Info for Win 10 users - Potential Black Screen Issue

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

NyxWGA #1 Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:26 PM

Player Experience Supevisor

• Developers

Happy Saturday Captains!

After the most recent Windows 10 updates, players who have their client set to Full Screen are experiencing a black screen when attempting to log-in, and then the client stops responding.

We are currently working with Microsoft to resolve this issue.

To avoid the issue, players can choose to set WoWS to "Windowed" or "Full-Screen Windowed" in their settings, or can choose to hold off on updating their Win 10 system.

Here are step by step instructions on adjusting the setting in WoWS:

Solution 1:
  • Open the game folder (e.g. C:\Games\World_of_Warships).
  • Find 'Preferences.xml' file and open it with NotePad or similar text editing software.
  • Find  <windowMode> line
  • Change this parameter to  <windowMode>0<windowMode> , to activate the 'Windowed' mode or to <windowMode>2<windowMode> to activate 'Full-Screen windowed mode'
  • Close the file saving all the changes.

Solution 2:
  • Delete 'preferences.xml' file.
WARNING! This will reset ALL of your setting to default (which include 'Windowed' mode).

javascript:void(0)

Raven114 #2 Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

Ok, I have Win 10 and never experienced the problem. mine is set to full screen.:look:

Macho_MH #3 Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

Seaman

• Members

When I set my Client to Full Screen Windowed I just have seconds of intense lag...Does it have something to do with my preferences?
1015719944.png

RipNuN2 #4 Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

Commander

• Members

I havent had the black screen issue since I was using Fullscreen (windowed) but it did start to pull up the taskbar when ingame anytime the mouse was near the bottom of the screen which it had not been doing prior to the update. Good to know to avoid the fullscreen problem though.

GasolineDream #5 Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

Petty Officer

• Members

Just recently I ended up with the black screen issue. It would basically lock up my computer when I would exit the client and the screen went black. I tried the full screen windowed option and the black screen went away. Works like a charm now. 

Blah, blah blah blah boring, blah! 

Macabe #6 Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Supertest Coordinator
  • Members
    Alpha Tester
    In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers
    Supertester

I've been having a black screen iasue but it's been on exit when using alt f4.

Fleet of Fog Commander

Supremacy League Admin and Head Referee

Self-Proclaimed Forum Mascot

Give me Death or Give me a Plush Torpedo

Kitsunelegend #7 Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:57 PM

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

And this is why I'm still using windows 8.1! :great:

Lol Joking aside, thanks for the info Nyx. Wish you all luck on getting this fixed soon. :)

I is potato incarnate. I taste good with bacon. Fear my potato-yness! >=D

Bacon and coffee pleases teh kitsune -w- 

<a data-cke-saved-href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t3oH4sk.png</a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...t3oH4sk.png</a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...4sk.png</a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t...png</a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'><a href='http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://i.imgur.com/t.../a></a></a></a></a>

[Battleships:] Mikasa, South Carolina, Ishizuchi, Arkansas BetaImperator Nikolai I, TexasWarspite, Arizona, Dunkerque, New Mexico, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, North Carolina, Alabama, Bismarck, Tirpitz, Iowa [Cruisers:] Erie, Albany, Emden, Aurora, Oleg, St Louis, KatoriYubari, Konigsburg, Marblehead, Omaha, Murmansk, ClevelandMolotov, Perth, Duca D'Aosta, Atlanta, Atago, Indianapolis, Prinz Eugen, Mikhail Kutuzov [Carriers:] Saipan [Destroyers:] Tachibana, SmithWickes, Clemson, Isokaze, Lo YangCampbeltownBlyskawicaSimsAnshan

Arpeggio ships: ARP Kongou, ARP Kirishima, ARP Hiei, ARP Ashigara, ARP Nachi, ARP Takao

AVR_Project #8 Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:13 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Yes, I must move that 'Upgrade to Windows 10' nag screen off the bottom every time I start my computer.

PLEASE let me know when Windows 8 is no longer supported.

I will buy a new computer, and not suffer the glitches, lost-incompatible drivers, and learning curve on how to keep it from spying on me.

I'm convinced that if I upgrade it to Windows 10, a new nag screen will appear....

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11

So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what? I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between. But there is still time to seize that one last, fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference.  -- Babylon 5

Goose21891 #9 Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Beta Testers
  • In AlfaTesters

Odd. Only issue I've run into is Alt-Tab causing the UI to glitch out once in a while.

vonKaiser #10 Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Members

I've been having the issue, but not on log in it's when I close the game.  Either shutting it down properly when playing, or when a replay ends, the screen goes blank, PC still running but I've got to do a soft reboot to get the display back, I always figured it was because I'm running my monitor on HDMI however lol

For the love of god Wargaming, please remove the atrocious Citadel hit noise

Sincerely, a Tinnitus sufferer. (Edit 7/7/16 - Thank you soooooo much for the change Wargaming)

Random Gaming Moments, Ship Reviews and gameplay breakdown by yours truly: https://www.youtube.com/c/vonkaiser

Sandman1969 #11 Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Beta Testers

What recent update? The last one I got was on the 9th.

Submarine_Wahoo #12 Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

Commander

• Supertester
  • Beta Testers

View PostAVR_Project, on 20 August 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

Yes, I must move that 'Upgrade to Windows 10' nag screen off the bottom every time I start my computer.

I will buy a new computer, and not suffer the glitches, lost-incompatible drivers, and learning curve on how to keep it from spying on me.

I'm convinced that if I upgrade it to Windows 10, a new nag screen will appear....

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11

"Shoot the Sunza B****es!" (... and the Wahoo did!)

-- One of 52 American WWII submarines on Eternal Patrol --

DarthDoge #13 Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Captain

• Members

View PostAVR_Project, on 20 August 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 11

There will never be a 'Windows 11' Microsoft have stated they will just 'overhaul' the current operating system. Eventually, everyone will have Windows 10. Whether it be in two years or twenty years.

Legendary_Typo #14 Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:11 PM

Fleet Admiral

• Members

View PostAVR_Project, on 20 August 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Or you could get Windows 10 and just turn off the spying.

Eric_Von_Hess, Thank You.

Atago, Scharnhorst, Graf SpeeMarbleheadMurmansk, Katori, Emden, Mikasa, SmithTachibana.

ARP Takao, ARP AshigaraARP HaguroARP MyokoARP NachiARP HarunaARP HieiARP Kirishima, ARP KongoSouthern Dragon.

Zao, Admiral Hipper, Chapayev, Edinburgh, New Orleans, Gnevny, Kongo, Konig, Minekaze, Mutsuki, New York, Nicholas, T-22.

BladedPheonix #15 Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:54 AM

Captain

• Alpha Tester

I only have this problem with WOT, not WOWS. Will WG be doing this for all their games or just WOWS?:amazed:

Gunny614 #16 Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:00 AM

Seaman

• Members

I've only run across this issue when my laptop is docked and has two external displays (total of 3 in use).  If I unplug one of the external displays it works just fine; even without restarting the game.

Kuckoo #17 Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:50 AM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Windows7 FTW

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm, but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." - T.S. Eliot, The Cocktail Party

SergeantHop #18 Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:57 AM

Captain

• Members

Interesting. Haven't seen this on any of my three systems, and all of them are on 10. Wonder what's causing it.

#1 in the world for max base XP in Tirpitz

Check out my premium camo thread here!

Herr_Reitz #19 Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:00 AM

Captain

• Beta Testers

I loaded up and ran Real Temp 3.70 on my i5 Asus laptop after following your suggestion of the full screen window. Sorry, but that's not long-term doable. The temperatures reported max'd out at 95 degrees C or roughly 149 to 151 F. What I can tell by a quick research is simply this - 100C is considered overheating and can result in damage. 

I wish I had been tracking this in earlier releases... but I perceive the client software seems to be running less efficiently than prior, earlier releases. Disk I/O and even network I/O are perfectly fine. The 780+meg game is what is not running, well, efficiently.

Input? tia

SergeantHop #20 Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:03 AM

Captain

• Members

View PostHerr_Reitz, on 20 August 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

I loaded up and ran Real Temp 3.70 on my i5 Asus laptop after following your suggestion of the full screen window. Sorry, but that's not long-term doable. The temperatures reported max'd out at 95 degrees C or roughly 149 to 151 F. What I can tell by a quick research is simply this - 100C is considered overheating and can result in damage. 

I wish I had been tracking this in earlier releases... but I perceive the client software seems to be running less efficiently than prior, earlier releases. Disk I/O and even network I/O are perfectly fine. The 780+meg game is what is not running, well, efficiently.

Input? tia

I don't think that's the window mode causing that, unless it starts thinking that it doesn't need the fan on if it's not full screen. Change your GPU settings to ramp the fan if the .exe is running, or go into advanced power settings and tell the computer to run on active cooling.

If neither of these work, it probably needs to be torn apart and dusted out/get a new application of thermal paste.

#1 in the world for max base XP in Tirpitz

Check out my premium camo thread here!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users