You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Feminist

How can we make Yamato competitive again?

191 comments in this topic

Members
595 posts

Simply put, it's the worst tier 10 BB in the game right now.

The problem with Yamato is that it does nothing well. The only good things it has are the gun penetration and torpedo protection. Even then it's guns are not that much better than Montana and GK's guns. In terms of pure firepower and damage potential, GK and Montana actually has the Yamato beat.

It's armor is only tanky against AP. Against HE it burns down like any battleship. It's incredibly vulnerable to not only cruisers and dive bombers, but even BB HE spam. This is exacerbated by the fact that it has the worst damage control of all tier 10 battleships. Its concealment is terribad and EVERYONE focuses fire at it. Even with full concealment build it still gets detected at 14km or so. The AA sucks and combined with bad rudder shift, it's easy meat for CVs. Manual AA doesn't improve it much to make a difference. 

Right now Yamato is a heap of mediocrity and has nothing going for it compared to the other tier 10 BBs. It only has decent server stats because of it's somewhat lower skill floor compared to Montana and GK.

As a starting point, I propose the following buffs:

1. Make the 46cm guns part of the AA suite, as they were historically. This will help alleviate the bad AA and make manual AA worthwhile.

2. Improve it's rudder shift and turning circle to improve tactical flexibility and reduce vulnerability to torpedoes. 

3. Give back it's heal pot so it can actually tank damage.

Edited by SmashPatriarchy

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Yamato wins more, does more damage and survives more than the other T10 battleships on NA server. On EU the GK and Yamato are just about equal. On RU the Yamat is the middle performing one. On every server Montana lags behind. Yamato isn't the one that needs a buff.

• Cool 21

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

Not takin the bait. No sympathy for the best battleship in the game sorry.

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Right now Yamato is a heap of mediocrity and has nothing going for it compared to the other tier 10 BBs. As a starting point, I propose the following buffs:

1. Make the 46cm guns part of the AA suite, as they were historically. This will help alleviate the bad AA and make manual AA worthwhile.

2. Improve it's rudder shift and turning circle to improve tactical flexibility and reduce vulnerability to torpedoes. 

3. Give back it's heal pot so it can actually tank damage.

1: The Type 3 shell was awful and really should only be considered as a separate cooldown/consumable, not stock AA. I actually wrote up how it could work too.

2: A rudder shift improvement would be nice. It's actually far less agile in this game than it was in reality. But if this is adjusted, it should be adjusted for everyone, not just Yamato.

3: The heal is fine actually.

When I am focused I start designating targets to get my team to focus them down, prioritizing destroyers due to torpedoes and cruisers due to their faster reload and HE spam.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo
  • Cool 1

Members
595 posts

1: The Type 3 shell was awful and really should only be considered as a separate cooldown/consumable, not stock AA. I actually wrote up how it could work too.

2: A rudder shift improvement would be nice. It's actually far less agile in this game than it was in reality. But if this is adjusted, it should be adjusted for everyone, not just Yamato.

3: The heal is fine actually.

When I am focused I start designating targets to get my team to focus them down, prioritizing destroyers due to torpedoes and cruisers due to their faster reload and HE spam.

The 2.5cm AA guns were awful too IRL, didn't stop WG from making them part of the stock AA.

Yamato wins more, does more damage and survives more than the other T10 battleships on NA server. On EU the GK and Yamato are just about equal. On RU the Yamat is the middle performing one. On every server Montana lags behind. Yamato isn't the one that needs a buff.

Because Yamato has a lower skill floor. The other two are better but are also less forgiving for the average pub.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

The 2.5cm AA guns were awful too IRL, didn't stop WG from making them part of the stock AA.

Because Yamato has a lower skill floor. The other two are better but are also less forgiving for the average pub.

the 25mm guns were actual aa batteries, it's a little different from special ammunition for the 46cm main battery.

It's best used as an anti-air cooldown similar to "shooting" a strafe cone at incoming aircraft some distance away, not as part of the regular AA.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

I fail to see the problem. People of every skill level play Yamato, and Yamato performs far better on average than Montana and generally on par with GK.

• Cool 5

Members
595 posts

the 25mm guns were actual aa batteries, it's a little different from special ammunition for the 46cm main battery.

It's best used as an anti-air cooldown similar to "shooting" a strafe cone at incoming aircraft some distance away, not as part of the regular AA.

The 46cm guns were dual purpose. There's plenty of other ships in game that already have DP main battery guns.

Members
595 posts

I fail to see the problem. People of every skill level play Yamato, and Yamato performs far better on average than Montana and generally on par with GK.

Hence why I didn't say Yamato is underpowered, just uncompetitive. It's not bad, just has no good things going for it.

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

Hence why I didn't say Yamato is underpowered, just uncompetitive. It's not bad, just has no good things going for it.

​Competitive for the #1 slot means it's competitive. It's not sucking the bottom and turds off the floor like Montana, has since launch. No, no buffs for you.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Montana and its silly 29mm midsection armor that WG likes to claim is "balanced"

Ya, okay, if that's balanced, then why does GK get 50mm deck and way more armor all around when it has the same turret layout?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Uncompetitive? In what universe is 'globally competing on even terms for the #1 spot, if it doesn't hold it already' uncompetitive?

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

Uncompetitive? In what universe is 'globally competing on even terms for the #1 spot, if it doesn't hold it already' uncompetitive?

​Because other ships hurt him, obviously. IT SHOOTS MAGICAL KATANA SHELLS. GREATEST WEAPON EVARRRRR and we should all just accept the inevitable and die to it, automatically.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

The 46cm guns were dual purpose. There's plenty of other ships in game that already have DP main battery guns.

MmuyzAc.gif
  • Cool 2

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

The Yamato is no longer clearly out performing its peers so obviously it now requires a buff. - the op

• Cool 1

Members
595 posts

As it stands there is not much Yamato can do that Montana or GK can't do better.

[WFR]
Members
622 posts

As it stands there is not much Yamato can do that Montana or GK can't do better.

Aside from things like lolpenning a high tier battleships through the bow or surviving torpedo strikes that would put a GK or Montana on the bottom?
Edited by Molonious