Cruisers; Steel, Paper, or Fiction?

cruisers Heavy Cruisers Light Cruisers Protected Cruisers Armored Cruisers paper ships

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Cragger #41 Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Alpha Tester

The problem with the paper label in this post (And the game's use of them) is there is a wild difference between three sets of paper used.

General Plans - This is the exact plans the shipyards would follow and try to achieve, deviating only when needed.

Design proposals - these are basic 'designs' and are just a general idea of x armament, x expected machinery, x profile, and x armor. A shipyard could not build from these as they may not even be feasible with current construction techniques and/or machinery.

Requirements listing - This isn't a design even it's simply a listing of what a navy wanted from a ship and would be given to a design board to try to achieve. The few ships in the game made from these are essentially fictional.

Tjtod #42 Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:48 PM

Seaman

• Beta Testers

I personally would want Alaska as tier 10 cruiser coming from the Baltimore, which would allow the Des Moines to end off a potential CL line, if we ever get a cruiser line split. I do understand if she is put in as a tier 7 BB but wouldn't like it.

Phoenix_jz #43 Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:10 PM

Commander

• Beta Testers

MAJOR UPDATE!!!!!

So, I've updated the thread once again, for the new information of the French cruisers!
Here's the new chart; 

So, a breakdown of exactly what these new cruisers are, at least those we know;

Tier I - Bougainville - A class of colonial sloops built in the '30s, these things saw quite a bit of action in WWII, and within the class share one of the odd occurrences where two ships of the same class fire their guns in anger at each other, and sink one of them!

Tier II - Graviére - The last French protected cruiser, she's also the oldest ship in the game, beating out Albany by about a month. She saw action during WWI.

Tier III - Friant - Also known as Projet 171, from 1919, this was the first iteration of the design that would produce the Duguay-Trouin class light cruisers. They were smaller versions of the final design, featuring the 138.6mm gun so famous on french destroyers instead of D-T's 155mm guns.

Tier IV - Duguay-Trouin - France's first post-WWI class of major warships, these light cruisers saw action in every theatre of war, from the Atlantic to Pacific.

Tier V - Émile Bertin - The sole member of her class, this flotilla leader was the first French warship to mount triple turrets. She saw service in WWII before and after the Armistice.

Tier VI - La Galissonniére - The most powerful French light cruiser class to serve in WWII, the six ships saw action in the Mediterranean and Atlantic.

Tier VII - Algérie - The finest heavy cruiser France ever built, Algérie is often considered the best WNT cruiser, a perfect balance of speed, armor, and firepower. She's particularly well known for her thick deck armor and torpedo defense system. She's also a single sister, and briefly saw action in WWII before her scuttling at Toulon.

Tier VIII - Charles Martel - A blueprint design known as C5A3, this was to be a successor to the Algérie-class, a bit faster and better armored, but the biggest difference was a change to suing triple turrets for the 203mm guns.

Tier IX - Saint Louis - A design from 1940, the last CA plans France drew up. These were to replace the now aged Duguay-Trouin class cruisers, but a rather inconvenient occupation cut off any further development of the design. They were heavy cruisers, and although meant to succeed the D-T's, were really developments of the C5 designs (of which there were several, which included plans for autoloading 203mm guns).

Tier X - Henri IV - Umm.... Well, I've got no idea. As of now, this looks to be another Hindenburg, a wargaming fabrication... AFAIK, France did not continue CA development post-war, but this class shows what looks to be post-war weaponry... so unless I can find something suggesting otherwise, or WG just tells us what it is, she's being left orange for the moment.

That should hopefully be all correct, but as usual, if anyone spots anything incorrect, feel free to call me out on it! That's the point of it, after all! Also, if anyone finds out what Henri IV is... because I've got no clue... 

Happy Hunting!

My "Directory of Threads" <-- Various threads I've done you might find interesting, feel free to check it out!

​Most recent addition: USN Cruiser Split

mr3awsome #44 Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Fleet Admiral

• Supertester
  • Alpha Tester
    In AlfaTesters
    Beta Testers

View PostPhoenix_jz, on 07 March 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Tier III - Friant - Also known as Projet 171, from 1919, this was the first iteration of the design that would produce the Duguay-Trouin class light cruisers. They were smaller versions of the final design, featuring the 138.6mm gun so famous on french destroyers instead of D-T's 155mm guns.

I believe that the guns are 138.6mm/55 M1910s, the secondaries on French Battleships, rather than the smaller 138.6mm/25 or later weapons that were proposed/used for destroyers.

Otherwise it all seems great. :medal:

Poland has more unique warships to contribute than Canada.

renegadestatuz #45 Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Commander

• Members

Another forum member on here found out from a French Battleships book where the the French tier 10 cruiser more than likely came from.  And Killjoy found that her design is the exact same to what Dunkerque's original design was, a super heavy cruiser, until they canceled that design, going with the better armored fast battleship design that she came to be. That's why her conning tower and bridge are identical to the Dunk's.

http://forum.worldof...39#entry2856739

Edited by renegadestatuz, 08 March 2017 - 02:31 PM.

dark.png

blueribbon #46 Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

Seaman Recruit

• Members

View Postrenegadestatuz, on 08 March 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

Another forum member on here found out from a French Battleships book where the the French tier 10 cruiser more than likely came from.  And Killjoy found that her design is the exact same to what Dunkerque's original design was, a super heavy cruiser, until they canceled that design, going with the better armored fast battleship design that she came to be. That's why her conning tower and bridge are identical to the Dunk's.

http://forum.worldof...39#entry2856739

So WG just re-armed that design with a different caliber of guns? That sounds fairly plausible. Was there any development post-war on 240mm guns, or was that just made-up?

Also, in regards to the Orlan, checking it's page on the WoWS wiki says that it appears to be based off of an amalgamation of the different designs for the Project 37 destroyer. I'm not sure if that is enough to change it's color to blue though.

Finally, would you consider adding in the various premium ships into the list as well?

Lord_Magus #47 Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

So Henri IV is derived from the Navire de Ligne de 17500t, but with fantasy armament?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users