The Bayern.... Fan Club?

15 inch guns Krupp Armor Tank Battering Ram

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

JochenHeiden #1 Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:46 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

I really thought I would hate this ship given what I have heard on the forums, but it hasn't been a horrible grind so far.  I am at 40k experience in the first day, fortunately had some good camo saved up with flags, but a lot of it was from normal in game performance.  Despite what I have read, the gun dispersion is not as miserable as claimed.  The overpenning is not anything more than König or Kaiser were giving me, and I have gotten a LOT of citadel hits on enemy cruisers.  I think this ship has a somewhat undeserved bad reputation, and while not as dominant as the König is at Tier V, this thing holds its own when with like-tiered ships.

EDIT:  I should state that I free XP'd all the upgrades and B hull, so I never experienced a stock Bayern, but I did that to all of the other German BBs as well, so no big deal.  I am not a fan of A hull game play on ANY ship, regardless of what it is.  It's just unnecessarily tortuous (#AhullColoradoSuicideCauser).

Edited by JochenHeiden, 27 August 2016 - 11:49 PM.

A super special thank you to Eric_Von_Hess for his incredibly generous gift of Mikhail Kutuzov!

|KRG| Kriegsmaschine - Prushn & JochenHeiden, division partners for life!

Please visit my Youtube page for exciting WOWS Battle Replays:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCouxqbVLTQRue1omZ-INlag

1Sherman #2 Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:58 PM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostJochenHeiden, on 27 August 2016 - 11:46 PM, said:

and I have gotten a LOT of citadel hits on enemy cruisers. 

My Colorado and Warspite are begging to know what you sacrificed to RNGesus in order to do that. I haven't citadelled cruisers since the beginning of the summer.

"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art."

"War. It's all you've ever known, isn't it? You were so young when you survived the Clone War. No wonder you're as equipped in spirit to fight as well as you do. War is, in your blood. I study the art of war, work to perfect it. But you, you were forged by it.

"Everything leading up to this moment has been rehearsal. The real performance is about to begin. I'm counting on it."

"They revealed their meager defenses. Now we will crush them."

"I'm not accepting surrenders at this time. I want you to know failure, utter defeat, and that it is I who delivers it crashing down upon you. Now. let us proceed."

JochenHeiden #3 Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:04 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View Post1Sherman, on 27 August 2016 - 11:58 PM, said:

My Colorado and Warspite are begging to know what you sacrificed to RNGesus in order to do that. I haven't citadelled cruisers since the beginning of the summer.

Two rounds ago, I fired a hate burst at a Molotov that was nearly bow on to me but backing up at around 14km range.  I hit it twice, and both hits were Citadel hits.  I think it did over 22k damage.

A super special thank you to Eric_Von_Hess for his incredibly generous gift of Mikhail Kutuzov!

Please visit my Youtube page for exciting WOWS Battle Replays:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCouxqbVLTQRue1omZ-INlag

1Sherman #4 Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:13 AM

Commander

• Alpha Tester

View PostJochenHeiden, on 28 August 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

Two rounds ago, I fired a hate burst at a Molotov that was nearly bow on to me but backing up at around 14km range.  I hit it twice, and both hits were Citadel hits.  I think it did over 22k damage.

Edited by 1Sherman, 28 August 2016 - 01:37 PM.

"To defeat an enemy you must know them. Not simply their battle tactics, but their history, philosophy, art."

"War. It's all you've ever known, isn't it? You were so young when you survived the Clone War. No wonder you're as equipped in spirit to fight as well as you do. War is, in your blood. I study the art of war, work to perfect it. But you, you were forged by it.

"Everything leading up to this moment has been rehearsal. The real performance is about to begin. I'm counting on it."

"They revealed their meager defenses. Now we will crush them."

"I'm not accepting surrenders at this time. I want you to know failure, utter defeat, and that it is I who delivers it crashing down upon you. Now. let us proceed."

Blutbad #5 Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:32 AM

Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Yeah it's fairly decent, but slow everything I use the Sharn parallel and have a hard time adjusting to everything 10x slower, I noticed that dispersion is a lot better when firing at an angle not straight broadside.

JochenHeiden #6 Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Members

Well, I don't know what ship all the haters from the "Bayhern" thread are using, but this thing is BEAST.  I find it equally useful at its max range, as well as point blank.  I am not getting the consistently bad dispersion that everyone else is getting.  On the contrary, I find it to be quite typical of all BB dispersion, with some going everywhere and some all hitting.  That's about normal for every battleship I've ever used, nothing outrageous on the Bayern in that department.

Check out the round I just had!  It started out as a long-range battle where I was taking shots at 17km out, but near the end, there was a high-health König on the enemy team that ambushed me, and being out of repair parties and having 12k less HP than he did, I decided to close range and rely on my bigger guns.  The battle ended in a tight circling 1.5km duel with my team cheering me on.  I decimated the König and basically allowed us to win on points as the time ended.  Sadly, a friendly got in crosshairs earlier in the battle as I was engaging a destroyer, so I ended up with the pink badge of courage for a few rounds, but this was one of my best performances in a battleship in quite some time, and I even somehow managed to "brawl" which I normally hate doing! 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by JochenHeiden, 28 August 2016 - 04:07 AM.

Dartinbullets #7 Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

You can get citadels, not very many and even some on BBs as well as CAs.  It does fair in the damage department, nothing great but she has her moments, just not that many.  Not much difference between stock and upgraded IMO in terms of performance.  I don't hate the Bayern but can't say that I think it's a great ship either.  Last battle I took out a NC, had to hide behind an island and when the inexperienced NC capt. came close enough I came out and rammed him.   He acted like he was going to sneak around the corner and shoot me, that is about the only way I could have sunk him, no other support in the area and he had a couple of CAs in the area.  No, I don't hate the ship but I won't waste a port slot on her either.

BullHalsey #8 Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostDartinbullets, on 28 August 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

You can get citadels, not very many and even some on BBs as well as CAs.  It does fair in the damage department, nothing great but she has her moments, just not that many.  Not much difference between stock and upgraded IMO in terms of performance.  I don't hate the Bayern but can't say that I think it's a great ship either.  Last battle I took out a NC, had to hide behind an island and when the inexperienced NC capt. came close enough I came out and rammed him.   He acted like he was going to sneak around the corner and shoot me, that is about the only way I could have sunk him, no other support in the area and he had a couple of CAs in the area.  No, I don't hate the ship but I won't waste a port slot on her either.

Agreed, has it's moments here and there but overall not a great ship.  Last battle with full HP I came under mass HE fire from two tier VIII and one tier VII cruiser and an Ognevoi; in the time it took me to turn around and move about 1km in the opposite direction to get behind an island, I got an HE dev strike on one of the cruisers, they set six fires, last three burned out of control, massive superstructure damage.  Ship went from full HP to blown up in just over one minute, right after I got to cover.  It was just annihilated and nothing I could do about it, even with the dev strike.  NM would have survived that and bounced back from it to fight again.

Dartinbullets #9 Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

The more I use the Bayern the more I dislike it!.  May free XP past it, beginning to dislike taking it out anymore.  Hate to waste good free XP just to dump it, I'll probably grind her out and save the XP for another day.  It is just so lacking it is boring and that is where the grind comes in.  

gunstones #10 Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:13 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

I get fairly decent games in the Bayern, but personally I'm not a fan. I only decided to play German BBs because of the fast speed, reload, turret traverse and armor. But the Bayern really only has good armor. It doesn't share the characteristics some of the other German battleships have and to me feels "out of place".

I would rather play the Konig at tier 6 If given the opportunity. Bayern reminds me of a US battleship, or Warspite. I didn't play the Germans to get a ship that feels so similar to those, so far for me it kinda left a sour taste in my mouth. I wont be keeping her in my dock like I have with Konig.

However that's not to say the Bayern is a bad ship or you shouldn't give her a good shot, thats just my two cents and experience with her. Luckily I'm at 75k XP and need only a few more battles to get the Gneisenau!

Spongeman131 #11 Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:56 AM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Beta Testers

Got the ship upgraded and love it. Started playing it a little and the more I ground up to my Gneisenhau the more I realized I actually hate it more than anything in the line so far, including the Kaiser.

centarina #12 Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:15 AM

Rear Admiral

• Members

I just got it and upgraded to b hull using xp I have saved up.     its a strong ship, even better than konig.    good gun, good armor and strong all around ship.   it really feels like   nagato jr, with 7km secondary and nice turning radius.   good midrange ship with brawling capability.  So far, I prefer it over new mexico. should be better once I get the captain retrained.    I am not even a BB main guy, but it sure shoots nice and turns nice.

IJN: Mikasa,  Ichizuchi, Fuso, Amagi, Katori, kuma, Zao, Tachibana, KamikazeR, Shinonome, Shiratsuyu, Akizuki, Yugumo PA Anshan  

VFM: Aurora,Svietlana,  Murmansk, Budyonny, Chapayev, D.Donskoi, Ognevoi, Kiev, Udaloi,Grosovoi,  Khab  FRDougay T, Le Gal

USN:   New York, North Carolina,Phoenix,  Marblehead,  Indianapolis, Baltimore,  Farragut, Sims,Benson,Fletcher, Bogue    RN Leander, Edinburgh   

KM:  Konig Albert, Bayern, Graf Spee, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FDG, Emden, Karlsruhe  , Roon, Lib Maas         ARP:All

Notser Certified Potato

Xwing_Red1 #13 Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

So.. I heard that there is  Bayern fan club...  :playing:

citylightva #14 Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:29 PM

Seaman

• Members

I love that all this ship does is lose lose lose...Doesn't matter if it's good or not.  Good game or not.  It has the amazing ability to draw only the stupidest of the stupid on the server.  It certainly can't dictate a battle once you're down enough ships because of range and LOLAccuracy.  It doesn't suck as a ship but mine sure sucks in my port...

Medevil #15 Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:00 AM

Petty Officer

• Members

I can't wait to get the grinding over with and sell mine.

thehelmsman #16 Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:33 PM

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester

View Postcitylightva, on 27 September 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

I love that all this ship does is lose lose lose...Doesn't matter if it's good or not.  Good game or not.  It has the amazing ability to draw only the stupidest of the stupid on the server.  It certainly can't dictate a battle once you're down enough ships because of range and LOLAccuracy.  It doesn't suck as a ship but mine sure sucks in my port...

This. If the battle turns against you early, it is VERY hard to turn it around in this ship. Very team-dependent. And it seems most teams are utter trash, these days...

--Helms

THE HARBOR

JojoTheMongol #17 Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

Ensign

• Members

Bayern was a beast for me in Ranked. Out of 5 battles I won 4 of them. Didn't take me long to hit 15 (started at 19).

The Bayerns ability to tank is compounded when there aren't that many enemy ships shooting at you.

Wowzery #18 Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Commander

• Members

I really wanted to like this ship, but I just can't seem to win in it.  Sure, I can take a beating, but it just doesn't feel like I do much damage in it compared to other T6 BBs.

citylightva #19 Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:56 PM

Seaman

• Members

View PostJojoTheMongol, on 10 October 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

Bayern was a beast for me in Ranked. Out of 5 battles I won 4 of them. Didn't take me long to hit 15 (started at 19).

The Bayerns ability to tank is compounded when there aren't that many enemy ships shooting at you.

I can definitely see that being helpful.

HollywoodMM #20 Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:43 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

At 15.5 range it sucks, but once you have the B hull and your are reaching out to 17.7km, it's much more of a gamer.   I decided to save my free XP and go Premium for a month instead to have some fun with it and move forward to the Gnice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users