Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Brutaka1

DD Constant Detonation

53 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
276 posts
3,381 battles

Has anyone been having a constant detonation with any DD? It's been happening a LOT more recently. One HE round and you're practically dead.

[_AFW_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
551 posts
8,359 battles

Yes, certain ships are very vulnerable to detonations, particularly low to mid tier destroyers of all nations, and the high tier IJN destroyers. Mid tier cruisers tend to detonate from HE hits a lot. High tier BBs tend to detonate from torpedoes landing outside the torpedo belt in front or behind the magazines.

Also remember that HE hits to the rear and aft of the magazines tend to detonate disproportionately because they are just past the belt armor and instead damage through the frontal bulkhead.

BB caliber HE shells can detonate from near misses and from hitting your bow and stern due to their large splash radius.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

Has anyone been having a constant detonation with any DD? It's been happening a LOT more recently. One HE round and you're practically dead.

Umm . If you are Detonated you die ; your HP is totally gone and so is your ship . So I do not think you are actually talking about Detonation if you have HP left after being hit .
  • Cool 1

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,143 battles

Umm . If you are Detonated you die ; your HP is totally gone and so is your ship . So I do not think you are actually talking about Detonation if you have HP left after being hit .

He has a good point. If you are surviving then you're getting penetrated by an HE/AP shell and it's getting a large amount of damage off. If you die and see a little explosion where the method of destruction is then you were detonated.

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Nothing I can say, other than "Run the detonation flag if you're in a det-vulnerable ship."  You get 10 every time you go up in smoke, so you're pretty much guaranteed not to have it happen too frequently.

• Cool 1

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Totally unrealistic. Over half of all detonations in real life were battleships; they should be the ones constantly detonating.

• Cool 1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Totally unrealistic. Over half of all detonations in real life were battleships; they should be the ones constantly detonating.

Agreed. Let's stop the "selective realism". 

Beta Testers
276 posts
3,381 battles

He has a good point. If you are surviving then you're getting penetrated by an HE/AP shell and it's getting a large amount of damage off. If you die and see a little explosion where the method of destruction is then you were detonated.

I am dying.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

So far I don't get detonated that often lately.

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

I have seen a Yamato detonate so it's not all DD's all the time. Plenty of cruisers also. It's part of the game. Keep rolling those container dice--I recently got 250 detonation flags; very nice indeed.

[-GPS-]
Beta Testers
696 posts
5,366 battles

DDs are the most susceptible to detonations due to the torpedo tubes. They are essentially an unarmored magazine sitting on the deck of your ship, not that there is much armor covering anything else either. 

Whenever you get your tubes damaged or destroyed, consider yourself lucky you didnt detonate right then, but you do get flags for it. Its been very rare for me to be detonated in anything other than DDs, so I always run the flags on only those ships.

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,102 battles

I had 2 in 2 days last week.  Then my next Supercontainer contained 250 anti-detonation flags.

I took the hint.

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,048 posts
11,680 battles

But destroyers did detonate.

Then a torpedo in her fantail put Laffey out of action. As the order to abandon ship was passed, a violent explosion ripped the destroyer apart and she sank immediately

Members
199 posts
2,045 battles

I have seen a Yamato detonate so it's not all DD's all the time. Plenty of cruisers also. It's part of the game. Keep rolling those container dice--I recently got 250 detonation flags; very nice indeed.

​How salty was that Yamato player?  Just had his 90k health ship pop like a bubble.

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,574 battles

Even saw a Lex Detonate a DD yesterday.

Fun and engaging game mechanic!

Thing is DDs get most of the dets, from my gameplay. Last BB to Detonate was a Tirpitz that took a torp on the nose. Think I saw an IJN CA Detonate yesterday during my spree.

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

​How salty was that Yamato player?  Just had his 90k health ship pop like a bubble.

He was very salty. He popped up around an island in front of me, and I knew I was screwed(playing a cruiser); got ready to fire before going kaboom when his entire hp pool vanished. Even I couldn't believe it.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

LOL - multi-day battles here we come....

You obviously missed my point. 

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

You obviously missed my point. 

Ah. so you want -selective- realism where it stands to benefit you and the classes you play... gotcha. If realism favours someone else, we'll that's just nonsense, right?

Realism would mean we lock down  MM to 1 BB and 1 CV per side, 6 + Destroyers every match because realistically that's how it was done. 

Ultimately, if you long for realism join your countries Navy, and make sure to let us know when they make you captain. 

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Ah. so you want -selective- realism where it stands to benefit you and the classes you play... gotcha. If realism favours someone else, we'll that's just nonsense, right?

Realism would mean we lock down  MM to 1 BB and 1 CV per side, 6 + Destroyers every match because realistically that's how it was done. 

Ultimately, if you long for realism join your countries Navy, and make sure to let us know when they make you captain. 

I thought i made it clear that i was AGAINST selective realism. 

My original post: "Agreed. Let's stop the "selective realism".  "

Edited by Aduial

Members
909 posts

You've been detonated twice in 324 games. Detonation = instant death. DDs don't have much armor, and aren't ships to YOLO in. Use smoke and stealth more.

Members
6,889 posts
14,871 battles

I thought i made it clear that i was AGAINST selective realism. 

My original post: "Agreed. Let's stop the "selective realism".  "

Then we are back to multi-day battles and hit % in the single digits.  You DO want selective realism.  If you want realism it will be a VERY boring game and the game would die VERY quickly.  Canadatron understood my point perfectly.

Looking at previous posts I will repeat 2 simple things. 

1.  This has nothing to do with detonation.

2.  2 detonations in over 300 games is VERY low...

Edited by CylonRed

Sign in to follow this