Friendly Torpedo Spotting

A heads up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Legal_Legend #1 Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:13 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Friendly torpedo hits are an avoidable situation, with a little help and a heads up. I would like to suggest that the development team explore the possibility of extending the cone of trajectory for the torpedoes across the path of friendly ships as a visual warning.

We currently have the torpedo warning icon and direction they are approaching from, extending the trajectory cone would make avoidance a simpler matter. As it stands now you most change you point of view to see if your path intersect and what you need to do to avoid them. This often times exposes you to enemy fire.

To limit the amount of code or burden on the program, the trajectory cone be limited to 1km +/- distance either side of the ship. In a nature similar to the smoke screens laid down by DD's. The program currently knows a torpedo is on your path and how close it is.

Thoughts? Additional idea?

USA: Gearing, Fletcher, Benson, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Sims, Arizona & Texas Japan: Izumo, Yugumo, Shokaku, Atago, Amagi, Shinonome, Ishizuchi, Katori & Tachibana

German: Hindenburg, Friedrich der GroBe, Bismark, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Leberecht Maass & Graf Spee   British: Minotaur, Belfast and Warspite Russian: Moskva, Tashkent, Ognevoi, Mikhail Kutuzov, Chapayev, Budyonny, Molotov, Murmansk & Nikolai  Polish: Blyskawica Pan-Asian: Lo Yang & Anshan French: La Galissonniere Italian: Duca d'Aosta

pewpewpew42 #2 Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

Nah, just have the targeting thingy (white section) on the torps go red if it also intersects with a friendly ship.
light.png

Legal_Legend #3 Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

View Postpewpewpew42, on 30 September 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Nah, just have the targeting thingy (white section) on the torps go red if it also intersects with a friendly ship.

But friendly's can and do sail into the path. The OP was more focused on the avoidance of the blind fired torpedos.

USA: Gearing, Fletcher, Benson, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Sims, Arizona & Texas Japan: Izumo, Yugumo, Shokaku, Atago, Amagi, Shinonome, Ishizuchi, Katori & Tachibana

German: Hindenburg, Friedrich der GroBe, Bismark, Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, Leberecht Maass & Graf Spee   British: Minotaur, Belfast and Warspite Russian: Moskva, Tashkent, Ognevoi, Mikhail Kutuzov, Chapayev, Budyonny, Molotov, Murmansk & Nikolai  Polish: Blyskawica Pan-Asian: Lo Yang & Anshan French: La Galissonniere Italian: Duca d'Aosta

Slick201 #4 Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View Postpewpewpew42, on 30 September 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

That's a pretty good idea. 

View PostLegal_Legend, on 30 September 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

But friendly's can and do sail into the path. The OP was more focused on the avoidance of the blind fired torpedos.

I'm sure that this been suggested before, Why not simply double the detection range of friendly torpedoes vs. enemy torpedoes?    

Edited by Slick201, 30 September 2016 - 06:44 PM.

StLouis - Karlsruhe - Königsberg - Nürnberg - Yorck - Admiral Hipper - nig - Bayern - Gneisenau - Bismarck - Roon

http://www.taskforce16.us/home

kenki11 #5 Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

To be honest most "awareness" things come from the friendly ship not being aware of what is going on from the prospective of the destroyer. Hence the golden rule of "If you even THINK a ship will drive into it, don't fire" while destroyers make up a fair chunk of the forum population, I still seee SOOOO many pinkies even at tier 7, you wouldn't believe how many ships will run into you when you type before the match "warning my ship is going to move in a patrol loop from blank to blank".

I wish they had made a video about torpedo awareness a bit more, jingles fights the good fight explaining that destroyers have a 70/30 relationship of being at fault for friendly torp damage, but the 30% refuses to acknowledge they should / could  of quickly jerked the camra / looked at the mini map / yada yada between shots. IE: Tunnel vision. Hence why destroyers have the 70% responsibility to ALWAYS keep that tunnel vision mentality in mind when near friendly ships. 

Another example I mean about torpedo awareness is watching out for destroyer typical behavior, ie: If you see islands.. give the DD room , he may be launching torps at the sides to clear the way for you or an enemy DD may be launching torps doing the same for his team. At higher tiers torpedoes are less about damage and more about area control and cat herding. It's one of the things BB skippers have a hard time grasping in destroyer / anti-destroyer roles , and cry when they get face checked by random torpedoes.

Heck had a ranked game once I stood completely still for a good 2 minutes on land of fire in an ambush position, fired a set of torpedoes and not even 1 second out of my blind spot an Atlanta using a speed boost ran into my torpedoes at 2km off my stern he knew I was parked and was in a torpedo position and could of went to the other side of the ship (Even my guns were pointed in my torpedo heading), but refused to just go to the other side of my ship. Got poi'd and complained all match long,. Both sides chewed the atlanta driver all match long for that saying that was not a bright move the Atlanta did. Honestly can't say I have sympathy when a skipper has no common sense, I cannot be completely responceable when I told in team chat what I was doing, my ship was at dead stop for 2 mins, and my turrets are pointed where i am torpedoed, 

So yeah I do believe they should make torpedo's highlight on the minimap , or at least a flash or something to call attention that friendly torpedos are in the water incoming at this sector if a friendly ship is within a map square or two of the possible spread to give them a warning. :p 

+1 op

Legal_Legend #6 Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Bump

Shadow_1964 #7 Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Postkenki11, on 30 September 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

To be honest most "awareness" things come from the friendly ship not being aware of what is going on from the prospective of the destroyer. Hence the golden rule of "If you even THINK a ship will drive into it, don't fire" while destroyers make up a fair chunk of the forum population, I still seee SOOOO many pinkies even at tier 7, you wouldn't believe how many ships will run into you when you type before the match "warning my ship is going to move in a patrol loop from blank to blank".

I wish they had made a video about torpedo awareness a bit more, jingles fights the good fight explaining that destroyers have a 70/30 relationship of being at fault for friendly torp damage, but the 30% refuses to acknowledge they should / could  of quickly jerked the camra / looked at the mini map / yada yada between shots. IE: Tunnel vision. Hence why destroyers have the 70% responsibility to ALWAYS keep that tunnel vision mentality in mind when near friendly ships. 

Another example I mean about torpedo awareness is watching out for destroyer typical behavior, ie: If you see islands.. give the DD room , he may be launching torps at the sides to clear the way for you or an enemy DD may be launching torps doing the same for his team. At higher tiers torpedoes are less about damage and more about area control and cat herding. It's one of the things BB skippers have a hard time grasping in destroyer / anti-destroyer roles , and cry when they get face checked by random torpedoes.

Heck had a ranked game once I stood completely still for a good 2 minutes on land of fire in an ambush position, fired a set of torpedoes and not even 1 second out of my blind spot an Atlanta using a speed boost ran into my torpedoes at 2km off my stern he knew I was parked and was in a torpedo position and could of went to the other side of the ship (Even my guns were pointed in my torpedo heading), but refused to just go to the other side of my ship. Got poi'd and complained all match long,. Both sides chewed the atlanta driver all match long for that saying that was not a bright move the Atlanta did. Honestly can't say I have sympathy when a skipper has no common sense, I cannot be completely responceable when I told in team chat what I was doing, my ship was at dead stop for 2 mins, and my turrets are pointed where i am torpedoed, 

So yeah I do believe they should make torpedo's highlight on the minimap , or at least a flash or something to call attention that friendly torpedos are in the water incoming at this sector if a friendly ship is within a map square or two of the possible spread to give them a warning. :p 

+1 op

Yeah. I agree with Jingles. Too many people just don't want to take responsibility for not paying attention to their surroundings. I don't care WHAT the mindless, carefree "the responsibility is all on the DD" types say. They are wrong.

Lance53 #8 Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLegal_Legend, on 30 September 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

Friendly torpedo hits are an avoidable situation, with a little help and a heads up. I would like to suggest that the development team explore the possibility of extending the cone of trajectory for the torpedoes across the path of friendly ships as a visual warning.

We currently have the torpedo warning icon and direction they are approaching from, extending the trajectory cone would make avoidance a simpler matter. As it stands now you most change you point of view to see if your path intersect and what you need to do to avoid them. This often times exposes you to enemy fire.

To limit the amount of code or burden on the program, the trajectory cone be limited to 1km +/- distance either side of the ship. In a nature similar to the smoke screens laid down by DD's. The program currently knows a torpedo is on your path and how close it is.

What I would like to see is for one of the Function keys to be changed, so that using it gives an audible warning saying something like:  "Look Out!  I Fired Torpedoes!"

This would be something that would be super simple for development to implement in the game.  

It would give DD and CL commanders the ability to send out an audible warning alert whenever they launch torpedoes.   Currently one can only do that in chat.   But typing out a message is far more time consuming, compared to just pressing a function key.   And having an audible warning would make sure that the warning is heard and received.    A post to the in game chat can be easily overlooked while playing a game.

Any chance that such a simple change like this could be done, to help address this problem???

I think that this would be a nice enhancement..

Edited by Lance53, 11 March 2017 - 08:45 AM.

Legal_Legend #9 Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Bump

Sabot_100 #10 Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLance53, on 11 March 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

What I would like to see is for one of the Function keys to be changed, so that using it gives an audible warning saying something like:  "Look Out!  I Fired Torpedoes!"

I like the idea but it should have limits such as:

It only works if you have TT in the water. The guys just spamming messages either wouldn't get anything or it says something else.

or

You click on a friendly (minimap or on screen) and only they hear the message. Multiple friendlies would require multiple clicks.

It would be best if it flashed the grid boxes where your TT are to where they are heading (at least) so those on the other side of the map would know the message did not apply to them.

Umikami #11 Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

View PostLegal_Legend, on 30 September 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

I understand the idea behind this change, but question the implementation, for the following reason.

IMHO, most players who are UNINTENTIONALLY team killed have this happen because they TURNED into torps which were running.

Most of the teamkills I see happen because the player killed turned into the oncoming torps of another player. The player killed was not going to be hit until he turned.

Adding code ALWAYS slows down a game. Everything that happens in game has to be coded, processed, and implemented; and all that takes time, so adding features slows down processing. I don't see where the benefits of this warrant that.

Vaporisor #12 Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Ensign

• Members

It would be nice to get just a simple torp warning system.  Something that any ship can hit and it gives an audio warning and ping on map.  Maybe optional collision indicator thst shows friendly torps.

Doesnt need to be fancy.  Just something to help peeps.  It should be a tool, nothing more.  Responsibility still on launcher to ensure they arent going to force teammate to doom by blocking their maneuvering.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users