Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CybrSlydr

Can't decide on Scharnhorst captains kills

22 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

I'm having one helluva time figuring out which I want to use.

I'd been seeing a lot of CVs in tier 7 and 8, so for my 4th skill I picked up Manual AA.  Since then, I've not really seen many or had much come at me.

I've currently got 4 points to use and I'm about half-way to my fifth.  I've got BFT, TAE, SI and MFAA.

It'll cost 250gold to respec, so that's not much of a problem - but I just cannot decide if the boost by switching MFAA to AFT and using that fifth point for Manual Secondaries is worth it or not.  Or do I just use the 4 points I currently have and pick up AFT? 

Man, decisions, decisions!  Help me forums, you're my only hope!

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

I am a fan of secondary builds, especially German BB's with their fast firing, fire starting secondaries. If you are going to use the captain for Bismarck then I would highly suggest going full secondary build. 10km range secondaries are awesome.

Alpha Tester
1,435 posts
22,688 battles

I'm not really sure... Manual secondaries I probably wouldn't go with. Use more of the skill at level 4 and bellow. Also I believe AFT is a lot better then the Manual AA, as it increases the range of both AA and secondary guns.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

I'm contractually obligated to replay all astf videos when they're reposted, thanks.

Really though, Shineyhorse can work with almost anything that fits your style.  I'm not personally a fan of manual AA on her, but if you hate airplanes really there are worse things to take.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

I don't have a captain that stays in the Scharnhorst, I use her as a trainer. Currently my 15pt build is BFT,EM,SI,AFT, and Manual 2nds. While that build is for my Bismark/Freddy Captains I think it works well for the Scharn too. I might not use the manual 2nds for the fifth point on a captain exclusively for the Scharn.

Edited by jford068

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

See, I'm the weirdo - I don't move captains.  The Captain that will eventually get the Bismarck is the one in my Bayern.  I typically sell the ship when I research the next and just move the captain with it. 

Edited by CybrSlydr

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Has anyone done the math on what the maximized dmg output of the various builds are?

Beta Testers
1,198 posts
2,732 battles

Concealment expert is answer honestly your AA is not that good to really deter T7 and higher CVs. Also your secondaries are just to few to really warrant manual skill.

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

BoS - EM - Vig - AFT - Manual Secondaries - BFT.

Spend remaining two points on whatever (torp reload maybe, my Scharn gets to use the same launcher twice in the same brawl quite a few times it seems).

Sure, you can get concealment or manual AA. Either one can be justified (though manual AA less so in my opinion, given how few carriers there currently are). But a purpose-built secondary death machine is way more fun.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Spend remaining two points on whatever (torp reload maybe, my Scharn gets to use the same launcher twice in the same brawl quite a few times it seems).

Sure, you can get concealment or manual AA. Either one can be justified (though manual AA less so in my opinion, given how few carriers there currently are). But a purpose-built secondary death machine is way more fun.

That was my initial thought as well when I started grinding this ship, but as noted above - I've read the secondaries aren't really stronk enough to warrant a focus on them. 

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

Is this a captain specifically for the Scharnhorst? 

If it is then you can go with whatever works for you. The Scharn is such a versatile ship that Secondaries, AA or Concealment all work well on her. I personally just put my Bismarck captain with Manual Secondaries on my Scharn whenever I play her. Though currently I am leveling up my Hipper captain.

Concealment expert is answer honestly your AA is not that good to really deter T7 and higher CVs. Also your secondaries are just to few to really warrant manual skill.

Scharn has the same secondary broadside as the Bismarck.

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

If it is then you can go with whatever works for you. The Scharn is such a versatile ship that Secondaries, AA or Concealment all work well on her. I personally just put my Bismarck captain with Manual Secondaries on my Scharn whenever I play her. Though currently I am leveling up my Hipper captain.

Yes, this Captain is going to stay with the ship - he will not be moved.

[WGAN]
Beta Testers
77 posts
21,793 battles

I love the Scharney, I currently run a 14 point captain with L1- Expert loader and BFT, L2- Expert Marksman L3- Superintendent, L4- AFT with 3 available points. Upgrades are Main Arm Mod 1, Aiming Systems Mod 1, Propulsion Mod 1, and Steering Gears Mod 2.

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

Yes, this Captain is going to stay with the ship - he will not be moved.

Whichever way you choose to go, I'd recommend AFT always. It buffs your secondaries and AA range in one go. After that, I would play your Scharn and just find out what you feel you are lacking the most. If you're constantly on the wrong end of CVs, go back and get Manual AA. If you are taking massive damage from range on a consistent basis, grab Concealment Expert. If you want to be even more lethal in CQB and and absolute nightmare to DDs, get Manual Secondaries. 

[-K--]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,171 posts
10,840 battles

I've read the secondaries aren't really stronk enough to warrant a focus on them. 

Depends on how you intend on using the ship. If you brawl a lot (which I find super fun in Scharnhorst), you'll get your money's worth with the secondary build -- I regularly deal 10-15k damage with my secondaries in Scharnhorst, sometimes 20+ (and that's just alpha, not counting fires).

Now, you want to mostly play her at upper mid-range, blinking in and out of salvos with CE? Okay, I guess, but there are plenty of better ships for that role. Scharn has fast reload (less invisibility between salvos!), iffy accuracy, and generally weak AP/HE shells. You need to be close to the enemy to make the high RoF and traverse, secondaries, torpedoes, and your troll armor work best.

Beta Testers
1,198 posts
2,732 battles

Scharn doesn't not have as many secondaries as the bismarck that I can assure you without looking it.

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

Scharn doesn't not have as many secondaries as the bismarck that I can assure you without looking it.

It has one less twin 105, however it is centreline mounted, meaning it can fire either side. I.e both the Bismarck and Scharn have 8x 105s and 6x 150s secondary broadside.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
2,094 posts
2,152 battles

Depends on how you intend on using the ship. If you brawl a lot (which I find super fun in Scharnhorst), you'll get your money's worth with the secondary build -- I regularly deal 10-15k damage with my secondaries in Scharnhorst, sometimes 20+ (and that's just alpha, not counting fires).

Now, you want to mostly play her at upper mid-range, blinking in and out of salvos with CE? Okay, I guess, but there are plenty of better ships for that role. Scharn has fast reload (less invisibility between salvos!), iffy accuracy, and generally weak AP/HE shells. You need to be close to the enemy to make the high RoF and traverse, secondaries, torpedoes, and your troll armor work best.

I'm a brawler at heart.  I'm just concerned that swapping out the Aiming Systems Mod 1 for the secondaries module is going to significantly hamper the already iffy accuracy of the main battery.

And if I'm not going to use the secondaries module, why bother with secondaries at all?

I guess if I focus on brawling and getting in close that my main battery accuracy is relatively irrelevant, eh?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,312 posts
18,896 battles

I'm with this, with sec mod I reach out to 7.6km - this helps encourage me to get within 7.6km where the ship really shines, as well as being ok for damage output - don't expect too much from secondaries though, they're more psychological than damaging.

Members
364 posts
7,614 battles

I'm the only person who likes Jack of All Trades. The 15% cooldown is great for my balls-out YOLOing ways.

[AWP]
Beta Testers
542 posts
4,234 battles

dont worry OP the capt skill tree is getting compacted to a 4 tier maximum with 4 categories and 2 choices in each category at each tier level.

so the new skills coming along will probably help out!

Sign in to follow this