The Bayern.... Fan Club?

15 inch guns Krupp Armor Tank Battering Ram

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

HazeGrayUnderway #61 Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:25 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I like this ship quite a bit.  I went with ASM1 to improve Main Battery gunnery.  I have only a 10 or 11pt captain on with CE fitted.  No AFT, no Secondaries Build.  With ASM1 I actually like the shot groups of Bayern's guns and she rewards me with nice, solid salvos, hits.

She has more speed than the USN Standards I have.  She can punch through the armor of AZ, etc. with her 15" guns.  Unlike my Fuso and Mutsu, Bayern does not fold when taking the first nasty hit.  In average damage so far my Bayern is easily eclipsing my Mutsu (despite 16" guns), Arizona, Dunkerque.

A good blend of power, speed, protection at Tier VI.  Only issue is when I have to face Tier VIII BBs.

AdmiralThunder #62 Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 28 March 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

I like this ship quite a bit.  I went with ASM1 to improve Main Battery gunnery.  I have only a 10 or 11pt captain on with CE fitted.  No AFT, no Secondaries Build.  With ASM1 I actually like the shot groups of Bayern's guns and she rewards me with nice, solid salvos, hits.

She has more speed than the USN Standards I have.  She can punch through the armor of AZ, etc. with her 15" guns.  Unlike my Fuso and Mutsu, Bayern does not fold when taking the first nasty hit.  In average damage so far my Bayern is easily eclipsing my Mutsu (despite 16" guns), Arizona, Dunkerque.

A good blend of power, speed, protection at Tier VI.  Only issue is when I have to face Tier VIII BBs.

​Yup, I agree. Bismarck, Tirpitz, and North Carolina are too much for a Bayern. Go the other way if you can firing HE unless they are badly hurt. Amagi is better too but at least Bayern can hurt it back due to the typical weaker IJN armor. Still, it's guns punish Bayern when hitting.

dust340man #63 Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

• Members

View PostAdmiralThunder, on 29 March 2017 - 07:05 AM, said:

​Yup, I agree. Bismarck, Tirpitz, and North Carolina are too much for a Bayern. Go the other way if you can firing HE unless they are badly hurt. Amagi is better too but at least Bayern can hurt it back due to the typical weaker IJN armor. Still, it's guns punish Bayern when hitting.

​Not a fan of the Tirpitz as I believe its overrated and too frickin big a target!. I spent a day grinding the Bayern yesterday and she is a beast. The main guns are very accurate, great armor, smallish BB (less of a target) and I got citadels or multiple citadels in every game I played. Most players couldn't get AP shells to do any damage hardly to me while I was angled  while I repeatedly got great AP damage on angled ships like a New Mexico or Fuso. She also does well against Tier 7 ships also. Half the 20 games I played I did 80-110K in damage mainly with AP only HE in certain situations. I have a brawler secondary build and her secondaries tear up ships better than a Tirpitz imho. I purchased the Gneisenau this morning and I'm going with a brawler secondary build with it at first, hopefully I will like it as much as the Bayern which I can say is my favorite Tier 6 BB now.

Edited by dust340man, 02 April 2017 - 04:50 PM.

American ships: St. Louis, Phoenix, Pensacola, New York, Texas, Colorado, Wickes, Farragut, Mahan, Sims       Russian ships: Orlan, Bogatyr, Svetlana, Murmansk, Molotov, Derzki, Gnevny, Ognevoi  

Japanese shipsSouthern Dragon, ARP Ashigara, ARP Hagura, ARP Nachi, ARP Myoko, Ishizuchi, ARP Heil, ARP Kongo, ARP Krishima, ARP Haruna, Nagato, Umikaze, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Hatsuhuru, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu      German ships: Konigsberg, Yorck, Nassau, Konig, Bayern, Gneisenau, Tirpitz , G-101       

BarronRichthofen #64 Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:06 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

So I went over to Warships today looking at some stats and found something shocking to me. The Bayern is the ONLY German BB that is NOT the top dog for it's Tier. (Premium NOT counted)

We must rectify this egregious error. Fellow Kriegsmarine Captains play your Bayern until we have fixed this .

DaryaKonstantin #65 Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:29 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostBarronRichthofen, on 15 April 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

So I went over to Warships today looking at some stats and found something shocking to me. The Bayern is the ONLY German BB that is NOT the top dog for it's Tier. (Premium NOT counted)

We must rectify this egregious error. Fellow Kriegsmarine Captains play your Bayern until we have fixed this .

The problem with the Bayern is doing consistent damage with it. While its guns it hit hard, hitting can be hard. They're WW1-era 15" instead of the WW2 much more accurate (relatively speaking) ones Gneisenau and Bismark get. And you only get 8 rifles. Only Warspite, Dunkerque and Mutsu have equal number, and they're all much more accurate. Fuso, New Mexico and Arizona have 12 main guns, a 50 percent increase, which is huge, as it makes them somewhat less RNG-dependent.

Overall, objective stats wise, the Bayern is perhaps the best package tier 6 BB. Because while it's not amazing in anything compared to it's peers except a perhaps more effective armor layout, it's good in everything whose only real weakness is I-FD™ main gun dispersion. I noticed that that less I thought a shot would connect, the more chance it would.

Spoiler

Since WTR is so heavily based on damage and kills, which are erratic in the Bayern without a daily goat to sacrifice to RNGesus, bringing its stats up might be a challenge. By the way, what was the timescale for the stats? Ever? Past two weeks? That makes a difference.

Battleships: Bismark, TirpitzScharnhorst, Gneisenau, Warspite, Dunkerque, Fuso, New York, Ishizuchi, All ARP Kongo-class

Cruisers: Atago, Belfast, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Schors, Graf Spee, Duca D'Aosta, Leander, Furutaka, Omaha, Murmansk, Karlsruhe, Jurien, Emden, All ARP Myoko-class, Southern Dragon, ARP Takao

Destroyers: Tashkent, Ognevoi, Benson, Lo Yang, Sims, Blyskawica, Ashan,  Fubuki, Kamikaze, Minekaze, T-22

Carriers: Saipan (worst decision ever), Zuiho, Langely

HazeGrayUnderway #66 Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostDaryaKonstantin, on 15 April 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

The problem with the Bayern is doing consistent damage with it. While its guns it hit hard, hitting can be hard. They're WW1-era 15" instead of the WW2 much more accurate (relatively speaking) ones Gneisenau and Bismark get. And you only get 8 rifles. Only Warspite, Dunkerque and Mutsu have equal number, and they're all much more accurate. Fuso, New Mexico and Arizona have 12 main guns, a 50 percent increase, which is huge, as it makes them somewhat less RNG-dependent.

Overall, objective stats wise, the Bayern is perhaps the best package tier 6 BB. Because while it's not amazing in anything compared to it's peers except a perhaps more effective armor layout, it's good in everything whose only real weakness is I-FD™ main gun dispersion. I noticed that that less I thought a shot would connect, the more chance it would.

Spoiler

Since WTR is so heavily based on damage and kills, which are erratic in the Bayern without a daily goat to sacrifice to RNGesus, bringing its stats up might be a challenge. By the way, what was the timescale for the stats? Ever? Past two weeks? That makes a difference.

Slap ASM1 on Bayern and she sings a completely different tune.  I dropped Secondaries Build on her because of that improved gunnery.

Capt_Q_Sparrow #67 Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:58 PM

• Members

View PostDartinbullets, on 30 August 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

The more I use the Bayern the more I dislike it!.  May free XP past it, beginning to dislike taking it out anymore.  Hate to waste good free XP just to dump it, I'll probably grind her out and save the XP for another day.  It is just so lacking it is boring and that is where the grind comes in.  

I have news for you Gneis and Bismarck are both HUGE disappointments to me . Bayern I can deal with .  Gun dispersion on Gneis and Bismarck are awful . Add in you end up with 75 % overpens and those 2 ships can't ever manage to do any real damage and end up getting burned to death  .

The worst part for me was how they brag up the Bismarck's gun accuracy in the Tech Tree description which is a TOTAL LIE  .

In so far as the Gneis it only has 6 guns so first you go into battle undergunned against every BB in the game. Then lousy gun dispersion and  it's a real mess .  6 K torps ?  Who cares ! By the time you get close enough to use them you are 90 % dead anyways.

Bayern is just fine  you'll have a lot of avg games but it's not a total loser like the next 2 tiers up are .

Edited by Capt_Q_Sparrow, 16 April 2017 - 09:04 PM.

DaryaKonstantin #68 Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:15 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

View PostCapt_Q_Sparrow, on 16 April 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

I have news for you Gneis and Bismarck are both HUGE disappointments to me . Bayern I can deal with .  Gun dispersion on Gneis and Bismarck are awful . Add in you end up with 75 % overpens and those 2 ships can't ever manage to do any real damage and end up getting burned to death  .

The worst part for me was how they brag up the Bismarck's gun accuracy in the Tech Tree description which is a TOTAL LIE  .

In so far as the Gneis it only has 6 guns so first you go into battle undergunned against every BB in the game. Then lousy gun dispersion and  it's a real mess .  6 K torps ?  Who cares ! By the time you get close enough to use them you are 90 % dead anyways.

Bayern is just fine  you'll have a lot of avg games but it's not a total loser like the next 2 tiers up are .

We're clearly not playing the same quality of ship. Your Bismark and Gneisenau must have been made with cheap imported steel in a forced labor sweatshop instead of quality Krupp product made by patriotic workers. I recommend finding your slip and going back for a full refund :amazed:

The Bayern is a ship you can continually push in, because it's a slow (ish at 26 knots) dreadnought and thus has a hard time overextending from support. Gneisenau and Bismark are some of the fastest battleships at 32 and 31 knots respectively. It's easy to find yourself overextended and alone on a flank if you aren't paying attention. I admit that has happened to me when I get too aggressive...which is more often then I would perhaps like to admit.

I usually hate looking up other's stats or worse bringing stats into an argument, but when some of ships I've enjoyed the most are having their reputation slandered, I must. You're not playing them correctly. It's that simple. Gneisenau and Bismark are wonderful ships, and the server stats support that. I don't know how you play them, but you're probably trying to put them in a role they don't excel in. Both need to be within 10km to be at their most effective, Gneis closer preferably. The German ship engineers were all bat-crapcrazy and the German BB armor scheme can't be used in a traditional manner. The closer you are, the more effective it is, because reasons. The deck armor is relatively bad because Germans love convertibles, and it's hard to hit the deck at close range.

As for fire man, I've not had many problems with it, and I don't take any skills to help mitigate it. It doesn't bother me. Honestly, being burned to death is probably another over-extension symptom or perhaps using the Damage Control skill too early.

Honestly, with the speed of these ships, I don't know how you find yourself 90% percent dead by brawl range unless you're eating a lot of torps. The Gneisenau's belt is actually a bit thicker than Bismark's, so you want people to shoot into that at an angle. Bismark has the magic 32mm of bow armor that can bow-tank anything except Yamato, which Gneisenau doesn't get.

I don't know man, I don't know. But

Spoiler

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 16 April 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Slap ASM1 on Bayern and she sings a completely different tune.  I dropped Secondaries Build on her because of that improved gunnery.

Really? ...How interesting. If I had the credits, I'd say this merits investigation.

Battleships: Bismark, TirpitzScharnhorst, Gneisenau, Warspite, Dunkerque, Fuso, New York, Ishizuchi, All ARP Kongo-class

Cruisers: Atago, Belfast, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Schors, Graf Spee, Duca D'Aosta, Leander, Furutaka, Omaha, Murmansk, Karlsruhe, Jurien, Emden, All ARP Myoko-class, Southern Dragon, ARP Takao

Destroyers: Tashkent, Ognevoi, Benson, Lo Yang, Sims, Blyskawica, Ashan,  Fubuki, Kamikaze, Minekaze, T-22

Carriers: Saipan (worst decision ever), Zuiho, Langely

AdmiralThunder #69 Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

• Members

View PostCapt_Q_Sparrow, on 16 April 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

​I haven't played the Bismarck yet as I am only to Gneisenau but I pretty much agree with you on that one. I actually don't care for it.

Only 6 guns and they are god awful inaccurate. Thank god they reload fast at 26 seconds so you can sort of make up for the terrible accuracy over the course of a game with the sheer number of salvos you can fire. The secondary's and AA are actually pretty good on it. The torps are good too though and can't agree with you there. 6km isn't a bad range. It's really fast which is nice as well. Not being left behind as everyone else pushes up, being able to actually run away when you need to, and having the ability to respond to a change and get to the other side of the map in good time is a big plus for the ship.

Unfortunately it's acceleration is god awful. Takes forever to get up to speed. God help you if you run into an island if there is anything with torpedoes around because if so you are dead meat. Takes FOREVER to get up to speed and change between F/R. It also turns like it is stuck in cold molasses with it's massive turning radius and long hull. Reminds me a lot of the T5 Russian CL Kirov in that respect. Huge ship that is fast straight line but with terrible acceleration and a massive turning radius.

Overall, while I do okay with the Gneisenau, I do not like it and will not be keeping it when/if I make Bismarck like I have with Konig and Bayern. Love those 2 ships and will keep them always. Also, FWIW, I find Bismarck to be a daunting opponent. Very tough to deal with. Now, I am only up to T7 ships so I have not been in a game where the Bismarck is bottom tier. It is always above me so that may play into it being so much better than anything I have. I hope to some day get to it and be able to evaluate it for myself.

Edited by AdmiralThunder, 17 April 2017 - 01:03 PM.

HazeGrayUnderway #70 Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostDaryaKonstantin, on 16 April 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

Really? ...How interesting. If I had the credits, I'd say this merits investigation.

I tried her out with ASM1 after I did the same thing on Tirpitz.  Tirpitz secondaries are no longer special these days, it's actually the worst for Tier VIII BBs now.  So I needed to find another more reliable way to do damage.  And that meant falling back onto improving her Main Battery, so ASM1 helped in that.

After that I tried the same thing with Bayern and it's a nice change.  Not saying she'll be a "Sniper" but the rounds are a bit more consistent and that's all I can ask for in a BB.  A Tier VI BB really cannot rely on Secondary Battery when she's constantly seeing Tier VIII threats.

crzyhawk #71 Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Admiral

• Members
  • Beta Testers

I disliked this ship, and I disliked the Gnope nearly as much.   Oh I did plenty of damage, just couldn't buy wins in it.

Admiral_Thrawn_1 #72 Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:56 AM

Lieutenant

• Members

I just got the Bayern and only put equipment on it, but still have stock hull and I am still doing great in it, loving the 350mm of belt armor it has along with having that on few other spots on the ship making it very trollish to kill in good hands and making Brawling a blast.

AdmiralThunder #73 Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

• Members

View PostHazeGrayUnderway, on 17 April 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

I tried her out with ASM1 after I did the same thing on Tirpitz.  Tirpitz secondaries are no longer special these days, it's actually the worst for Tier VIII BBs now.  So I needed to find another more reliable way to do damage.  And that meant falling back onto improving her Main Battery, so ASM1 helped in that.

After that I tried the same thing with Bayern and it's a nice change.  Not saying she'll be a "Sniper" but the rounds are a bit more consistent and that's all I can ask for in a BB.  A Tier VI BB really cannot rely on Secondary Battery when she's constantly seeing Tier VIII threats.

That is why I did not bother with a secondary build on Bayern and went with ASM1. I find Bayern to be quite good at range with it as well. Secondary build is wasted on anything below T7/T8 IMO.

Edited by AdmiralThunder, 18 April 2017 - 01:56 PM.

dust340man #74 Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:46 AM

• Members

The Bayern is still one of my favorite BBs even though I've been playing my Gneisenau and Tirpitz more lately. Took her out over the weekend and had a great game! 91K damage, 4 sunk, First Blood and Devastating Strike both on a Furutaka with two citadels. Then citadeled a Cleveland for my second kill and then sunk a Nurmberg for my 3rd kill all in about 3 minutes. Then I went east on the Fault line map to take on two BB's a Warspite and New Mexico which I then turned around after engaging and stayed angled away to each one. Sank the Warspite with a citadel and 41K damage on it and the New Mexico sailed off as he wanted no more of my Bayern. In capable hands the Bayern is the Beast of Tier 6 BBs imho. I have the secondary build to keep those pesky DDs away plus she's a pretty good brawler too.

Edited by dust340man, 02 May 2017 - 04:50 AM.

American ships: St. Louis, Phoenix, Pensacola, New York, Texas, Colorado, Wickes, Farragut, Mahan, Sims       Russian ships: Orlan, Bogatyr, Svetlana, Murmansk, Molotov, Derzki, Gnevny, Ognevoi  

Japanese shipsSouthern Dragon, ARP Ashigara, ARP Hagura, ARP Nachi, ARP Myoko, Ishizuchi, ARP Heil, ARP Kongo, ARP Krishima, ARP Haruna, Nagato, Umikaze, Mutsuki, Fubuki, Hatsuhuru, Akatsuki, Shiratsuyu      German ships: Konigsberg, Yorck, Nassau, Konig, Bayern, Gneisenau, Tirpitz , G-101       

rinker2343 #75 Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

Seaman

• Members

I set my Bayern up as a secondary build and have had a great deal of success with her. I have enjoyed both Konig and Bayern and really just play these two ships lately to build up their respective captains.

DarfTarts421 #76 Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:10 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

I've been out of the Bayern for two months now, and to this day, my only two Krakens were in this ship.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users