You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
guinness77

Totally unique ship(s).

35 comments in this topic

Members
327 posts
4,835 battles

Here’s an interesting true story and an interesting suggestion.

Late in the War against Japan a mystery destroyer appeared on several occasions.  American fliers spotted it.  They said the destroyer was a 3 stacker, with a hull that looked American, and a castle/mast that was IJN.  It didn’t make any sense.  It wasn’t Australian.  It wasn’t Russian.  It wasn’t Canadian.  Whos’ was it?  As time marched on, the mystery destroyer continued to appear from time to time.  About the only real consistency was that the mystery ship kept appearing deep in enemy territory.  Pictures were taken of it (of lousy quality) and sent to Navy intelligence.  They didn’t know what it was.  Neither did any other allied intelligence service.  Eventually, Lots of Navy personnel had heard about the mystery ship.  And they were on the look-out for it.  Somehow, US submarines never torpedoed her.  This sort of mystery always draws a ton of attention among sailors and the intelligence community.  On October 15, 1944, Naval personnel (and others) were researching the effects of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima when someone looking over the ships at Kure/Hiroshima hollered out: “BOSS… YOU’RE NOT GONNA BELIEVE THIS!  Ya’ know that mystery ship everyones’ heard-tell about?  Well, there it is!”  Naval staff couldn’t wait to get their hands on that ship.  They finally figured out it was the USS Stewart DD224.  The Navy couldn’t believe it.  But it was.

The story is cool.  The USS Stewart was an old 4-stacker.  It served in the pacific theater and saw action.   Her steering gear was damaged in the battle of Badoeng Strait.  She also needed general repairs received in battle.  So she limped into Soerabaja and put into drydock.  Soerabaja was not a safe place to be.  The IJN was within striking distance.  But it was that or nothing.  The drydocking job was shotty.  The blocks were not properly set.  It was definitely a rush job.  As the dock began to rise, Stewart slipped off her blocks and rolled over onto her port side.  Before she could be righted, the worst that could happen DID happen....  The Japanese attacked, and they meant business.  It was a devastating smash on the entire facility.  Stewart took a direct hit by a bomb.  To make things worse, the Japanese army was fast approaching.  The Navy decided the Stewart would be blown-up and the facility evacuated.  Demolition forces were sent in and the Navy was satisfied that the Stewart was a total loss.  The Japanese stormed in and took over the base about March 4th 1942.

As it turns out, the IJN resurrected the ship.  They didn’t want it to look like an American ship because their own forces might sink it.  They didn’t want it looking like a Japanese ship because we might sink it.  So they just got her whipped back together with whatever parts they had left.  Sure enough... she didn't look like anything anyone else had sailing.  They named her Patrol Vessel 102.  Post war research showed that she partook of 2 attacks on suspected US submarines.  So she served in 2 navies… each one on opposite sides of the war. After the war the ship was sent state-side. 

Fact can be stranger than fiction… don’t you think? 

Here’s a suggestion… Since we can have ships that are totally unique in service, why not make a special ship called the Dasha Perova?  Give her great lines.  Doesn't she deserve it?

Edited by guinness77
  • Cool 6

Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles

A few things, one the Imperial Japanese Navy is abbreviated to IJN not IGN, and two I don't think we need a ship that is built just for this game because of Dasha all this ships in this game either existed in real life, were paper designs at the very least, or based of of ships from the era.

Beta Testers
1,659 posts
5,696 battles

I've mentioned this before to my friends. A premium IJN Clemson with Isokaze torpedos. Would be absolutely amazing.

[RKN]
Banned
9,382 posts
12,306 battles

I've mentioned this before to my friends. A premium IJN Clemson with Isokaze torpedos. Would be absolutely amazing.

Gotta have a torpedo appropriate for those steel balls:trollface:

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
1,089 posts
2,379 battles

Having started up the USN DD line and reached Clemson in the past couple days, this sounds like something I'd actually want. And at T4 it'd be pretty cheap, too.

[REVY]
Members
6,115 posts
5,109 battles

Having started up the USN DD line and reached Clemson in the past couple days, this sounds like something I'd actually want. And at T4 it'd be pretty cheap, too.

It would also be grossly overpowered.  Any DD armed with 12 Japanese super-torpedoes at tier 4 could nuke seals like no other ship.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
697 posts
5,722 battles

how in the world did he connect the Stewart to dasha... its a really big jump in logic... i would like to see RAMP 224 as a premium in the future, but i have no idea what any of that story has to do with dasha....

Strange that they kept her number on the bow...

they did not keep her number on the bow, the USN re-applied her number when she was re-commissioned (even if it was a VERY SHORT time in service after the commissioning)

Members
327 posts
4,835 battles

Dammit.... I do all that reading and I screw-up the IGN thing.  Should have been IJN.  Thanks guys....rookie maneuver.  I feel like I was trained to launch ICBM's but I forgot how to zip up my fly.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
697 posts
5,722 battles

It would also be grossly overpowered.  Any DD armed with 12 Japanese super-torpedoes at tier 4 could nuke seals like no other ship.

RAMP 224 was only equipped with 4 center-line mounted Type 2 450mm torpedo launchers. she did not have 12 torpedo launchers like her sisters did after the refit by the Japanese.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles

A few things, one the Imperial Japanese Navy is abbreviated to IJN not IGN, and two I don't think we need a ship that is built just for this game because of Dasha all this ships in this game either existed in real life, were paper designs at the very least, or based of of ships from the era.

Are you KIDDING?!?!?! There are so many "paper" designs in the game that sometimes I think they outnumber the "real" designs. BOTH the top two Russian DD's are made up ships, as are many DD's, BB's, and CA's and CL's currently being played right now. And this doesn't even begin to take in the number of actual ships who have had their stats "tweaked" in the name of "balance".

In reality, ALL ships in the game are nothing but an electronic representation of ships on an imaginary ocean, so stating that the ships in game are "real" or even based on "reality" is nothing but an exceedingly poor joke. The ships in the game are based on WoW providing a reasonably playable game so they can make an honest buck, and nothing more.

Members
327 posts
4,835 battles

Somehow, I knew the idea of a ship named Dasha Perova would come under fire.  Well.... I'm just grazing here.  Just kicking around ideas....

[SYN]
Members
14,851 posts
11,307 battles

It's armament during IJN ownership was far worse...

Clemson PT 102
Top speed 35 knots 26 knots
Guns

4x 102mm

-or-

8x 102mm

-or-

4x 127mm/51

2x 76mm
Torps 12x 533mm 4x 450mm Type 2
Displacement 1215t 1680t
AA 1x 76mm

14x 25mm

4x 13mm

The thing is, those 533mm IJN torps were much longer than the torps used by USN.

Edited by MrDeaf

Members
1,089 posts
2,379 battles

It's armament during IJN ownership was far worse...

*table*

The thing is, those 533mm IJN torps were much longer than the torps used by USN.

So, more Tachibana than Clemson?

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles

Which "super-torpedoes" are you referring to?

The current Mini torps which go a whole 7K at 68 knots.

The stock Mutsuki torps which only go 6K.

Or the new Mini torps which still go 7K but only at 55 knots or something like that?

Which of those torps are "OP"?

(how scared are battleship drivers of IJN DD's and their torps?)

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles

Cool story! I like the idea regardless what they would call her.

As far as Dasha goes, you did notice there wasn't a video with her with the newest update?

Edited by Wulfgarn

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
3,155 battles

The Dasha Perova huh?

Maybe take an Imperator Nikolai, and give it an Atlantic bow like the Gneisenau has, and a booty like the Iowa? :trollface:

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,435 posts
2,075 battles

The Imperial German Navy.

I mean, technically, the Imperial German Navy is still "KM" :trollface:

[SYN]
Members
14,851 posts
11,307 battles

So, more Tachibana than Clemson?

possibly even worse than Tachibana?

Which "super-torpedoes" are you referring to?

The current Mini torps which go a whole 7K at 68 knots.

The stock Mutsuki torps which only go 6K.

Or the new Mini torps which still go 7K but only at 55 knots or something like that?

Which of those torps are "OP"?

(how scared are battleship drivers of IJN DD's and their torps?)

You should go read up on torps.

Mutsuki is fitted with: Type8, 610mm x 8415mm

Minekaze is fitted with: Type92, 533mm x 7150mm

Clemson is fitted with: Mark 8, 533mm x 6510mm

PT102 is fitted with: Type2, 450mm x 5600mm (most likely)

Type 2 are super YOLO torps, because they are modified aerial torps.

Goes 3km @ 41knots

41 knots in games terms is anywhere between 60knots to 70 knots

Edited by MrDeaf

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,283 posts
10,449 battles

That was a great story thanks for sharing that. Would be great to have a two pack bundle with both versions of the ship.