Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tooboku

Competing with USN torp spam

10 comments in this topic

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,124 posts
9,058 battles

It's not a new thing but as I find myself becoming more methodical with my torpedo salvos, I just see my USN counterparts just spam away from range and consistently getting lucky... which totally ruins my own ambush. Fair game I guess... but with the current meta the way it is, you just don't have the ability as an IJN to eliminate your own spotters. You can't rely on any help from your team at all for help on that unless they want to steal this kill shot from you... you know... after you've spent 7/8 of your HP dueling.

Can't catch a break. -_-

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

When the country with the world's worst torpedoes at the start of WWII is considered the torpedo boats of the game...:facepalm:

Members
604 posts
8,367 battles

When the country with the world's worst torpedoes at the start of WWII is considered the torpedo boats of the game...:facepalm:

and when WG decide to give the stealthiest torp in WW2 a huge detection range..............

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

and when WG decide to give the stealthiest torp in WW2 a huge detection range..............

BalanceTM

[-BUI-]
Members
112 posts
9,319 battles

Just sit .1 km outside the short range of most of the US torps and watch them fizzle .01 km from your ship. Fun times.

Members
199 posts
2,045 battles

Just sit .1 km outside the short range of most of the US torps and watch them fizzle .01 km from your ship. Fun times.

​Had a game in my Fuso, Enemy CV dropped 2 full flights of torps off my starboard side.  Couldn't turn right, they were to close, couldn't turn left, an island was in the way.  So I sat there expecting to die from 12 torps, only to have them not arm in time.  All 12 hit, 0 damage.  The salt in chat was real.

Members
692 posts
21,388 battles

​Had a game in my Fuso, Enemy CV dropped 2 full flights of torps off my starboard side.  Couldn't turn right, they were to close, couldn't turn left, an island was in the way.  So I sat there expecting to die from 12 torps, only to have them not arm in time.  All 12 hit, 0 damage.  The salt in chat was real.

I've done the same thing in my Hipper - hug and island so they have to drop short. His point seems to be more toward kill steals from USN DD's 

USN DD's have good guns and okay torps - I see the same thing they don't AIM their torps they just shoot them in the general direction and hope while going back to guns. How do you combat that??

- Play Solo - not the best way but it will ensure that no one else can torp your target

- Shoot your torps very well - hard to do, you have to read your enemy and take them out quickly 

- Don't worry about kills and support the team - Kills are not the only way to get XP and Credits 

Go to WOWreplays site, look me up and watch one of my Kamikaze R matches - they aren't spectacular but it's a good idea how I like to play IJN DD's (yes the videos posted I get 4 or 5 kills but that isn't relevant, look at the teamwork) 

IJN DD's can be frustrating especially at tiers under 8 but this is the way I look at it

Goal 1 - Spot

Goal 2 - Cap 

Goal 3 - Kill 

With that I finish, typically in the top 5 if not top 3

Will you ever get away from Kill steals... Nope you just have to find better ways to support the team and have fun 

Edited by Pete_Darling

[JEEP]
[JEEP]
Members
1,124 posts
9,058 battles

Seriously. You USN drivers have been playing like crap lately. Stop it. Stop lane spamming.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

You have gone through this many times. 

The Mark 16/17 is a superior torpedo, plain and simple.  

You are right about the mark 15, but outside of sheer warhead size of IJN torpedoes, the mark 16/17 should beat any Top tier IJN torpedo in every aspect except damage. 

Sign in to follow this