You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Night60700

Do Cruisers Do More Damage Than Battle Ships?

46 comments in this topic

Members
639 posts
1,355 battles

Just a simple question. Because Battle Ships have Much Better Penetration, and Much Better Armor. So if Cruisers don't make up for that by doing Much More Damage than Battle Ship. Then Battle Ships Are Over Powered.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

Just a simple question. Because Battle Ships have Much Better Penetration, and Much Better Armor. So if Cruisers don't make up for that by doing Much More Damage than Battle Ship. Then Battle Ships Are Over Powered.

What?! :teethhappy:

Go to this website.

https://na.warships.today/vehicles

You'll find the truth.

Members
522 posts

I do more damage in a DD - entirely because I suck at BBs and kinda suck at cruisers. I just burnt a Colorado in an Qgnevoi, which is a first for me. I expect the answer to be entirely subjective based on the player's preferences. 

• Cool 1

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

But if cruisers did the same damage, while being more able to spot and cap, then cruisers would be overpowered.

Damage, spotting, capping, and potential damage all contribute to winning and rewards.

Some classes do more of one, less of another, but it all roughly evens out.

If a particular class was OP in general, it would be at the top of the XP list a lot more often than the others. But that isn't the case.

BBs do damage and take lots of potential damage, but rarely cap or spot. DDs cap and spot a lot, but don't typically do as much damage, or rack up a lot of potential damage. Cruisers are in the middle, they are second best at all the things.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

It really depends I think...a good player in a cruiser can rack up some really high damage games, but a really crappy player in the same ship will probably die before he gets anything decent. Same can be said for BBs. I mean hell, back when I first started the USN BB tree back in CBT, I sucked! xD I couldn't get any decent damage games. In fact, back then I played more cruisers than BBs, and did fairly well in them (not unicum levels mind you lol)

So it really depends on the player as well as what specific ship you're talking about.

The way I see it, BBs as a whole are not OP. There are probably a couple though that are doing very very well (like the Bismarck and Yamato for example) but there are others that are so blatantly UP that its not even funny (like the poor Mikasa, Kawachi and Myogi)

The same thing can also be said for cruisers. There are some that do very very well (Zao) and others that just plainly suck. (Krappy Kreme lol)

[NLL]
Members
151 posts
9,695 battles

BB's, DD's, CL/CA's, CV,s.......nothing compares to fishes, i see more of them every day and they wreck everything

Members
639 posts
1,355 battles

But if cruisers did the same damage, while being more able to spot and cap, then cruisers would be overpowered.

In my Pensacola. I'm 1kt faster than a Battle Ship. And The Sharnhorst has the same 15.7 km Detection Range. So I call blatant B.S.

So 1kt faster makes up for the Lack of Damage and the Lack of Armor?

I can't cap in the Pensacola. If I don't stay behind the friendly Battle Ships, I just instantly die. You clearly didn't think it out when you said that a 1kt faster ship that gets citadelled by Destroyers while Angled is better at Capping than a Ship just has to go Bow in and Suddenly it doesn't take Damage any more. If My friendly Battle Ships wont move up and take the hits, then I can't cap in a Cruiser without dying.

Edited by Night60700

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

In my Pensacola. I'm 1kt faster than a Battle Ship. And The Sharnhorst has the same 15.7 km Detection Range. So I call blatant B.S.

So 1kt faster makes up for the Lack of Damage and the Lack of Armor?

I can't cap in the Pensacola. If I don't stay behind the friendly Battle Ships, I just instantly die. You clearly didn't think it out when you said that a 1kt faster ship that gets citadelled by Destroyers while Angled is better at Capping than a Ship just has to go Bow in and Suddenly it doesn't take Damage any more. If My friendly Battle Ships wont move up and take the hits, then I can't cap in a Cruiser without dying.

First of all, the Pensacola is the single worst cruiser to make an example out of. People have been complaining about its concealment for ages.

Cruisers are more maneuverable than battleships, especially at T8 with the steering gear modification. In addition most have Defensive Fire and/or hydro-acoustic/radar as an option to counter CV's and DD's.

They play differently and have different strengths/weaknesses/roles.

On a side note, Moskva and Zao, two T10 Cruisers are doing more damage than the Montana, a T10 Battleship.

Edited by saagri

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

Cruisers have mobility, a measure more of stealth, and rate of fire on top of accuracy. So aside from the fact they can out damage a BB just on setting a billion fires, they have other strengths to counteract it. All ships in this game form to a base RPG class type and then various subtypes -

BB's are tanks, they can eat a ton of damage without flinching, only difference is that while they attack slow they can hit hard.

Cruisers are your typical melee DPS or ranged DPS - decent attack rate and damage that can drain health rapidly, can take a bit of a hit but wants to dodge the big attacks.

DD's are the rogue/Ninja - high mobility and stealth with the ability to deal insane amounts of damage.

CV's are the black mage. At range, pure devastation. Get inside that range to where you can hit.... squishy as hell.

30,523 posts
6,075 battles

cruisers don't do what????

shot-16.10.26_19.14.18-0024_zpsj4lzhdrg.

1 battle does not a statement make.

Many battles however:

VD28bRy.png

Tells a much different story. Neptune is an anaomly right now with the low amount of battles played overall. But as you can see, every tier 9 BB is higher than the rest of the cruisers in damage. And this is basically repeated every tier.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

Cruisers make up for smaller guns and less armor by quicker gun reloads, much better turning ( better rudder shift) faster speed and maybe the most important thing .. BBs just hate this ... fire from HE rounds

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Cruisers have much better map control and utility than BBs.

isnOf63.jpg

Members
806 posts
5,710 battles

[...] Pensacola [...]

That's your problem right there, friend.  The Pepsi is a well-known contender for a detectability buff.

Back to the subject at hand; no.  A Cruiser will have an extremely difficult matching a Battleship for damage output, mostly because from the keel up a BB is designed for major fleet action.  This game artificially encourages that action (for good reason) which immediately places support ships or OTH ships (CA, CL and CV) at a disadvantage.  

The modelers do an excellent job of basing the ships on reality, and they have my thanks for that.  Unfortunately we, as players, are our own worst enemy.  If you have a Colorado in your port and you know you're likely to have better results in that than your Pensacola, what is your impetus for taking the Pepsi out?  Many times the people who do are working on getting the New Orleans and grinding away, but that's really about it any longer.  Very few people actually enjoy playing the first US CA in the game.  

MANY people enjoy playing the Konig, New York, Texas, Kongo (and clones), New Mexico, Fuso, Arizona, Bayern, Colorado, Nagato, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, North Carolina, Amagi, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Iowa, Missouri, Izumo and Big Freddie - ALL of which a Pensacola is likely to encounter and ANY of which could remove one with a single well-aimed salvo.  This unfortunate artificiality of the game is what - I believe - the biggest problem with cruisers is.  Most purely surface actions in the First and Second World Wars were fought by a combination of Cruisers, Destroyers and smaller ships.  For every 1 Iowa there were 3 and a half Baltimores, nearly 2 Brooklyns, nearly 7 Clevelands, 2 Atlantas, most of 1 Juneau, 1 Oregon City, 1/2 of a Worcester, and 4 1/2 entire classes of destroyers.

All that and we regularly have games with 1 CV, 6 BBs, 2 CAs, 2 CLs and 1 DD.

But despite that, restricting BBs will cause an unholy cluster of epic proportions... I don't know if we have any better options at the moment.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
  • Cool 1

30,523 posts
6,075 battles

Cruisers make up for smaller guns and less armor by quicker gun reloads, much better turning ( better rudder shift) faster speed and maybe the most important thing .. BBs just hate this ... fire from HE rounds

Average fire from cruisers is around 10-12%. Average fire chance from BBs hover from 25-33%. You can look that up if you like.
  • Cool 1

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Average fire from cruisers is around 10-12%. Average fire chance from BBs hover from 25-33%. You can look that up if you like.

But cruisers do HE better because tighter grouping and more shells per minute.

[USCC]
Members
3,907 posts
19,236 battles

Sturth right there.. My Bismarck secondaries set set everything around me on fire, hell I think it sets itself on fire sometimes lol

30,523 posts
6,075 battles

But cruisers do HE better because tighter grouping and more shells per minute.

Yeah well with a 33% fire chance from a tier 6+ BB, all you really have to do is just hit the damn ship to set it on fire.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

You cant compare damage output of one class to another. They are not related.

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

Your absolutely right, unfortunately or fortunately the amount of rounds I hit a BB with in my Cruiser is at times well over a hundred and by contrast the BB hits me with maybe a dozen and im sunk and that can make me shed tears but usually hes firing AP at me not the fire starter HE .. so The fire Gods like my shell numbers more which can at times lead to BB tears and a cry to nerf fires.. in the end it works itself out ... sometimes maybe depending on whos still floating

Members
34 posts
2,994 battles

Battleships are the tanks, and they have amazing burst damage potential. However, cruisers are much better at putting out consistent dps, through constant HE, AP, and fire damage. Yes, cruisers are more fragile than battleships by far, but other than a few exceptions(*cough*Pensacola*cough*), a cruiser player can maneuver to take minimal damage from incoming AP fire. Cruisers have much better utility than battleships. A battleship can tank and perform large alpha strikes, but it cannot consistently take on destroyers and win, nor is it capable of contesting a cap. A cruiser, on the other hand, is more well-rounded. It might not be able to pull off 20k+ damage salvos, but a cruiser firing AP quickly racks up ~5k salvos, and it can put them out much faster than a battleship. Set a cruiser against and destroyer, and the destroyer is likely not going to survive. While a cruiser isn't quite as good at contesting a cap as a destroyer, most cruisers are capable of doing so. In short, just because cruisers don't always do as much damage as battleships doesn't mean they're underpowered. It just means they contribute to victory in different ways.