Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

What Level IV Captain Skill for USN BBs?

14 comments in this topic

Members
3,064 posts
1,925 battles

German BBs, have taken the AA cake, but which Level IV skill is better? MFCAA or AFT?

I'm nearly at Wyoming and I plan to go up to the North Carolina for now.(How do I nearly have an 11 point captain? My South Cal. Captain is also the Captain of my Texas and AZ, the latter of which I probably play too much.)

Which one?

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

AFT.  Buffing the range on those Bofors guns is the best way to let your AA keep up with the Germans.

Members
726 posts
1,805 battles

AFT.  Buffing the range on those Bofors guns is the best way to let your AA keep up with the Germans.

What he said. I may not have played US BB's on live, but I've toyed with them on test server. NC can get really nice AA numbers, and phenomenal stealth at the same time. I personally think NC is probably the Jewel in the US BB line. Unlike the more famous Iowa, it can actually get up close and personal without much risk of being citadeled to death by cruisers, or even destroyers.

[ZEON]
Beta Testers
89 posts
6,248 battles

AFT+ Concentrated Secondaries= Fun Fun Fun.

But that being said, if you take Advance AA power for USN BBs, it will play greatly to North Carolina's AA guns if you division yourself with a CV player.

• Cool 1

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

Take both :).  Honestly don't care for conceal builds on my US BBs.  I went BFT, EM, SI, AFT, then MFCAA for my 14th then BoS for my 15th.  Now working towards Vig for the final long haul grind.  If you enjoy the salty tears of CV drivers as much as I do you won't regret the AA build, few things bring me as much happiness in this game.  You can literally kill an entire strike group, most before they drop and the few stragglers you finish as they are leaving.  Don't even have the B Hull on my NC yet and full AA build lower tiers can't touch me period,  can stop a Hak strike with minimal damage killing all planes, with only the full strike lex able to get maybe 2 torp bombers launched before they too are swatted down going back to the ship.  It makes my heart swell with joy.

Edited by Aeries1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Take both :).  Honestly don't care for conceal builds on my US BBs.  I went BFT, EM, SI, AFT, then MFCAA for my 14th then BoS for my 15th.  Now working towards Vig for the final long haul grind.  If you enjoy the salty tears of CV drivers as much as I do you won't regret the AA build, few things bring me as much joy in this game.  You can literally kill an entire strike group, most before they drop and the few stragglers you finish as they are leaving.  Don't even have the B Hull on my NC yet and full AA build lower tiers can't touch me period,  can stop a Hak strike with minimal damage killing all planes, with only the full strike lex able to get maybe 2 torp bombers launched before they too are swatted down going back to the ship.  It makes my heart swell with joy.

The AA build's performance still relies on RNG.  The AA mechanic's RNG is frankly one of the better and less-unfair uses of it in this game, but there will be times when your AA doesn't do its work even before HE spam blows holes in your defenses.

North Carolina doesn't give you many other choices, but the Iowa and Montana do.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

The AA build's performance still relies on RNG.  The AA mechanic's RNG is frankly one of the better and less-unfair uses of it in this game, but there will be times when your AA doesn't do its work even before HE spam blows holes in your defenses.

North Carolina doesn't give you many other choices, but the Iowa and Montana do.

​Yeah, have experienced bad RNG a couple of times now, but more times than not its melt city vs planes.  Very true HE over time starts knocking out those bofors and 20mm, but you don't lose the secondary's as often.  With MFCAA the 5" becomes your top damage dealer at 366 DPS (with flag) out to 7.2 km with I think the bofors knocking on 200 DPS out to 5.2 I believe.  I think where it has an edge over German's is their middle and inner ring isn't near as strong and with most going full secondary builds you probably won't see many MFCAA  German BBs running around.

Really the only difference is the other mod slot Iowa and Montana get, and while it is a choice between quick reloads or increased accuracy (I wouldn't take the AA boost), still not going to hamper their AA effectiveness in my opinon.

Members
29 posts
1,904 battles

What he said. I may not have played US BB's on live, but I've toyed with them on test server. NC can get really nice AA numbers, and phenomenal stealth at the same time. I personally think NC is probably the Jewel in the US BB line. Unlike the more famous Iowa, it can actually get up close and personal without much risk of being citadeled to death by cruisers, or even destroyers.

But the concealment on the Iowa is only .4 worse with concealment build.  It can do everything the NC can in that department and it has more accurate guns, better shell arc, better gun arc, and noticeably faster speed.  AA is roughly the same, but it has longer reaching secondaries so they actually go out to 9.1 with the secondary upgrade.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

​Yeah, have experienced bad RNG a couple of times now, but more times than not its melt city vs planes.  Very true HE over time starts knocking out those bofors and 20mm, but you don't lose the secondary's as often.  With MFCAA the 5" becomes your top damage dealer at 366 DPS (with flag) out to 7.2 km with I think the bofors knocking on 200 DPS out to 5.2 I believe.  I think where it has an edge over German's is their middle and inner ring isn't near as strong and with most going full secondary builds you probably won't see many MFCAA  German BBs running around.

Really the only difference is the other mod slot Iowa and Montana get, and while it is a choice between quick reloads or increased accuracy (I wouldn't take the AA boost), still not going to hamper their AA effectiveness in my opinon.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the Germans' edge - though I would add that WG's emphasis on dual-purpose damage output (in how DPS numbers have been adjusted) is the only reason why their AA can compete.  If we were using CBT or OBT AA damage models, they'd suck as bad at shooting down planes as they do taking torpedoes.

But a "full AA" build for Iowa and Montana involves using AAGM3.  What I was saying is that a true "full AA" build on those ships isn't as viable as on North Carolina because even if the hybrid AA build on those ships matches NC's full AA build, they're forsaking an AA upgrade for a main battery upgrade in most cases (i.e. the third module slot).

Members
726 posts
1,805 battles

But the concealment on the Iowa is only .4 worse with concealment build.  It can do everything the NC can in that department and it has more accurate guns, better shell arc, better gun arc, and noticeably faster speed.  AA is roughly the same, but it has longer reaching secondaries so they actually go out to 9.1 with the secondary upgrade.

Yes, but the Iowa's citadel is a lot easier to hit at close range than NC's. Unless your opponent knows the trick to hitting NC's soft innards, she's going to survive a hell of a lot longer in a brawl than Iowa. Get too close in an Iowa and you need to worry about cruisers and maybe even destroyers citadeling you if they get your side. NC, not so much, since her entire citadel is below the waterline, and is still covered by 165-305mm of armor.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

Secondaries Build Montana is actually rather amusing.  It's not as long ranged as Yamato and GK but it's respectably long and puts out a lot of gunfire.

The only caveat to that is if a Tier IX / X CV sees your AA stats aren't high, he's coming right for you.  Then again, CVs are super rare at these tiers.

Still, AFT all the way.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Secondaries Build Montana is actually rather amusing.  It's not as long ranged as Yamato and GK but it's respectably long and puts out a lot of gunfire.

The only caveat to that is if a Tier IX / X CV sees your AA stats aren't high, he's coming right for you.  Then again, CVs are super rare at these tiers.

Still, AFT all the way.

Montana with just AFT already pushes 100 AA rating, they can't tell anything else about you past that.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

But a "full AA" build for Iowa and Montana involves using AAGM3.  What I was saying is that a true "full AA" build on those ships isn't as viable as on North Carolina because even if the hybrid AA build on those ships matches NC's full AA build, they're forsaking an AA upgrade for a main battery upgrade in most cases (i.e. the third module slot).

No I 100% agree.  Since NC doesn't get the last module a full AA build is ok.  I would never advocate taking AAGM3 for Iowa or Montana, there just isn't enough CV population to warrant it.  If they do make a comeback with the long awaited CV overhaul it would be troll worthy, another 30% damage on top of what they already put out.............they would never clear the mid-ring Bofors, even in a full strike.  As it is now once I get there I just wouldn't pass up on the accuracy or reload mod in this meta

Montana with just AFT already pushes 100 AA rating, they can't tell anything else about you past that.

Yep, anything over 100 doesn't even show.  More importantly MFCAA doesn't affect your AA rating either, even if you are below 100, which can be quite the surprise when they try to bring planes in.

Sign in to follow this