Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

What on earth is wrong with me?

13 comments in this topic

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

I am something of a battleship newbie.  That being said, from the word "GO," New Mexico and I have gotten on well.  We're only 10 matches into our relationship, I don't even have the c-hull yet...but, somehow, things are just working out (even with MM showing me some truly fearsome opponents...getting secondary punked by Bismark = sad face).  Honestly, it seems like Bayern should be a very similar ship...no?  Unfortunately, Bayern and I are not getting along anything like New Mexico.  Maybe it's the Seagal advantage, maybe it's my nooBBish like skills rapidly changing...

Anyhow, can someone contrast Bayern and New Mex?  Looking at the in game Armor viewer, it seems they have different armor setups, but that they should be similarly effective.  Similar rudder shift, similar turning circle.  Super small sample, could just be that MM threw a little hate at my Bayern...but, well, she's not been similarly survivable thus far.  I assume that's why my damage is down a bit - not living to deal it out.  Guns actually feel similar to me, for being as different as they are between the two.  What's it take to keep this KM beast floating?  I was average in Konig...but, I haven't been able to transfer what limited success I had in Konig to Bayern.  

I guess I need to find that URPeaceKeeper video series again...

Edited by Mahrs

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

I never got a good handle on the Bayern but IMO it plays nothing like the New Mexico, I loved the NM. The Bayern is the only KM BB I really didn't enjoy, and free exp'd the last half of the grind to get to the next ship.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

The Bayern is more in your face than the New Mexico. Its also faster, it angles better, and has better secondaries.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

Bayern is manly. You get close to enemy, angle, laugh manically as you ricochet their salvos, and put some AP pain of your own on them instead. Honestly, even uptiered, it can be a fearsome ship...

Alpha Tester
1,435 posts
22,721 battles

Think of it like this when it comes to BB's

Germany is brawlers

Amarica is mid range. (due to having really large spreads at max range.)

Japan is snipers

As for Britain and France I can't be to sure as they only have 1 each...

Again these are just generalizations to make it easier...

Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

The biggest difference between Bayern and New Mexico is that NM has 50% more guns.  12 gun salvos versus 8 gun salvos is a huge difference, especially to average gunners.  All the German BB's (except GK at tier 10) are undergunned either in caliber or number.  That means that you have to make your shots count.

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

The biggest difference between Bayern and New Mexico is that NM has 50% more guns.  12 gun salvos versus 8 gun salvos is a huge difference, especially to average gunners.  All the German BB's (except GK at tier 10) are undergunned either in caliber or number.  That means that you have to make your shots count.

Indeed.  The guns on the New Mexico are still giving me problems...which is, frankly, somewhat amazing.  The fact that I can get into a match and slug my way to 80k+ damage without a single citadel hit is nuts to me.  My MBH for both ships is about 31%, but I figure I am landing more total salvos and more shells with the NM.  I am hoping that perhaps my NM experience starts to transfer - since, apparently, I've been playing NM like a Bayern...which is hard due to the speed.  I am also hoping to start making more quality hits with NM - if I could pull in just a handful of citadels each game, I'd start seeing some of her real potential.  

I suppose I just need to give Bayern some more love...perhaps playing New York and New Mexico will allow me to appreciate her more.  

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

Pretty much what they said.   Bayern has only 8 guns, mounted in 2 gun turrets- which tend to split and go off in odd directions...  Even at point blank range, the dispersion can be WONKY.   That said, I'm liking mine a lot.  (then again, I'm also a big fan of New York and Colorado- who also have 2 gun turrets)

Bayern DOES feel softer than those that we grind through to get it, and it takes more damage.  A trait which continues on up the line, according to the forums.   I'm thinking it's taking more damage from deck hits on the way in, and from experienced players who know not to pin their hopes on a citadel, and instead aim for the areas that give consistant normal pens- like the casemate deck.

Which brings me to New Mexico.   With all the German BB's flooding the queue, I long ago stopped counting on citadels to pad my damage.   I've found that NM (and Arizona) is the perfect tool to deal with Sharnhorst/Tirpitz spam.  Tough enough to take the punishment, and accurate- and with enough guns- enough to hurt them badly with 20k salvos to the casemate deck.   If it shows you any side, aim there, you can deal enormous amounts of damage via lots of normal pens!  You're accurate enough to drop plenty of shells on their decks from range, and that hurts like hell, too.   Arizona is slightly better at this, with it's better accuracy, but NM does it rather well.

Just keep at it- it'll come.  Bayern felt weird to me at first, too.  Then I got the hang of it, and the inner beast showed itself!   Same goes for the New Mexico.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Mexico has triple turrets...Bayern only has twins.

That difference matters a lot if you care only about shooting ships.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,090 battles

Also tend to forget that while NM has more guns, they are smaller than Bayerns. Meaning in a bow on situation, you can bounce the NM guns slightly angled while you can lol-pen the front of a NM.

Take advantage of those 15 inch guns.

Beta Testers
1,465 posts
4,344 battles

I am something of a battleship newbie.  That being said, from the word "GO," New Mexico and I have gotten on well.  We're only 10 matches into our relationship, I don't even have the c-hull yet...but, somehow, things are just working out (even with MM showing me some truly fearsome opponents...getting secondary punked by Bismark = sad face).  Honestly, it seems like Bayern should be a very similar ship...no?  Unfortunately, Bayern and I are not getting along anything like New Mexico.  Maybe it's the Seagal advantage, maybe it's my nooBBish like skills rapidly changing...

Anyhow, can someone contrast Bayern and New Mex?  Looking at the in game Armor viewer, it seems they have different armor setups, but that they should be similarly effective.  Similar rudder shift, similar turning circle.  Super small sample, could just be that MM threw a little hate at my Bayern...but, well, she's not been similarly survivable thus far.  I assume that's why my damage is down a bit - not living to deal it out.  Guns actually feel similar to me, for being as different as they are between the two.  What's it take to keep this KM beast floating?  I was average in Konig...but, I haven't been able to transfer what limited success I had in Konig to Bayern.  

I guess I need to find that URPeaceKeeper video series again...

​New Sexico has Real Shells (the air drag on Bayern kills it's killing power on anything but cruisers into mid range shooting, where as NM gives no **** about what range it's shooting thanks to it's aerodynamic SHS shell), and the ability to hit what you aim at beyond 10km reliably. Bayern on the other hand... 9km and down is it's effective range.

​My advice, is to either free xp past it, or just stick it out until you get the Demi God of T7 The Genny. (Goddess is still Nagato, much more potential power in the ship imo than Genny)

Edited by Mavairo

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

I'm a relatively experienced BB player, and for some reason I just can't Bayern with consistency.  It is a difficult grind for me.  Some games I can't hit the broadside of a barn/ship at close range.  My main gun percentage is abysmal.  As others have noted, it's a 2X4 main.  They are 15inchers, so they have a nice punch.  But you gotta hit.

On the flip side, I do very well with the Arizona, a 3X4.  

But it's not just the gun numbers.  I also play decently in the Warspite and Colorado, both are 2X4.  And given the armor creep of the German line, I believe both are a disadvantage (armor wise in teir) than the Bayern.

I'm going to continue the Bayern grind only because I know it can be a very good ship for its tier if one can learn how to play it.  I hear its a brawler, and I learned on the USN and IJN line, which are the low/high mid range respectively.  I do tend to be over aggressive in the USN/IJN BB line, but only when I see that option as tactically feasible.  It seems that is the main option for the Bayern.

Sign in to follow this