just some quick background: Brand new CV player here (yes I'm one of those guys that never bothered to touch carriers). When I heard of the re-work beta, i went ahead and signed up but also tried a few games of original current cv gameplay, seemed like generic topdown strategy game, was meh.
Today I tried the new rework and honestly I think I like the classic way better. I am not at all impressed. My two biggest gripes:
1) We should be able to launch and control multiple squadrons. I understand this creates the issue of alpha strikes, but i don't think it will be as bad as classic gameplay because you can still only control one squadron at a time.
2) I absolutely dislike the fact that I launch a wing of 6 planes, yet I put all of my planes in the line of fire going to the target, and only 2 of them can shoot per run. Furthermore after the run completes, the planes circle around the target, eating up even more shrapnel, dying, and not really doing their job. This makes absolutely no sense to me. If they're not dropping payload on the run, they don't need to be going down to the target.
My proposed solutions:
1) allow airplanes to be guided by AI, and attack by AI but at a big accuracy penalty. I feel like the type of gameplay for a CV should involve some level of macro management; therefore allow carrier player to freely control his own ship and each one of his multiple squadrons by hopping around in 3rd person view. Also, allow player to guide the main aircraft in the squad manually.. yaw ,roll, pitch.
2) I am still unsure what the design thought process was behind sending an entire squadron, but not engaging all payloads in the squadron while on a run. It is not logical. Instead i propose 2 ways this can be fixed:
either A) Have player set a staging area where squadron goes on hold before they attack, then the 2/6 (for example) planes doing the run, are the only ones that head for the target, if they survive they head back to staging, after some delay (while planes return) then the next 2 go and so on until all have expended their payload. At any time this staging location can be moved but not while planes are sent for a target run. then captain skills later on can be trained to increase # of planes that go for active target run.
OR B) Set a hard limit for amount of planes for each squad coming out of CV to 3. I feel like this is a good number for a squad that has to be manually controlled. they all fire at same time if they make it alive to target and then they return.
3) buff all ships AA, not in damage wise, but control wise. Your steps to focus on a particular side for AA are on the right direction, but I think instead you should give ability to switch to complete manual fire (via a crosshair for all aa guns simulatneously, similar to how main batteries are fired). I feel this would create an even more challenging, yet fun and rewarding experience at engaging a cv player vs a ship player in battle (when planes are involved)