You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Magus

A Detailed? Look At HS Velos (D-16)

12 comments in this topic

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles

Here's my attempt to do an ADLA-type post on HS Velos, a ship that I think would make a nice Tier 8 premium DD. ADLAs are up for grabs for everyone now with dseehafer being retired from them, right?

History:

HS Velos (D-16) began life as USS Charrette (DD-581), one of the US Navy's 175 Fletcher-class destroyers. That's a lot of sisters. Commissioned on May 18 1943, she fought hard most of the major Pacific battles afterward. Highlights included helping to sink submarine I-175 on February 5 1944 and capturing a Japanese hospital ship (being illegally used as a troop ship) on August 2 1945, along with more general participation in battles like the Great Marianas Turkey Shoot, Operation Hailstone and Leyte Gulf. On March 4 1946 she was placed into reserve, having received 13 battle stars for her service.

GkQgcg9.jpg

On June 16 1959, Charrette was removed from the reserve fleet and transferred to the Hellenic Navy as Velos ("Arrow'). On May 25 1973, during a NATO exercise Commander Nikolaos Pappas led the entire crew of Velos in a mutiny against the Greek military dictatorship and set course for Rome, where he and the rest of the ship's officers and NCOs stayed as political refugees. They ordered the enlisted crew to return the ship to Greece in order to avoid reprisals against the crew's families. When democracy was restored a year later, Pappas and the others returned to Greece and were reinstated to the Navy. He eventually rose to the rank of Admiral and became Chief of the Navy General Staff.

2dcDu8e.jpg

Velos was decommissioned on February 26 1991. She was ceremonially recommissioned in 1994 and serves as the "Museum of the Struggle Against the Dictatorship", one of four surviving Fletcher-class destroyers and the only one outside the United States. Velos is anchored alongside another museum ship, the world's sole surviving armored cruiser HS Georgios Averof, at the Park of Maritime Tradition outside Athens.

cXZbzL7.jpg

Tonnage:

2100 tons standard, 3050 tons full load

With fr05ty's formula of 3294 + (4.601 x tonnage) that comes out to 17327.05 HP. Round that to 17300. That be the second highest HP among Tier 8 DDs after Tashkent (third highest counting the upcoming Akizuki). But why do I want to downtier a Fletcher? I'll get to that later.

Armor:

LOL no.

Main Armament:

4x1 127mm/38 Mk30

Everyone who's played a USN destroyer from T5 Nicholas and up is familiar with the 5"/38 and the orbital launch trajectory of its 792m/s shells. Anybody who's played Benson, Lo Yang or (of course) Fletcher is familiar with this particular mounting of the 5"/38. 18 rounds/min, 34deg/s rotation, 2100 AP alpha, 1800 HE alpha, 5" fire chance. For balance purposes I'd suggest the stock Fletcher's 11.8km range rather than the upgraded 12.9km.

No, one fewer gun isn't why I want to put a Fletcher at Tier 8.

i4ukrYG.jpg

Torpedoes:

1x5 533mm

Yeah. This is why Velos would be a T8 destroyer when her sister Fletcher is a T9. Taking away half the torps is a big loss and makes Velos less flexible than Fletcher.

The Mk15 mod. 3 torpedo has a range of 9.2km, speed of 55kt and 16663 alpha damage. That's a good fish, same as an upgraded Benson, but remember that you only get 5 of them at a time.

bTPG5zv.jpg

Apparently Velos also had 2x3 324mm torpedo tubes for ASW, but no we can't have Mk46 homing torps with 40+kt speed and 10km range. If those are modeled at all (they seem to be removed from the museum ship) they'd be cosmetic only.

Anti-Aircraft Armament:

4x1 127mm/38 Mk30,

3x2 76.2mm/50 Mk33

2x1 12.7mm M2 Browning

We all also know the 5"/38 is dual-purpose. 4 of them would be 42 DPS out to 5km. If you don't know the 3"/50, check Des Moines' AA. Yep, same guns. 3 twins add up to 83 DPS, again at 5km. The 2 .50 cal machine guns the Greeks mounted probably weren't actually for AA purposes but they can still shoot at planes. 7 DPS at 1.2km.

qatjmIz.jpg

Yeah, that's good AA and effectively all of it is long-range. There are T8 cruisers that wish they had this AA. Granted they're Japanese cruisers but they're still cruisers. CV players will definitely notice when they've crossed into your range.

Speed:

35 knots

Apparently Velos lost a knot and a half over the course of her postwar refits. Still adequate for a T8 destroyer.

She's still a Fletcher and will presumably drive a lot like a Fletcher. Fletcher's got a 560m turning circle and 3 sec rudder shift, Velos would be in the same ballpark.

Concealment:

Again, she's a Fletcher. 7.4km by sea, 4km by air.

Consumables/Gimmicks:

Radar maybe? If German DDs can have German super-hydro, why not.

Defensive AA? :trollface:

Torpedo reload booster to mitigate the severe weakness of the torpedo armament?

I think American smoke is good enough to count as a gimmick.

I would suggest that radar (with something like a 6-7km range) be in the same consumable slot as smoke, and torp reload booster and/or defensive AA in the same slot as engine boost. That way you have to give up a lot if you want radar (just like RN CLs that aren't Belfast) and you can't have faster torp reload at the same time as defensive AA.

Conclusion:

Velos would be a less versatile destroyer than Benson or her Tier 9 sister Fletcher. Only being able to put out 1 torpedo spread at a time means you're more reliant on the guns than other American or ex-American DDs. Fortunately those guns shoot fast and are well suited to knife-fighting with enemy DDs, even if they're not so well-suited for long range shooting. Her history really seems premium-worthy to me, and unlike most Fletchers she could be downtiered and sold as a conventional premium.

4N9b6za.jpg

Edited by Lord_Magus
  • Cool 6

0 posts

It would definitely fit well into a premium slot at around tiers 7 to 8. The lack of torpedoes make them a secondary asset at best, and the ship would need quite the excellent stats on its guns to make up for the loss in torpedo firepower. The anti-aircraft guns will prove quite useful in combat, especially with the 76mm AA guns. Overall, this would be a solid high tier destroyer, and would seem quite fun to play as well. 

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

Not only would I support your proposal, I'd love to see HS Georgios Averof in game at some point.  Great ship with a great history.

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles

Not only would I support your proposal, I'd love to see HS Georgios Averof in game at some point.  Great ship with a great history.

I'm hoping somebody else will do an ADLA on Averof. The question is how to tier her, and I honestly don't know.

[CSF-1]
[CSF-1]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
30 posts

A bit late to this, but at least as her config as a museum ship, Velos has two single 20mm Oerlikon Mk4's above her bridge. I am personally unaware of where the .50 MGs where placed (or indeed at all). The Mk 32 SVTTs where fitted abaft the fore funnel, infront of the 3" AA guns on a small platform which is still in place on the ship in her museum state. I would assume the SVTT had value to the Greek Navy at that point in time, so they where retained for use or the value of the system itself, whereas the rest of the weapons and sensors could be considered obsolete or of a low enough monetary value or utility to not be worth removing. At some point it seems the deck that is the bridge roof around the main gun-director was changed slightly to include small wings, and the 20mm Oerlikons. These observations are all easily notable with a quick search on Google Images for "Βέλος 16". 

Members
66 posts
3,758 battles

Just to keep this thread alive and honour the ship...some screenshots of my Fletcher

shot-18_08.16_18_32.35-0457.thumb.jpg.55d8488204936aa057bd8f73b2d8dce1.jpg

shot-18.08.16_18.32.55-0134.jpg

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,323 posts
16,682 battles

Well, it’ll have to wait for the Pan-European nation to be added to the game. 

And I don’t approve of even a short ranged radar. Why not keep the single launcher but give it the top Fletcher torps and a choice of speed boost, def aa, or torp reload booster alongside the USN smokes. 

Still different to the Fletcher, still justified a tier lower, doesn’t rely on a gimmick...

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles

I'm all for her as a Pan-European premium, or even as a separate Greek one if people can find enough material to justify a full line. Count me in.

Members
480 posts
4,737 battles

Nicely written, but we have enough Fletchers. If we REALLY needed another one, I'd say Johnston.

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles
14 hours ago, AyanoMidori said:

Nicely written, but we have enough Fletchers. If we REALLY needed another one, I'd say Johnston.

At the time I wrote this, Chung Mu and Kidd didn't exist yet. But I agree that we're already loaded with Fletchers now.