You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kraztec

ATL Range

36 comments in this topic

[KRAZ]
Beta Testers
66 posts
2,483 battles

Am I the only one, or does the range on the ATL seem like the literal only letdown for this ship? Everything else with it just seems beyond amazing..

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

I can only guess that you mean the Atlanta? Please use your keyboard as you so obviously can....

And no, her range is fine.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

With AFT it isnt too bad, plus you wont be hitting much with more range due to the crazy high arc.

[KRAZ]
Beta Testers
66 posts
2,483 battles

ATL is obviously abbreviation for Atlanta and 11.0 isn't very far considering similar tiers have 15-16k range..

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

If your talking about the Atlanta, then no, while the range is kinda short I couldn't anything father away so extra range would be worthless.

[KRAZ]
Beta Testers
66 posts
2,483 battles

At the same time, the fire rate and HE damage is amazing, makes up for it to me. Absolutely loving my short time with this ship so far

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
755 posts
23,849 battles

ATL is obviously abbreviation for Atlanta and 11.0 isn't very far considering similar tiers have 15-16k range..

Wait my Atlanta has an airport? I thought it just had a Saturn V launch pad or 16

The range is fine tbh. Both 11.1 and 13.3 km ranges are fine. Any farther out and Mars may have to duck for cover.

• Cool 3

[KRAZ]
Beta Testers
66 posts
2,483 battles

The damage for the range is amazing, but the fact Tier 5's, let alone similar tiers default at 15 just kind of makes me feel this ship is weak as hell compared to. Just wanted to see if others felt the same

Members
6,885 posts
14,856 battles

Just wanted to see if others felt the same

Not me - more range on a roman candle would just make it way OP.  One support ship and an Atlanta can melt my BB in less than 2 minutes - at the ATL range.

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,458 battles

No one's mentioned Concealment Expert?  Between AFT and CE a 15-point captain serves Atlanta well...in fact she almost demands an experienced captain.  She's sort of special like that.  Also, I may be the only one that thinks this, but Atlanta isn't a very good Captain trainer because of the fact that she at least needs a 10 point captain to really be effective.  I learned the hard way that she's not great at training captains.  If you're looking for a captain trainer, get a USN BB premium.

Members
212 posts
5,354 battles

I think after you play the ship a while, you'll find the range to be more of a quirk than it is a flaw.  Would the Atlanta be better with loner range? Of course.   Does the Atlanta need to have longer range to be worth what we pay for her?  No way.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,871 battles

I haven't been playing it much lately.

Seems the turrets have slowed down a bit.  They used to zip around, but now, they just - kind of - crawl around.  180 times have probably doubled.

I used to pull this trick where I pretended I didn't see this ship coming up close on one side:

I would fire torps at it, then target a ship on the other side.

The ship I targeted would think I'm focused on someone else - so they wouldn't change course.  After about 10 seconds, I'd twist the turrets around and start firing at the original target - just as the torps show up.

For some strange reason, the turrets couldn't snap back -- within 5 seconds.. waiting... waiting....  I was ASTONISHED.  I right clicked to see what was going on...  The Nagato turrets move faster than this.

Must be some new RNG malfunction.

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,458 battles

Well not to beat a dead horse, but here I go....Atlanta really should have it's shell arcs adjusted.....just a tad.  I'm not asking for Russian flatness or laser beams.  Just something a bit more bareable.  Maybe SLIGHTLY worse than high tiered RNCLs.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,873 posts
11,560 battles

does the range on the ATL seem like the literal only letdown for this ship? 

4.5km range torpedoes with a firing arc that can be charitably called suicidal would like a word with you.

Other than that, it's a great ship albeit difficult to play well.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

This might help as the Atlanta has a very special playstyle unlike most cruisers.

Edited by RipNuN2

[KRAZ]
Beta Testers
66 posts
2,483 battles

In no way am I bashing it.. I was just curious if anyone felt tier for tier it's got the shaft for range. I hold my own in it regardless what I face, BB Cruiser DD or carrier(may just be the captain not the ship) but I felt more like 10.7-11 was more a Tier 4 base stat before upgrade. That's all really

[KRAZ]
Beta Testers
66 posts
2,483 battles

I really was debating Atago vs Atlanta when I bought these 3 prems Friday, and Atlanta was almost a I MUST have kind of decision. Atago may be coming to the fleet this weekend but also debating the Saipan lol..

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

Am I the only one, or does the range on the ATL seem like the literal only letdown for this ship? Everything else with it just seems beyond amazing..

The range is short, but it's not a letdown. Some things to remember:

• If you don't fire your guns at that range, you can't be seen.
  • You're a narrow, wiggly ship, so you are a difficult target at 10 km if you WASD hack and run away.
  • At 10km, your shells are in the air for about the same time as a BB's rudder shift, making them the only aware targets you are likely to hit (though you can sometimes catch cruisers who don't pay attention).
  • At 6km, your shells have a flight time similar to a DD's rudder shift, meaning that no one can dodge after you fire and hope to evade, and if you are good at leading you will hit with most shells most of the time.
  • At 10km, a BB or CA's shells fly faster than you can shift your rudder, meaning that they are more accurate in a long range duel than you are.
  • If your range is extended with AFT, your long-range accuracy as compared to a BB or CA only gets worse, while theirs stays about the same out to 15km or more because your shells lose more speed than theirs.
  • At ranges under 7km, your HE will delete DDs in under 30 seconds.
  • At ranges under 7km, your AP will delete broadside cruisers in 2 volleys.
  • At 14 km, a BB or CA will delete you in two volleys.
  • Your radar has an 8.5 km range.

What all of this means is that nothing you should be doing in an Atlanta involves shooting at long range. Long range shooting is only for when you are running away screaming, and only for as long as it takes to get out of detection range. You can stay undetected outside your gun range, and that is what you should strive for, because even if you could shoot 15km you can't hit anything that far away, while the ships which can delete you can still hit.

Edited by inktomi19d

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

What all of this means is that nothing you should be doing in an Atlanta involves shooting at long range. Long range shooting is only for when you are running away screaming, and only for as long as it takes to get out of detection range. You can stay undetected outside your gun range, and that is what you should strive for, because even if you could shoot 15km you can't hit anything that far away, while the ships which can delete you can still hit.

There are a few exceptions, which don't occur very often, but often enough to suggest them.

1.  As long as no one can focus fire you, long range volley's at spotted DDs can pay off. Use it if you are not otherwise stalking the DD (i.e., stay undetected until they get closer and then surprise them).  Don't try to get a bulls-eye long range shot.  Just try to predict the general vicinity the DD will be in over TOF, and spray all around that point.  Shotgun approach.  Even if you don't hit the DD, you put a lot of stress on the captain.  Sometimes you do hit 'em, for some damage.  And when you detonate one (play Atlanta long enough, and you will get one)...it's like...Damn!     

2.  If the enemy (usually a BB) is otherwise preoccupied with another friendly, and there are no other enemies that can focus on you, then go ahead and rain fire on that enemy.  Watch their turrets.  If they take focus off the friendly, stop shooting and go invisible.  If they return focus to your friendly, start firing again.  This works extremely well if you are teamed with a friendly BB.     

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

True, but don't forget, other CA/CLs aren't using DD guns.

And those 5" guns have double the range they do on any other US CA that carries them as secondaries.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

It is cool as hell, isn't it? I love the thing. The range only bothers me on big open maps. Other than that, I'm fine with it.