"Fun and engaging game mechanics"

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Crucis #41 Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

Rear Admiral

• Members

View PostShow_Me_Your_Cits, on 02 August 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 02 August 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

What I'm getting from this thread is that detonations need a bigger explosion, which I totally agree with. 

If they must stay then make them spectacular at least. I mean most people hate them but if we turn into a giant mushroom cloud and the ship breaks into 2-3 pieces when it happens I guess that makes it easier to live with because pretty colors! 

Like blow the turrets off or something. Just kablooie and back to port is bleh. 

In some cases, turrets were reported to have been blown off ships that detonated.  Remember that gun turrets, particularly on BB's, are held in place only by gravity.  And when BB's sink, they'll have their turrets simply fall off when and if that ship rolls over on its trip to the bottom.  Obviously, in the case of BB turrets, it will take a seriously powerful explosion to blow a main gun turret off, but supposedly it has happened.  So the idea of main gun turrets getting blown off by a mag detonation isn't far fetched at all.

El_Judarino #42 Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 02 August 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

What I'm getting from this thread is that detonations need a bigger explosion, which I totally agree with. 

Yes

We need this so badly. Something like that gut-wrenching video of HMS Barham, less the horror of the human element, would be a stellar addition. 

Pigeon_of_War #43 Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Assistant Producer

• Developers

View PostKombat_W0MBAT, on 02 August 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

Yes please! If RNG is going to poop on our party, at least let us go up in a blaze of glory! It would be pretty sweet if the audio scaled as well. This way people don't have to look at the chat menu to know that someone got detonated. =D

Consider it thrown into the official Feedback to the devs. 

I'm going to push hard for massive explosions via detonation. 

(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

Show_Me_Your_Cits #44 Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostCrucis, on 02 August 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

In some cases, turrets were reported to have been blown off ships that detonated.  Remember that gun turrets, particularly on BB's, are held in place only by gravity.  And when BB's sink, they'll have their turrets simply fall off when and if that ship rolls over on its trip to the bottom.  Obviously, in the case of BB turrets, it will take a seriously powerful explosion to blow a main gun turret off, but supposedly it has happened.  So the idea of main gun turrets getting blown off by a mag detonation isn't far fetched at all.

Don't they have some sort of brackets holding them on too? Mainly to combat excessive sea states, as you'd have to make the bracket bigger than the turret to fight gravity. 
Muh 1337 stets. 

Kombat_W0MBAT #45 Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostPigeon_of_War, on 02 August 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

Consider it thrown into the official Feedback to the devs. 

I'm going to push hard for massive explosions via detonation. 

Can't wait for people to fall out of their seats when their computer screen flashes white and their speakers reach their decibel threshold. You thought the citadel ringing noise was bad? Just wait till you get detonated! Your REAL ears will be ringing.

:teethhappy:

Jk

Thanks, Pigeon_of_War! +1

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT, 02 August 2016 - 05:55 PM.

SweetRollThief #46 Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Testers

View PostVekta408, on 02 August 2016 - 03:30 AM, said:

Being detonated is horrible. Detonating someone feels just as bad. It's like "oh look...I didn't out shoot, out maneuver or outwit you...the game just decided to RNG your life to me at random." It feels really cheesy both ways imo.

this is exactly how I feel. I've been in really fun 1v1s and then one of us gets detonated. It's just kind of like "bummer man, I was having fun". It actually kind of feels similar to when the game crashes. 

I suspect more people would be happy about removing detonations than those that would be upset. As in, removing dets would be a net gain for the community. But that's just my guess.

LittleWhiteMouse #47 Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

Captain

• WoWS Community Contributors
  • Members
    Beta Testers

POPULAR

I would personally prefer that Detonations be a two-stage event.

1. The Detonation begins with a cordite / ammunition fire.
    Ship takes an immediate massive hit to their hit points.  Affected weapon mount(s) are immediately destroyed.  Ship begins hemorrhaging more at an alarming rate, leading to the complete depletion of any remaining HP in a very short time (within 4 seconds).  The initial damage and all damage-over-time effects are treated as citadel damage for the purposes of recovery from the Repair Party consumable (10%).
  2. Graphically, a large column of flame jets out from the affected weapon mount where the detonation was sourced.  This gives players immediate feedback that horrible things are going on.  It also lets the person who fired the shot go "whoa, look what I just did...!"
  3. The affected player may use their Damage Control Party to immediately halt the cordite burn.  This is the only way to save a ship and requires the player to be fast with their reflexes.  This represents some heroic effort on behalf of the crew to flood the magazine and save the ship, like what happened historically with the HMS Lion at Jutland.  Note that a ship that has done this can still be detonated by a subsequent hit.
  4. If the player does not or cannot stop the damage over time effect, when the ship reaches zero hit points, it graphically explodes in a horrendous kablooie, perhaps visible from space.  Everyone on the map should know that someone just detonated.  Yeah.  That big.

This means that anyone causing a Detonation is rewarded by doing a MASSIVE amount of damage to a ship.  A ship on less than half or low health probably won't have enough time to be able to use their Damage Control Party to survive the crippling hit, but a full health or near full health vessel may still have a chance to recover.  Visually, the impacts will be more spectacular, with immediate feedback not only to the player being detonated but the player that caused the detonation.  You can bet if they see the cordite fire plume jetting out from where  they hit the target that they'll be trying to aim for that point in the future.

Q♥  Most Recent Review: HMS Hood

Stratego89 #48 Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 02 August 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

Ship takes an immediate massive hit to their hit points.  Affected weapon mount(s) are immediately destroyed.  Ship begins hemorrhaging more at an alarming rate, leading to the complete depletion of any remaining HP in a very short time (within 4 seconds).  The initial damage and all damage-over-time effects are treated as citadel damage for the purposes of recovery from the Repair Party consumable (10%).
  2. Graphically, a large column of flame jets out from the affected weapon mount where the detonation was sourced.  This gives players immediate feedback that horrible things are going on.  It also lets the person who fired the shot go "whoa, look what I just did...!"
  3. The affected player may use their Damage Control Party to immediately halt the cordite burn.  This is the only way to save a ship and requires the player to be fast with their reflexes.  This represents some heroic effort on behalf of the crew to flood the magazine and save the ship, like what happened historically with the HMS Lion at Jutland.  Note that a ship that has done this can still be detonated by a subsequent hit.
  4. If the player does not or cannot stop the damage over time effect, when the ship reaches zero hit points, it graphically explodes in a horrendous kablooie, perhaps visible from space.  Everyone on the map should know that someone just detonated.  Yeah.  That big.

This means that anyone causing a Detonation is rewarded by doing a MASSIVE amount of damage to a ship.  A ship on less than half or low health probably won't have enough time to be able to use their Damage Control Party to survive the crippling hit, but a full health or near full health vessel may still have a chance to recover.  Visually, the impacts will be more spectacular, with immediate feedback not only to the player being detonated but the player that caused the detonation.  You can bet if they see the cordite fire plume jetting out from where  they hit the target that they'll be trying to aim for that point in the future.

This... PLEASE WG this. I would still like it if Detonations were also made less reliant on RNG as a whole but even just this would make them nowhere near as bad. Even having just a couple of seconds' chance to shut down a detonation and barely survive for a chance to fight back would make them feel so much less terrible on the receiving end and none the less wonderful from the sender's perspective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Stats mean absolutely nothing~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kombat_W0MBAT #49 Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

Commander

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 02 August 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

Spoiler

LWM, why do you have to have such brilliant ideas?? 

Ladies and gents, please spam her suggestion with +1's. This needs to happen. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT, 02 August 2016 - 08:48 PM.

Show_Me_Your_Cits #50 Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

Lieutenant Commander

• Members

Mouse's idea gets ALL THE UPVOTES. 
Muh 1337 stets. 

D_I_P_Scout #51 Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 02 August 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

That would be too cool to see if they could add that in.  I would want to watch games just to see the detonation, they could get CRAZY with the effects (Think HMS BARHAM or HMS HOOD Explosions).  And the ability to possibly (Read Rarely) keep the ship afloat would be a fun addition to!

Pigeon_of_War #52 Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:34 PM

Assistant Producer

• Developers

I like this idea.

I also still like the  idea of an immediate combustion and then massive explosion, because not all magazine explosion exactly have a warning (bomb explosions don't always have a "tell" like that. Maybe a 25% chance there is a cordite fire response for a player. 

(Main Avatar created by xtcmax)

(Signature avatar created by Kombat_W0MBAT)

Follow me on Twitter
Find us on Facebook!

Edgecase #53 Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

I appreciate the direction being taken here: transforming detonations into a mechanic that adds gameplay value rather than mostly randomness.

Zampy #54 Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Testers

All the ups for LWM today

Sir_Godz #55 Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 02 August 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

I want to see all ships with 5k of the exploding ship to receive critical module damage to.

https://www.youtube....h?v=YdrISbwy_zI

ADM_Badcat #56 Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

Yeah +1 LWM

Warships Today

ADM_Badcat Quartermaster First Rate TF5 Pelagic Pirates

DarthDoge #57 Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:04 PM

Captain

• Members

View PostLittleWhiteMouse, on 02 August 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

*LE' SNIP*

10/10 would upvote again.

In all seriousness, this idea should be implemented asap.

Sir_Apocolypse #58 Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:06 PM

Ensign

• Members

Figures, I already used all my upvotes today,  LWM will have to wait until tomorrow for mine.

Edit:  OK, all better now

Edited by wuvgun, 03 August 2016 - 05:43 PM.

Too Many ships too list...over 110 now....
Clan:  KNIGHTS OF THE ABYSS
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @ 4.0ghz, ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97, CORSAIR DDR3-1600 16GB, 
EVGA GTX970 x2SLI, EVGA SUPERNOVA1300G2 PSU, 

250GB SAMSUNG SSD x2 RAID0, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL HDD, CORSAIR H100I CPU COOLER, CASE CORSAIR AIR 540, WINDOWS 10 X64  20MBup/150MBdown

superdangerman #59 Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:08 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Alpha Tester
  • In AlfaTesters

do you mean something like this

This is a graphical representation

Edited by superdangerman, 02 August 2016 - 09:13 PM.

InventedThought #60 Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:17 PM

Chief Petty Officer

• Members

+1 :teethhappy:

Every one starts out with a bag of luck and an empty bag of XP.

The trick is to fill the bag with XP before the luck runs out! - The Darwin awards II

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users