You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
behindurback

high tier cruisers, the secret to better survival. wg HATES this!!

54 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
447 posts
3,946 battles

i been playing a lot of high tier cruisers and after some difficulty with survivalbility i have finally reached enlightment

see DDs and cruisers have much lower survivalbility vs BBs and thats not because of their low HP and low armor, its all due to player PLAYSTYLE

so after watching countless BB players I have finally discovered their tricks to high survivalbility and i want to share the tricks with you

1. first 5 min of the game:  use 1/4 speed ONLY.  NEVER EVER GO FASTER THAN 1/4 SPEED, better yet, just go afk for the first 3 min.  
  2. for the 5 to 10 min of the game:  now that some ships have died off and its a bit safer, you can finally increase your speed to 1/2
  3. for the last 10 min of the game, if the game is still going that is:   if you see an enemy approaching you, TURN AWAY IMMEDIATELY.  now this is the ONLY situation where you can use FULL speed of your ship to run away and kite the enemy
  4. NEVER EVER let an enemy within 15km of you (of course you use the range mod)

again to summarize, when at the beginning of the battle and you are heading towards the enemy, NEVER EVER go faster than 1/4 speed

however if you see ANY ENEMY and they have the slightest intention of wanting to fire on you, IMMEDIATELY TURN AWAY and now this is where the full speed of your ship comes into play

after dying early countless times trying to contest cap and support DDs, and coutless hours of studying and researching BB players,  i hope my general guide will help improve the survivalbility of my fellow high tier cruiser captains

Edited by behindurback
  • Cool 5

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,408 battles

Well thanks for this but I will add that this will work well in any tier battle. Just take it easy to start then run run run at the 1st sight of red. Of course if you want to win then perhaps a different approach is in order.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

Welcome to something that many found out a long time ago. Though I still don't do it for the sheer fact of you give up the initiative to the other side and that is a BAD thing.  Moving up slowly might make you live longer, but you're not going to get much done by doing it. 

Better idea, move up smartly where there is cover and move methodically to lower your exposure.

[CONQR]
Members
59 posts
12,001 battles

Why you want to survive?? I only want to win.

Getting solo warrior is not very common for me.

Members
2,829 posts
6,653 battles

I just go full speed and rely on my DD training to pull me out of a pinch...

This advice though...hmm...we'll lose a few DD's but what do I care.  At least I won't die at the beginning.

I mean, my current strategy is really hit or miss.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

Steps 1 and 2 (though I maneuver around safe areas at full speed rather than being at halfspeed because some cruisers have terribad acceleration) are actually what I do in the maps Ocean, Okinawa (if spawn close to C) and Atlantic. In most other maps though, being close to islands and using them as cover for engagements and keeping detection down works better for superior results though

Edited by BunnyOfTheFleet

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Welcome to something that many found out a long time ago. Though I still don't do it for the sheer fact of you give up the initiative to the other side and that is a BAD thing.  Moving up slowly might make you live longer, but you're not going to get much done by doing it. 

Better idea, move up smartly where there is cover and move methodically to lower your exposure.

I like to move up at 1/2-3/4 speed, that way I'm never far from semi-useful cover in the form of friendly BBs. When it heats up, I run away, but only far enough to make the BBs a more tempting target. CA accuracy is good enough I can keep up useful firing the whole time.

My problem with racing to cover is that you often have no clue who's going to catch up to you. If it's nobody, because they all went somewhere else, sure, you're in cover, but chances are that when you leave it, you'll be walking into a situation where you're outnumbered.

Nathan Bedford Forrest recommends getting there "firstest with the mostest", not "firstest with whatever decides to follow you" :D

30,523 posts
6,075 battles

I like to move up at 1/2-3/4 speed, that way I'm never far from semi-useful cover in the form of friendly BBs. When it heats up, I run away, but only far enough to make the BBs a more tempting target. CA accuracy is good enough I can keep up useful firing the whole time.

My problem with racing to cover is that you often have no clue who's going to catch up to you. If it's nobody, because they all went somewhere else, sure, you're in cover, but chances are that when you leave it, you'll be walking into a situation where you're outnumbered.

Nathan Bedford Forrest recommends getting there "firstest with the mostest", not "firstest with whatever decides to follow you" :D

I usually operate independent of BBs, cause I can't count on them most times to back me up. So Moving to cover as quickly as possible is usually my first focus.
  • Cool 1

[RM-I]
Members
446 posts
5,377 battles

So basically dont move 5 km away from your spawn, technically hes correct. So far away no one can see you

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

The real secret to why high tier games suck is because people play like this and never engage.

YL8k4pw.jpg

In Spoiler: Accurate depiction of high tier combat.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo

[RM-I]
Members
446 posts
5,377 battles

i been playing a lot of high tier cruisers and after some difficulty with survivalbility i have finally reached enlightment

see DDs and cruisers have much lower survivalbility vs BBs and thats not because of their low HP and low armor, its all due to player PLAYSTYLE

so after watching countless BB players I have finally discovered their tricks to high survivalbility and i want to share the tricks with you

1. first 5 min of the game:  use 1/4 speed ONLY.  NEVER EVER GO FASTER THAN 1/4 SPEED, better yet, just go afk for the first 3 min.  
  2. for the 5 to 10 min of the game:  now that some ships have died off and its a bit safer, you can finally increase your speed to 1/2
  3. for the last 10 min of the game, if the game is still going that is:   if you see an enemy approaching you, TURN AWAY IMMEDIATELY.  now this is the ONLY situation where you can use FULL speed of your ship to run away and kite the enemy
  4. NEVER EVER let an enemy within 15km of you (of course you use the range mod)

5. Make sure you have full concealment so no one can see you

again to summarize, when at the beginning of the battle and you are heading towards the enemy, NEVER EVER go faster than 1/4 speed

however if you see ANY ENEMY and they have the slightest intention of wanting to fire on you, IMMEDIATELY TURN AWAY and now this is where the full speed of your ship comes into play

after dying early countless times trying to contest cap and support DDs, and coutless hours of studying and researching BB players,  i hope my general guide will help improve the survivalbility of my fellow high tier cruiser captains

There amended the cowardly way to play crusiers

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

I usually operate independent of BBs, cause I can't count on them most times to back me up. So Moving to cover as quickly as possible is usually my first focus.

I hear ya, just different philosophy. BBs have no choice but to back me up, because I have the mobility to keep them in the battle.

Mind you, if I'm top tier, with a favourable match composition, in a comfortable ship, I'll tend to play more in the fashion you describe.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

To hell with going slow.  I'm in there to cause damage and sink as many as I can.  Fighting ships fight.

This is true, but you can't fight with your turrets awash, back broken, or keel facing the sky. :)

Nothing wrong with letting the big boys engage first and draw fire, then doing a quick assessment, THEN using your speed to position well and maintain effective fire.

Basically, assuming there's BBs involved, you can be extra HP for them, or extra DPM. If you let the enemy fixate on the BBs first, you have a better chance of being the latter.

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

​Same. I've taken to calling it "unchained battle doctrine", the only time I experience good BB pushes, is when I am in one, because I am the Push. Can't rely on the average battleship to do jack.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

you're a coward and you should feel bad

30,523 posts
6,075 battles

​Same. I've taken to calling it "unchained battle doctrine", the only time I experience good BB pushes, is when I am in one, because I am the Push. Can't rely on the average battleship to do jack.

I mean when you do try and the BBs don't push, it takes you so far out of the fight it's not even funny.  Many times if I sit and wait with the BBs, I'm not even in firing range, especially if it's an IJN BB, and let's say I'm in my Leander. Only have a 13.3 km gun range and they mostly like to sit 17km away. Not going to do crap except sit hat in hand doing nothing.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

It's hard for me to push when there are 3 Shimakazes 10km away from my Yamato harassing me with torpedoes all game and the cruisers do jack all about them.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: How do I know they're 10km away? My fighter occasionally reveals one and I get some secondary hits on it, that's typically the only damage destroyers take all game until after I'm sunk. It seems like "Your yamato sank" is code for "Now engage enemy destroyers" in tier 10.

Members
194 posts
7,915 battles

Play a cruiser like a battleship, because why not, all ships are created equally.

Oh, and don't forget to check out the OP's second installment of his training series, "Secret Trick of Destroyer Play; Play Your Destroyer Like an Aircraft Carrier.

If all of your smart BB critics would only SHOW us how YOU play them so successfully, then perhaps others will emulate you.

I can see it now, you're in your high tier BB and you spot another BB sailing towards you.  Not wanting to stay bow on like all of those 'loser' BB captains, YOU turn broadside to get ALL of your guns into the battle.  POOF!  Instant deletion.

Ok, don't do that again, next time you decide to charge in at the opposing BB, rushing past the island to your flank.  As you steam past the island, a 'wall of skill' slams into your side.  POOF!  Oh, wait, that's not YOU, YOU know the ASWD secret.  Steering hard to one side, while momentarily chopping the throttle, you manage to miss most of the torps, only to find yourself broadside to enemy BB's.  POOF!

Next time, you decide to go help your DD by charging a pack of cruisers who are threatening him.  No to be a scaredy cat like those 'loser' BB captains, you are going to get real close to them so that can feel the heat from your muzzle flashes.  Instead, YOU are the one feeling the heat when several cruiser set multiple fires on you.  You are too close to them to escape, and are burned to the waterline.

Soon, after much failure, you will either switch to another class of ships, or, you will learn to play like those 'looser' BB captains.

Edited by CombatBoss

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

It's hard for me to push when there are 3 Shimakazes 10km away from my Yamato harassing me with torpedoes all game and the cruisers do jack all about them.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: How do I know they're 10km away? My fighter occasionally reveals one and I get some secondary hits on it, that's typically the only damage destroyers take all game until after I'm sunk. It seems like "Your yamato sank" is code for "Now engage enemy destroyers" in tier 10.

​High, or Mid Tier, doesn't really matter, the avg BB in this game would rather engage at 20km and stay there than actually face the enemy, and WIN THE MATCH. Matches are won and lost on which side has the least Fail BB on their team, and how well the Cruisers keep the DDs handled.

People refuse to understand, that in PVP games the Aggressive team is usually the victor. Doesn't matter if it's Rift, WOW, STO, MechWarrior, World Of Warships, the side that takes a steady measured aggressive posture is the one that will win 90% of the time, either through the use of crowd control (in this game that would be torps and fire), DPS, and coordinated strikes with a determined push to the objective.   I even took Sonar on my NO (because her AA is a joke even with DF) to help out the babies and they still would rather camp. So no I go with the unchained doctrine, and leave them to die, where they belong 20km away at the spawn.

Edited by Mavairo

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

​High, or Mid Tier, doesn't really matter, the avg BB in this game would rather engage at 20km and stay there than actually face the enemy, and WIN THE MATCH. Matches are won and lost on which side has the last Fail BB on their team, and how well the Cruisers keep the DDs handled.

People refuse to understand, that in PVP games the Aggressive team is usually the victor. Doesn't matter if it's Rift, WOW, STO, MechWarrior, World Of Warships, the side that takes a steady measured aggressive posture is the one that will win 90% of the time, either through the use of crowd control (in this game that would be torps and fire), DPS, and coordinated strikes with a determined push to the objective.   I even took Sonar on my NO (because her AA is a joke even with DF) to help out the babies and they still would rather camp. So no I go with the unchained doctrine, and leave them to die, where they belong 20km away at the spawn.

You've obviously never played with me.

What's my average survival rate, damage, and winrate in battleships? Wanna tell me that's because I snipe at 20km?

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,130 battles

So you're saying the cruisers should support the DD's.

Um, right....:unsure: