Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Minsc_and_Boo

Battle scoring

5 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
385 battles

TLDR:

I just avoided 863,900 damage in a T6 cruiser in a T8 match and got the lowest team XP contribution

Details:

If people felt you could still make a meaningful contribution when under-leveled maybe it would be more fun to be a casual player. I was a well deserved rank 20 in a match with one rank 4 (enemy) and one rank 5 (allied). The next 4 ranks were 8, 9, 10 enemy, 13 allied. These were not scrubs like me. I was the only T6 ship on my team in a T8 battle. Surely my best course would be to bait and kite the enemy BBs? Great Success! The shells thrown at my ship could have destroyed my humble Molotov more than 30 times over. I did 1.2 times my ship HP in damage. Then the downer: lowest score on my team. After my 10GB download simply for the pleasure of this waste of my first win bonus I am much less inclined to play target practice any more, regardless of how hard a target I appear to be.

Edited by Minsc_and_Boo

[KSF]
-Members-
5,295 posts
9,204 battles

863,900 is not really all that special a potential damage for a cruiser.  My record is 2.9 million in the Atago, and I've gotten over 2 million with my Molotov.  Unless you're also contributing by doing damage and capping, your XP scores will always be low.  I don't know exactly how it works, but I do know that doing damage seems to be the single biggest factor by far.  From my experience potential damage seems to be a rather minor factor.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I was in a tier 6 BB, the Dunkerque(most recent game, tonight), and raked up 1.2 million potential damage.

You can get good results with Potential damage, but it's not something to rely on.

That game got me over 2k base XP (we won) and I was top on my team. However, I also capped two points, did 130k Damage, and got both 'dreadnought' and 'unsinkable'

I don't have a Molotov, so I don't know how exactly she should be played best, but if I'm not mistaken she's a glass cannon, great HV 180mm guns with poor armor... Seems like she'd be best at hunting DDs, shooting cruisers with AP, and burning BBs at long range with HE... So potential damage is not a stat you should be worrying about, if I'm not mistaken...

But I'm sure someone can correct me there

Members
1,451 posts
11,015 battles

Potential damage is way to compensate and/or encourage aggressive play, but not the main source of income.

Anyway you are supposed to play a bit cautiously if you are bottom tiered rather than go up and tank damage. Furthermore 860k potential damage is really not much...

I have been bottom tiered many times and able to be at least top3 of team score. It depends on your play style. You cannot expect to do the same thing as you are top tiered. Need to know what is your main objective in that situation and what you can do and what you better avoid

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles
Surely my best course would be to bait and kite the enemy BBs? 

I haven't played Molotov, but looking at the numbers it doesn't seem like a boat I'd go kiting in. Armor is pretty much non-existent, turning radius is huge, rudder shift time is all right but nothing special and torpedoes are not fit for any kind of area denial. 

I think next time you find yourself in this kind of match the best bet is to hide behind some island and keep annoying people with HE spam, like all VMF cruisers do. Even though you're bottom-tiered you have practically the same range as T8 IJN or USN cruisers, so you still can contribute without getting deleted immediately, but personally I wouldn't kite in a Molotov.

And ~900k potential damage is not much. I often go kiting in Myoko - this is a boat fantastically suited for the task - and can easily get over 2 million in potential damage. In fact there was a match recently where I've done very little in terms of damage, but had a few cap defenses, a cap assist and 2.6 kk potential damage and somehow winded up on top of the team.

Edited by geser98

Sign in to follow this