondaries are better at knocking out engines than HE secondaries.

[LEWDS]
Alpha Tester
143 posts

Ahahahah this reminds me of one game where a Phoenix charged a KMS BB T4 or 5 to torp and omg he got obliterated from 3/4 heath to nothing by its secondary's the guy went hysterical after that ahahahahaha     

[-KIA-]
Members
5,244 posts
16,371 battles

I want to say HE secondaries are overpowered, but then I realized that it's basically the only way to do guaranteed damage.  Unless the AP is British AP, it cries every time it doesn't hit something broadside and shatters/bounces.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[KTKM]
Beta Testers
4,633 posts
4,076 battles

Fires are WAY more useful considering there are only a handful of ships that can actually get penned by the AP, let alone citadelled.

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

I want to say HE secondaries are overpowered, but then I realized that it's basically the only way to do guaranteed damage.  Unless the AP is British AP, it cries every time it doesn't hit something broadside and shatters/bounces.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no. Try Friedrich der Große. Her 105 mm secondaries guns are only useful for starting fires, because at her tier, nearly everything can shatter AP OR HE shells from 105 mm guns for zip damage. Not that 105 mm secondaries use AP, but, still...

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

Fires are WAY more useful considering there are only a handful of ships that can actually get penned by the AP, let alone citadelled.

Let me see, ah, all VMF Cruisers but Moskva(stronk Russian pseudo-BattleCruiser armor :trollface:) ALL RN Cruisers currently released, a few lower tier and higher tier USN Cruisers,(Atlanta and Flint come to mind, if you can find them)  ALL IJN Cruisers but Zao, and most, if not all, currently released KMS Cruisers.

Wow, that's not very many ships, is it? :trollface:

Actually, there are a good number of ships that can be Penned, and a slightly smaller number that can be citadeled by 6 inch Secondary AP.

The fact is, there are a lot of ships in this game that can be citadeled by 6 inch AP.

Edited by legoboy0401

[GOAT]
Beta Testers
1,523 posts
7,150 battles

The fact is, there are a lot of ships in this game that can be citadeled by 6 inch AP.

Ships that are usually reluctant to drive broadside to a BB inside secondary range unless they are launching torpedoes already...

Sign in to follow this