You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_uO7eEzhrDxsi

Any Koenig Captains out there?

29 comments in this topic

Members
687 posts

Any of you guys still sailing the Koenig? I really enjoy that ship but suffer with the current MM and fighting off T7s. Any tips would be appreciated. I've been trying to stay with a group and watching my angle. anything else I can be doing?

[SUR-2]
[SUR-2]
Members
201 posts
9,159 battles

Use your good accuracy (for a german bb) and take out the cruisers first, use islands wise to get more survival vs bb7. Don't sail alone.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
269 posts
8,297 battles

That is most of the advice I would have. The only other thing is to make sure to shoot broadside targets first. With the higher tier ships, will be that much harder to get damage on angled ships. 

You can still do well in T7 games. Just yesterday i was 2nd in xp on my team with a victory in a T7 game.

Beta Testers
1,529 posts
1,148 battles

Don't sail broadside, best advice that can be given for any ship. Don't be afraid to load HE if the only target you have is an angled BB and shoot him in the superstructure.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

I'm just wrapping it up. My general battleship MO serves me well in König: in top-tier matches, I mostly stick to AP and put myself as close to enemy battleships as is safe—König in particular allows for very sharp angles with all guns borne; In bottom-tier matches, I try to focus on survival. I'm not above firing HE on angled battleships.

At long ranges against battleship artillery (even 11") it's always better to sit at 45° than to go mostly bow-on. This is because your citadel is very difficult to reach from the side, whereas your upper bow is overmatched by 11" artillery, and the forward citadel bulkhead is not difficult to find after that. That changes when you're in close, since flatter arcs mean that your lower bow must be penetrated for a bow-on citadel hit, and ain't nobody overpenning a heavily-angled 135mm belted bow. In fact, you're almost immune to AP damage when you're close-in and bow-on.

Also, when you're up against enemy German battleships, aim for the upper belt with your AP (or the bottom half of the bow/stern if they're showing broadside and they're close enough). You're not going to score citadel hits, but you can jam a lot of AP into places where it won't leave the ship before it fuses.

Edited by Special_Kay

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Ive bid a fond farewell to the Konig, after lots of enjoyment.  Others have summarized it well.  Leverage your accuracy to target cruisers first, then broadside BBs. Don't be afraid to switch to HE to take on DDs or angling BBs.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Yep, don't be afraid to use more HE on BBs when uptiered. I find Expert Loader skill quite helpful. In Tier 7 matches, I tend to play it more as a "cruiser leader" than a BB.

I kept Konig when I moved onto Bayern. Pretty sure it's a permanent keeper. :)

Edited by Skpstr

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,649 battles

I love mine.

If in a T7 game I try to go places BBs don't normally go, backing up the cruisers and destroyers.

Don't be afraid to pull back and use a few heal charges.

DO NOT BOW-ON REVERSE. Either plan your course so you have an island to turn around behind or take your chances turning around in open water. You are an XPpiniata trying to sail in reverse.

Getting into secondary range is almost always a good idea if you can do so without getting focused or taking too much damage.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

In a T7 game the most important thing to do is check the enemy team, note the T7 BBs, pay attention to where they show up on the map, and avoid their attention as much as possible while you target cruisers. 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Konig is one of the most overpowered ships in the game....

0sPXr9t.png

[K-P-M]
Members
1,616 posts
18,452 battles

In a T7 game the most important thing to do is check the enemy team, note the T7 BBs, pay attention to where they show up on the map, and avoid their attention as much as possible while you target cruisers. 

That exactly^^^^^

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

Look for me in game, happy to div Koenigs. She's a lovely ship, and very easy to play. 

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
4,530 battles

Konig is one of those special cases where it punches very well above its weight - and when facing tiers well above yours, HE is still a very viable option.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,914 battles

Don't forget,

Armor does not absorb HE damage. HE shells can penetrate or not penetrate armor (HE penetration does not count angles, range, etc - only armor thickness, and its value is 1/6 of caliber - 1/4 for German BBs).

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

0sPXr9t.png

Followed by Kaiser lol....

[STW]
Beta Testers
1,984 posts
10,616 battles

I recommend aiming for upper deck or superstructure on all BBs outside of 10km even same tier.  There are of course exceptions like the kongo, but generally you are looking for reliable consistent penetration damage rather then citadels.  Because of this, uptiering in the konig is relatively painless as superstructure and that deck armor improves very little, your damage output stays roughly the same.

Members
687 posts

Awesome advice guys! You brought up a lot of things I had not even conceived of. What I had been trying to do was stay close to friendly uptier BBs and give them cruiser support and help fire on enemy BBs when they have them targeted. this had not worked out well for me, either due to the tactic itself or my inexperience. You guys have given me a lot more than i hoped for. Thanks!

Prushn

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

If you are going against higher tier BBs with the Konig sometimes you have to give up on Citadel hits and aim for normal penetrations in the upper belt or bow or other places. You can still do 8+k damage with a good salvo in those places and your shells wont break up against the lighter armor. 

Not sure how PVE is relevant to this, since PVE  is always mirror matchups. 
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Not sure how PVE is relevant to this, since PVE  is always mirror matchups. 

What's wrong with a balanced environment? 

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

What's wrong with a balanced environment? 

I am just not sure what that has to do with the OPs question about dealing with being under tiered a lot. 

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

I am just not sure what that has to do with the OPs question about dealing with being under tiered a lot. 

Ah, I see

Members
314 posts
2,035 battles

I always try to knock out cruisers first, even if they are two tiers above you can consistently pen them and blow the out of the water in a couple salvos top.

I then work with my other ships (if possible) to focus down the higher tier BBs.

Edited by Darth_Caedus_