Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KingJacko

Got any Atago commander suggestions?

8 comments in this topic

[SALTY]
Members
176 posts
9,289 battles

I just got the ARP Takao, or Atago.  It gives you 10 points on the commander to play around with, and i have no clue what to put on.  I have not played any Japanese cruisers, hence why i have no idea what to do here.

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

For Takao, I'd recommend BoS, EM, Superintendent, and DE.

[STAR]
Members
128 posts
10,277 battles

This is the best. But I'm about to put AFT on the 4th row because I'm gonna use this commander on Kongous too

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,161 battles

If you die a lot then get Vigilance or Torpedo Acceleration.

Supervisor's only usefull if you live long enough for it to be useful.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
4,964 battles

AFT is an interesting choice if you decide to go that route. Secondaries on Takao/Atago reach out to almost 8km with module and flags. 

But the DE and Main Battery focus with ASM1 is generally the better option. Since ASM1 also speeds up Torpedo Traverse. 

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

:great:  Yes, this.  And when you get the 15th point, CE.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
4,964 battles

If you only have Takao as your only ARP ship and only IJN Cruiser I'd stay away Secondary or Torpedo Builds depending on your current experiences. If a target is within Secondaries then they're also within Torpedos. Likewise they are within your Minimum Detection ring when Maximizing Stealth. 

Since Takao's your first IJN CA the optimal Modules for the ship would be:

MAM1, ASM1, DCM1, SGM2, CSM1 

For captain it depends on your previous experiences. There's "basic" (which has been previouslymentione) and there's "cheeky"

Basic: BoS or EL, EM or LS, SI, DE, CE (lv.15), last 3 are preference options. 

Cheeky: BFT, TAE, SI, AFT, MFCSB (lv.15), EM, BoS or EL; SBM2 instead of ASM1.  

You only have 10.7km detection so no stealth torps but you've got long range Secondaries, Torpedoes, and your Main Battery around 8km and closer. 

Also here are some Skill breakdowns for some options you might contemplate for Takao.

EL - if your background is CAs or BBs and you already know how to make the most of the skill and your turret Cooldowns and have Good Aim.

Downsides to the skill is 5 Turrets on the Takao vs 3-4 of other CAs and BBs which could throw off your salvo and switch timings.

BFT - not extremely useful considering the IJN are the weakest of the Cruiser Lines for AA support or Secondary build candidates; ties the RN for the latter. 

BoS - if you're unsure of EL or BFT you can never go wrong with -15% fire/flood duration. Even without the additional - 15% from the module. 

EM - strong option for Lv.2 considering you have 5 Turrets. 

LS - strong Defensive option as it leave you to save DCP for floods and fires. Personally I find that my steering or engines rarely knocked out enough to warrant the skill. Although there have been many over extensions where I've wished I took it. But at standard engagement ranges not required. 

TAE - Takao has forward Arcing Torps. If you've got a strong background in DDs this skill may be very useful to you. But the Torps even with the forward Arcs and 10.0km range should be used sparingly. You are a Cruiser with a Citadel and much larger turning radius and longer rudder shift than a DD. Even if Takao has 'stealth Torp' potential.

SI - best skill at Lv.3 unrivalled in utility. 

HA - best left for the second pass at Lv.18 but is a useful build if you're more interested is a maximum survivability build. 

Vig - while a valuable skill especially when in and around DDs if you're able to predict where they are naturally, your Hydro Consumable should be enough early warning to Torpedoes; the CatFTR also helps in this regard. And another reason to why SI is top for the level. 

DE - IJN Cruisers have a naturally good HE she'll in both damage potential and %Fire. +3%Fire makes the shells even better. Only downside is you might catch yourself only shooting HE to light fires even if they are Broadside when you AP will provide higher Burst Damage. 

AFT - like BFT's downsides the extended range of secondaries and AA aren't as beneficial towards the ship's Support role since it's not the strongest to begin with. And unless speccing for secondaries which is sub optimal for general engagements compared to DE but it has potential to be quite the difference maker in some engagements. Especially with Takao's 5.5km base secondary range. 

CE - Takao is one of the stealthier Cruisers available and allows for some sneakier Torpedo plays as wells as dropping out of detection and running easier. 

MFCSB - definitely not as strong as CE and requires a fair amount of additional supporting skills like AFT, BFT, and SBM2. But on Takao there's potential for surprising effectiveness. Most DDs when inside your detection bubble expect Secondaries to be around 6km on a Cruiser 7.2km at the most. Sure it's not BB levels of Damage output but targets your secondaries can reach out to are also with Torpedo Range with a decent Buffer. 

JoaT - you've got 3 consumables the skill affects; 4 with DCP. But like MFCSB, CE is the safer choice. But when combined with the likes of HA, JoaT assists in making sure your DCP and other consumables are more readily available. 

Sign in to follow this