Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DropAThirdOne

what to expect from teir7 mahan

13 comments in this topic

[NO2BB]
Privateers
90 posts
7,096 battles

Ok so I am having fun on the Teir6, and what can i expect out of the mahan!? and for all USN dds is the C hull worth it for AA  to lose 1 gun? 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,723 posts
26,569 battles

C-hull is IMO never worth it on a USN DD, AA at the expense of a gun in the current meta just doesn't pay.

• Cool 2

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Mahan and farragut play very similarly. Mahan gets slightly better torps and more HP to account for the higher tier. It's downside is its even worse concealment. Try and get CE if you can.

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Depends, from what I've seen the NO is a big improvement on the Pensecola, -. AS far as i'm concerned the Mahan is a nerfed Farragut. It's slower, bigger detection radius, and has shorter ranged guns , in return you get a third torp launcher, 

The Combination of slower speed. larger detection radius, and slightly less gun range (well about 1km  less iirc) is annoying me. 

I loved the Farragut and couldn't wait to progress up the US DD tree, but the Mahan is just not working for me. 

- I don't have a 15 point Captain in it though, so entirely possible that would make a big difference in how it plays.

[-BUI-]
Members
112 posts
9,313 battles

I did poorly w/ Farragut and well with Mahan. It seems some do well w/ one or the other, but not both.

[-K_P-]
Members
545 posts
3,883 battles

I did pretty well with my Farragut, and am enjoying the Mahan.

Members
522 posts

I spent yesterday grinding to it and had about 10 games in a Mahan. Hated it. The slower rudder shift and slower speed got me killed a bunch of times. I ended up putting the captain back in Farragut and selling it. I'm now done with the US DDs over tier 6.

That said ​I mostly play Russian DDs, and actually did quite well in the Mahan, but it's not as much fun for me and dosen;t make as many credits for me as a tier 6 Farragut. 

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Mahan and farragut play very similarly. Mahan gets slightly better torps and more HP to account for the higher tier. It's downside is its even worse concealment. Try and get CE if you can.

You also have less range, so you can't spam HE as well as a Farragut. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,318 battles

Neither of these DD's is special, but both are playable. Mahan will prepare you for the size increase USN DD's get at higher tiers, though you do get that third torp launcher cross-section which has saved my bacon many many times. Farragut suffers from not being able to sling torps like a Nicholas, so Mahan will be a pleasant surprise when you get used to the third launcher. Both ships have the same guns you have had since Nicholas.

If you can learn to gunboat the Mahan, you're going to love life bigtime when you get the Benson, and think you've died and gone to heaven when you reach the Fletcher. The USN DD line gets lots better.

Members
199 posts
2,045 battles

The Mahan is one of, if not the, worst ships to play stock.  Like stock Fuso levels of bad (and I got both on the same day after selling their respective predecessors).  Once you get her fully kitted out with all the modules and modifications she gets better.  The only downsides to her are her speed, which is very low for a DD, and her lack of gun range.  Beyond that she is the first USN DD to stealth torp, and her gun arraignment is better than the Farragut, with three guns mounted facing front instead of two. 

I've found that the best advantage you can have is a fast rudder and a fresh charge of smoke and boost.  Always mount a sm flag if you have them, it brings your speed to a decent level.  I don't know how others have set their boats up, but I have the rudder mod on her and she can fishtail like a dream.  Her long range torps are better for area denial, and should really only be used as such.  A wide spread followed by a narrow spread works best.  Don't focus on the torps, they are really just icing on a cake, not the end all be all.  The guns are the same 127 mm guns from the 2 two ships before, but with less range.  Never mount the C hull, you lose the third forward facing gun, which is more worth while than you think.  if you can run a demo expert (9% fire chance instead of 6%) or a survival expert (16,900 HP over 14,100), or both if you can manage.  You then can act like a mini Atlanta, setting fires within a set range and trashing any other DDs that try and fight you. 

Sign in to follow this