Since the post is still actively discussed and tended to, I'll drop my opinions here.
First of all, the word cheat/cheating here, refers to the activity of using illegal mods/aiming assisting software in WOWS. I do not care about motivations.
1. Simply looking at stats is never good enough to condemn one of cheating and it should not be, because you never know how good or bad people can be. To be clear, speculation and accusation are two totally different ballgames.
2. I deem a player cheating, because I see the person sending his own screenshots with illegal mods or aiming assist app overlaying the game interface. Not because the person has some wicked stat number like 79% main battery hit ratio or a replay file that shows target hits at exactly where it should be for an entire match. Wicked stats are at best memes.
3. I don't like people cheating in games at all, but I leave the judgement to WG when it comes to managing this situation in WOWS. I am a player who may have or may have not paid for items & virtual currencies in this game, all I can do about it is making suggestions (or complaining, in a specific format).
4. In turn, I don't wish to see people accusing individual players of cheating simply because they hit targets when normally could not, or they anticipated movements without detection or having weapons locked-on, etc. NOT that I have sympathy for such players, but I take this matter very seriously that I could not treat this lightly without having REAL evidence. Stats, replays files are NOT evidence in this case. I do not wish to explain further why these 2 not warrant the verdict for cheating.
5. After playing more than 10K games since OBT myself, I still don't know what EXACTLY warrants punishment for cheating. I've seen people getting 7-day ban for installing a mod that's of pure aesthetic function (usually weeaboo stuff, no hard feelings there) or just a private language mod. While in the meantime some people who have been sending screenshots of hags overlayed games since last year get to roam freely and grind their way up in the rankings (Yes I saw those screenshots with my own eyes). All I have felt is inconsistency in WG's attitude towards making the WOWS community cheat-free.
I guess all I want in this is: WG needs to define cheating in WOWS more directly and with details, so people would know what are do's and what are don'ts. Should there be a clear ruleset or even a piece of law, may there be just ground in dealing with this delicate matter of using unauthorized methods in game.
And please keep in mind. At the end of the day, WG's attitude and deeds will determine the fate of this game, NOT the fate of any players. We are always free to come together and go away. Our choices can be influenced but not determined by others, because we make our own calls and movements in everything in our lives.