Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xPapa_Smurfx

MM does need a minor tweak

24 comments in this topic

Members
306 posts
4,777 battles

I understand the whole 2 up or down routine, I do, and for the most part the MM puts in a good mix, but it simply needs a few minor tweaks.  Three matches in a row in my RN Gift box (HMS Emerald, nothing but tasty goodness for the enemy team) I was the lone Tier V in an all Tier VII battle.  No.  Not fun, not enjoyable, not profitable, not even long enough to be called a match.  MM simply can't do that, mix the tiers, yes, power squash a lone tier V or tier VII in a tier IX battle, or whatever.  Because the match up is instantaneous.  I'll wait for three minutes to get a match up where I might actually do something productive, but MM shouldn't stuff me in an impossible situation just to get me in a match in 3 seconds.  Take a breath MM and give us better match ups.  Not executions.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

This is due to the restricted MM for T4 and down which makes T5 and T6 more likely to be uptiered. This was to help the lower tiers not have to face ships 2 tiers above but as you have pointed out it has led to far more uptiering at T5 and T6.

• Cool 1

Members
306 posts
4,777 battles

This is due to the restricted MM for T4 and down which makes T5 and T6 more likely to be uptiered. This was to help the lower tiers not have to face ships 2 tiers above but as you have pointed out it has led to far more uptiering at T5 and T6.

​I think you are right here, but now the T4 death sentence effect just moved up a tier, LOL!
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,318 battles

I promise it gets more fun when you get a tier 7 and get to squish all the tier 5s.

Which does absolutely NOTHING to solve OP's issue.

(thank you for being completely and totally unhelpful)

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

I promise it gets more fun when you get a tier 7 and get to squish all the tier 5s.

Weirdly my tier 7s were bottom tier in 9 out of 10 matches yesterday. It was very unusual.

A few of them were even the OP's situation-- At least twice I was the only tier 7 in the entire game. Which is super fun when you're a Kiev or a Nagato. Not so fun when you're a Myoko.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo
  • Cool 1

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

Which does absolutely NOTHING to solve OP's issue.

(thank you for being completely and totally unhelpful)

Well someone's grumpy.

What could possibly be said on the forums the going to fix OPs issue of being up tiered? That's the state of the match making now, 5's see 7's, and 7's see 9's. the only light at the end of the tunnel right now is when you reach tier 7 it happens less and when you reach tier 10 you can laugh as you crush everything smaller than you and then come to the forums and cry because you lost credits anyways.

Until wargaming does something this is the game.

Edited by Darth_Caedus_
  • Cool 2

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

Weirdly my tier 7s were bottom tier in 9 out of 10 matches yesterday. It was very unusual.

A few of them were even the OP's situation-- At least twice I was the only tier 7 in the entire game. Which is super fun when you're a Kiev or a Nagato. Not so fun when you're a Myoko.

Lol same, bottom tier almost every match and a few times of being the only or one of the few bottom tier.

Per usual I put on my big boy pants and did what I could until I got frustrated and switched to the skyrim remaster to crush NPC''s with my op stealth bow elf.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Lol same, bottom tier almost every match and a few times of being the only or one of the few bottom tier.

Per usual I put on my big boy pants and did what I could until I got frustrated and switched to the skyrim remaster to crush NPC''s with my op stealth bow elf.

I powered through until I got my second container, then stopped for the day.

Members
304 posts
4,008 battles

I understand the whole 2 up or down routine, I do, and for the most part the MM puts in a good mix, but it simply needs a few minor tweaks.  Three matches in a row in my RN Gift box (HMS Emerald, nothing but tasty goodness for the enemy team) I was the lone Tier V in an all Tier VII battle.  No.  Not fun, not enjoyable, not profitable, not even long enough to be called a match.  MM simply can't do that, mix the tiers, yes, power squash a lone tier V or tier VII in a tier IX battle, or whatever.  Because the match up is instantaneous.  I'll wait for three minutes to get a match up where I might actually do something productive, but MM shouldn't stuff me in an impossible situation just to get me in a match in 3 seconds.  Take a breath MM and give us better match ups.  Not executions.

You're right. This is a famous problem that needs fixing, and which has been discussed on the forum numerous times.  One of the other threads on it is massive.

For what it's worth, one of the Devs commented upon it, to the effect, 'we are aware of the issue.'  Not much of a comment, granted. 

• Cool 2

[CANUK]
Members
164 posts
36,275 battles

I agree with you that MM needs an overhaul.  I play mainly T5s cause I love the Minekase and Kamikaze, but to go up against T7s over 75% of the time cause me much pain and suffering.  Even when I just to T6s I see more T8 battles than I want, hardly ever the top tier unless I do play T7s or even 8s.  Seems to be better at T8s meaning not 75% of the time, but still see 9s and 10s.

Do us a favor and try to make it fair and not stick so many T5s in T7 battles...we are just fodder for the big boys and maybe my win rate will go up a half a point or so.  :)

[TULIP]
Members
952 posts
12,669 battles

eh, I don't see much of an issue.  Almost all my ships scale up well, mostly just need to be more conservative in those situations.  But I only have ships that I like, little different if you're grinding something you don't like.  I'd pick better teammates over higher tier ships.  I'd take my Konig over a Colorado, but an Emerald is a different story.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

There is a way to ameliorate the problem. Get in a div of 3, all T5s. MM will try to match that, improving the number of T5s in the games. That works especially well if 2 are BBs. It doesn't get rid of the problem of WG deciding to screw the two most popular tiers in the game, but it improves the odds a bit. 

[CVRME]
[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,942 posts
10,652 battles

Its almost as if pope shizzle's thread about reverting the awful matchmaking changes is needed to un-ruin the most played tiers of the game...

• Cool 1

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

It's not changing. Wargaming has created a free XP pay wall, they aren't going to tear it down so people can club Tier 3s in their decked out T5s like it used to be.

[WOLFD]
Members
976 posts

If there is only 1 or 2 Tier 5 ships in the match, not much T5 squishing to do. 

I do agree with OP, the MM needs some tweaking.

Beta Testers
8 posts
25,256 battles

Playing tier 5 - 7 is for right now a complete miserable experience because of this. Over and Over and OVER again, no matter what I face a ton of ships two tiers higher than me, I do a minimal amount of damage and lose. There is just no fun in that, at all. This game is supposed to be fun, however it's not.

Edited by Rikus

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

T5 just needs to be restricted to being uptiered by 1; only seeing T6 battles.  Or if necessary, only T5 cruisers see +1, while every other T5 class sees +2.

Anything else above from T6 onwards is fine for a maximum of being uptiered by 2, since T6 onwards can manage seeing up to 2 tiers higher with some difficulty, but nowhere near as difficult as a T5 seeing up to T7.

The only thing I'd miss is being able to torpedo Scharn with Kongou while 12" shells and torpedoes do little to stop me from doing so.  The sheer rage that happens when I do so is hilarious.

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

They also need to fix the problem of playing T10 solo. Mathematically you're almost always going to be facing a three-man T10 unicum division on the other team.

You can't wait for another unicum division to queue up but you can swap same tier/class ships to balance out the massive skill divide. Since the players have already been selected it would not affect queue times. 

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,090 battles

To the OP's issue, yes there is no reason you should be the only tier 5 with maybe just MAYBE one other tier 5 in the match vs tier 7s. That's basically bend over and don't clench, it will hurt less.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

If it's any consolation it usually means that you are playing well, ::adjusts tin foil cap::

Members
415 posts
6,404 battles

I decided to try something different, and kitted out a Konig (I play mostly dds but some cruisers as well).   I played 4 games in it, and all 4 were tier 7.   I don't like to whine, and I didn't,  but I'm thinking, what must it be like to be a new player coming up through the ranks and hitting tier 5.  Wow, I'd imagine it would be disheartening experience for someone new to the game.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

Unless, of course, you get stuck vs a whole slew of North Carolinas, Tirpitz, Iowas, etc.   Then you still get bent over.

I seem to get this every time I bring out Yorck...  Or Colorado.   Why can't I get Omahas and New Yorks to pummel???  :(

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

Unless, of course, you get stuck vs a whole slew of North Carolinas, Tirpitz, Iowas, etc.   Then you still get bent over.

I seem to get this every time I bring out Yorck...  Or Colorado.   Why can't I get Omahas and New Yorks to pummel???  :(

Oh absolutely. I mean it seems to happen a little less when you reach tier 7, most of the time my biggest up tier is 8's.

But there are definitely still those games where I look at the teams and I'm he only tier 7 in a match full of 8's and 9's.

Sign in to follow this