You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Darth_Caedus_

Are almost all tier 8-10 matches slow and dull?

40 comments in this topic

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

i just recently unlocked my first ever tier 8 ship the North Carolina, and have noticed a massive shift in game play.

All the action (if you can call it that) happens at a snails pace, most of the time entire teams never even shift from their initial sides of the map, caps are left untouched unless found to be completely empty and even then it's one or two light ships dashing in and grabbing the cap or immediately retreating if it becomes contested.

Even DDs are staying as far back as possible and launching max range torp spreads.

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,190 battles

It depends a lot on your style. If you're going into the thick of it and forcing fights then you're going to have a more fast paced game. If you copy the "sniping" meta then you're going to be sitting back a lot. What it really comes down to is whether or not you have competent DD's on your team that use smoke properly.

Alpha Tester
1,435 posts
22,735 battles

As range and damage goes up people tend to take more advantage of that... Most pushes are lead by cruisers, with only a few BB types that regularly follow them Those would be any with a secondary battery range of 10km most of the time.

Members
2,462 posts
7,179 battles

Give Co-Op a try. Action there is usually much better. Bots can't even spell "camp". They are as aggressive as all get out. I'm not sure they will ever break that nasty habit of camping the spawn and not moving in Random. The Service Fee doesn't seem to have made much difference at all.  

Edited by Deputy276

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,120 battles

The ships at higher tier are more accurate and Ships tend to shoot further which makes sniping more of an option the new meta however rewards a more aggressive style of play

So there more fun than they used to be , mid tier is were the action is at

[FG]
Members
566 posts
5,003 battles

I'd say Tier 8 games are not too bad, but the vast majority of games I've played against Tier 9 and 10s have been beyond boring. So many players act as if the capture points are going to give them a disease. I can't tell you how many 9/10 games I've played in that have been won because one team simply will not contest the cap.

All the gameplay elements and teammate's playstyles that you despise at lower tiers just seem to be magnified in Tier 9/10 games for me. 

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

It depends a lot on your style. If you're going into the thick of it and forcing fights then you're going to have a more fast paced game. If you copy the "sniping" meta then you're going to be sitting back a lot. What it really comes down to is whether or not you have competent DD's on your team that use smoke properly.

I try my best to push as I have always done in my BBs, but sometimes that feels like I'm forcing a yolo on my self as it's always just me making the forward push, even if I'm only being contested by a ship or two on a flank we should be able to take with a minor team effort. I look back and everyone else I moving forward with me. I call for a focus on target, I announce what caps or flanks I will be moving into, and... nothing. A lot of radio silence at this tier as well.

I'll just have to keep trying I guess. 5 to 6 was a big change to but I eventually adjusted.

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

Almost to my Bismarck...think I'll imitate the Cool-aid man in matches like that.  Probably get me killed but it'll be totally worth it.

Beta Testers
3,000 posts
4,522 battles

Damagebecomes viable from much further out while damage mitigation like armor and mobility stagnates.

The result is any movements are both punishable and likely punitive. People in NA are loath to push into that

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

Give Co-Op a try. Action there is usually much better. Bots can't even spell "camp". They are as aggressive as all get out. I'm not sure they will ever break that nasty habit of camping the spawn and not moving in Random. The Service Fee doesn't seem to have made much difference at all.  

May have to start going coop ocationally just so I can get some fun out of a ships I've spent so long trying to get. I'm not worried about credit loss as I can make at least 300,000 to 500,000 credits in me shiny horse if the well runs a little dry.

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

Almost to my Bismarck...think I'll imitate the Cool-aid man in matches like that.  Probably get me killed but it'll be totally worth it.

From limited experience so far a good surprise charge can be fun, but are even more short lived than the lower tiers.

I had my first ever LOL pen from a Yamato and it didn't just hurt, it deleted me, and I wasn't even that close. From practically full health to sucking salt water in a salvo.

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

I'd say Tier 8 games are not too bad, but the vast majority of games I've played against Tier 9 and 10s have been beyond boring. So many players act as if the capture points are going to give them a disease. I can't tell you how many 9/10 games I've played in that have been won because one team simply will not contest the cap.

All the gameplay elements and teammate's playstyles that you despise at lower tiers just seem to be magnified in Tier 9/10 games for me. 

My God a match of mostly 8s with a few 7s i had right after I got the North Carolina made me fall in love with the ship.

The whole match felt like a world war 2 naval battle, everyone had a lot of fun, I found out just how much armor the NC has on its bow (and how little apparently in its belt), and what it felt like to actually delete and Iowa with an apparently equally thin belt strap lol.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

Well, it's up to you, mate. From what I feel, you gotta be just the right level of aggressive, to not only do well, but have some real fun doing it!

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

From limited experience so far a good surprise charge can be fun, but are even more short lived than the lower tiers.

I had my first ever LOL pen from a Yamato and it didn't just hurt, it deleted me, and I wasn't even that close. From practically full health to sucking salt water in a salvo.

Already experienced something similar against an Iowa.  Those suckers put me and my poor Gneisenau in a world of pain.

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

Well, it's up to you, mate. From what I feel, you gotta be just the right level of aggressive, to not only do well, but have some real fun doing it!

I think that's part of it for me, it's almost like I have to learn to walk again. The aggressive playstyle of every tier below this that gained me wins and exp, are now gaining me the angry bee stings of every smoked up island hiding cruiser and the one click and 10,000 hp is gone Yamato.

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

No, I enjoy them most of the time. They might be a bit slower on average, but there are plenty of quick ones.

Members
2,462 posts
7,179 battles

May have to start going coop ocationally just so I can get some fun out of a ships I've spent so long trying to get. I'm not worried about credit loss as I can make at least 300,000 to 500,000 credits in me shiny horse if the well runs a little dry.

If you use signals you can offset the credit loss and actually make a profit. Depends on the ship you use and how well you play. Scharn can make credits all on it's own without any boosters. :)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,209 posts
15,770 battles

Nope, but alot are. Hopefully soon more and more people will understand the new service cost and not hang back. That being said, sniping has long been and will long remain the meta

There is still the fact that the ships in the top three tiers are so deadly that the initial moves are very cautious, yolo'ing leads to even faster deaths.

[KFL]
Supertester
693 posts
18,578 battles

I have not noticed this. Tier 8 is my favorite. Bismarck, North Carolina, and hipper with mostly 1st place games. I guess cruisers tend to keep their distance for the devastating battleships but other than that I really have not noticed a difference.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I've gotten plenty of coop matches where the players decided to camp.

They lose 99% of the time.

In random, people don't seem to have gotten the note of fixed service fees.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

People complain that high tier matches a slow and boring because of a "camping meta", but really it's just because most people at the higher tiers have learned what YOLOing like a moron results in.

• Cool 2